Thread: Pinto vs Ztec

Liked: 3

Default Pinto vs Ztec

I'm considering moving into an FC from Club Fords but my local series is running Pinto's with Ztecs and scoring them the same. The Ztecs are all 00 or newer cars. So the questions is this....

Its my understanding a good 2 litre pinto will boast around 150 peak hp, which I believe is close the Ztec's peak. So assuming equal skill at the wheel could a decent pre 00 pinto based car say an RF97 compete with the newer Ztecs cars?

I'll sit back and watch the fireworks, it is the 4th of July after all.

Brad

Liked: 95

Default Short answer version

Since you are new the short answer is NO. Since you are new your homework begins by reading about a zillion post that you can search for here on Apex. Written by a guy with Pinto cars. However since you are new and most new guys don't end up with the "end game" car as a first car don't worry about it too much.
    JIM (2006 GLC CFC Champion)

3. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 442

So far this season even with the 40lbs it seems the Zetecs still have the advantage. But the Zetecs have had home field advantage so far. The coming weekend in Mission could tell a different story as the Pinto guys have home field advantage and the course is very different from what has been run so far.

If the Zetecs manage to win again in Mission then we might have to continue with more balast or move onto some other type of equalization.

Also if you send me an email at the NWFC address I will send you the lap times comparrison sheet we use it has all the lap times and in what cars, who was driving, Motor etc.

Roger

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 145

Actually we all run together but we are scored differently. Cars are divided for scoring purposes as follows:

97 to present, pre 97 / post 90 and pre 90. Points are awarded based on overall position and how many cars you finish ahead of, 1/2 point for each car in age group and 1 point for each newer car you beat. So even though Werner finished second to my Mygale at Spokane he scored more points on Sunday.

So far my ztec is faster by a second at Spokane and 1/2 second slower at Portland.

Best value for fun and points would look to be the 90-96 pinto cars at 10-15 k, no surprise......my pinto dynos higher but does not have the low end torque

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i3bfo5T6yik

Liked: 120

I second what Roger said and would like to add that Russ had home court in his pinto at Portland. He out qualified my dad and led most of the race until he had the rear let loose coming onto the front straight and my dad was close enough to make a move.

While writing my dad beat me to this,but, we do adjust points based on year of car and cars of similar or better era finished ahead of. This led to Werner actually scoring more points for finishing second than my dad did for winning the Sunday race at Spokane.

I'll let others chime in too as we are always interested in equalizing late model pinto's to zetecs. Currently they are within a second on lap times, so getting closer, but we need more data.

Here are the most recent readings referenced above:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...Pinto+upgrades

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...Pinto+upgrades

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...HBXMDNxZEVndk0

Here is unedited of Russ in pinto and my dad in the zetec at Portland a month ago.
    Green flag drops at 8 min

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by ccoffin View Post
    ....Here is unedited of Russ in pinto and my dad in the zetec at Portland a month ago. Green flag drops at 8 min
    The player says it's playing but it's not moving?
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 444

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    The player says it's playing but it's not moving?
    Work's just fine for me. Did you try turning it off and on again...

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Quote Originally Posted by ccoffin View Post
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...HBXMDNxZEVndk0

Here is unedited of Russ in pinto and my dad in the zetec at Portland a month ago.
    Green flag drops at 8 min

link says i nee the password LOL

Should work just fine as long as you click on the link above. It is not password protected. Might be Google is trying to have you sign in to your drive/gmail account cause Google just wants you to do that.

Also, if you have issues try opening in chrome as there shouldn't be any browser based compatibility issues with chrome.

Liked: 3

Thanks all!

I'd sure like to see this class/series grow to the car counts we used to see in Club Ford back in the 80s.

Brad

Thread Information