Liked: 177

Default Anybody with a spare pinion nut removal tool?

Anybody willing to sell me a pinion nut removal tool? Would rather not pay the $300 for Taylors if possible.

PM me if interested.
    I race communist race cars.

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling, there are rules." - Walter Sobchak

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Default You may already be aware of this....

After removing the pinion nut, some folks have used a lathe to remove the threads from the nut, thus turning it into a spacer. Viola! No change in gearbox performance, and no need for the expensive tool.

The downside of converting the nut to a spacer is you can no longer roll the car around on the shop floor after removing the bearing carrier, as the pinion shaft can now cock and jam tightly.

Liked: 218

Plus the fact Enterprise is considering not allowing what you describe. I don't think its official yet, but it has been discussed.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Liked: 68

Steve - why would they not allow it? Is it perceived to be a performance advantage, or just an unauthorized modification?
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Quote Originally Posted by SStadel View Post
    Plus the fact Enterprise is considering not allowing what you describe. I don't think its official yet, but it has been discussed.
    I will definitely hold off until this has been finalized. Thanks for the heads up Steve.

Contributing Member

Whoops, just noticed this was posted under FE. To quote the late great Emily Litella: never mind!

Liked: 218

One of the CSR's had dynoed two cars back to back and with everything else being the same got more hp out of the car with the pinion nut modified. I asked that they do the same car back to back with an unmodified nut and the modified nut just to be sure. Don't think that's been done yet. I will do it myself when I get a chassis dyno.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Contributing Member

Default I don't have a dog in this gearbox, but....

I asked that they do the same car back to back with an unmodified nut and the modified nut just to be sure.
    That would be the correct way to do it. I would encourage four runs in an A-B-B-A fashion.

Liked: 68

One of the CSR's had dynoed two cars back to back and with everything else being the same got more hp out of the car with the pinion nut modified. I asked that they do the same car back to back with an unmodified nut and the modified nut just to be sure. Don't think that's been done yet. I will do it myself when I get a chassis dyno.
    I'm betting that modifying the nut behind the wheel would make a bigger difference for nearly all FEs than changing the pinion nut.....
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Still waiting on Keven at Comprent to make the tool for me. Anybody have one I could borrow for a couple days so I can check the torque on mine before putting the gear stack in place?

I would like to run it as a spacer but I'm just too much of a wimp to row against the flow of advice against the idea. Especially if the pinion is wearing more rapidly according to some.

Thread Information