Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IndyCar aero

Liked: 254

Quote Originally Posted by a. pettipas View Post
    Sprint cars, modifieds, super modifieds?

We turn on the tv (laptop) and buy tickets to watch skill, bravery and risk... I do anyway.
    Me too but I don't want to watch someone die. I watched earnhardt's accident live. Saw replay of wheldon's and hundreds of replays from the 50, 60, 70, 80, 90s Grand Prix fatalities. Its foolish to have people perish for ENTERTAINMENT.

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84

Quote Originally Posted by rydawg011291 View Post
    Yes sprint cars, modifieds and super modifieds are open wheel in the sense that the wheels are exposed. The structure of the cars are still closed cockpit and they are never at 200+, I like roundy round racing but it is not a place for OW....

Also I think a lot do watch it for risk, I do as well, but to an extent. If the risk becomes more and more life threatening I have a huge problem with it.
    Uh yeah, I'm familiar with the architecture of each, all definitely true open wheel race cars and calling sprints and super mods 'closed' cockpit is a stretch, modifieds sure.

You ever been to Indy? I'm confident not many who have would ever wish the 500 to go away, despite the odd wishbone leg puncture... or worse. Not talking about the jet flyover, marching bands and all that other bs (admittedly that stuff is pretty cool too and certainly has it's place in the whole show), I mean seeing an IndyCar entering T1 at ~230, no lift (currently)... I can tell you it's forever etched in my mind. Maybe you've been, maybe you haven't, those in the latter category should reserve judgement concerning super-speedway open wheel racing, IMO of course.
    aaron

Liked: 52

Uh yeah, I'm familiar with the architecture of each, all definitely true open wheel race cars and calling sprints and super mods 'closed' cockpit is a stretch, modifieds sure.

You ever been to Indy? I'm confident not many who have would ever wish the 500 to go away, despite the odd wishbone leg puncture... or worse. Not talking about the jet flyover, marching bands and all that other bs (admittedly that stuff is pretty cool too and certainly has it's place in the whole show), I mean seeing an IndyCar entering T1 at ~230, no lift (currently)... I can tell you it's forever etched in my mind. Maybe you've been, maybe you haven't, those in the latter category should reserve judgement concerning super-speedway open wheel racing, IMO of course.
    I should of explained myself a little better, the fact that the cage on sprints and super mods are covering the driver more than an indycar, F2000, F1600 etc and that the short tracks don't allow the sprints and super mods to push over 200+ mph the risk is so much less.

I have never been to the 500 and I can imagine it being amazing to see cars doing 200+ without lifting the entire time. When crashes like Dan Wheldon happen and the multiple crashes that have happened in practice and qualifying does creates a lot of concern for the 500 and future oval races. I DO NOT want to see another driver die for our entertainment. Indycar needs to stick to roadcourses.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

Quote Originally Posted by 2BWise View Post
    Comparing the success of NASCAR to Indy is a little silly. Not only because of the juggernaut of a money maker NASCAR is, but the tanks that are stock cars.

How many OW cars do you see at your Friday nights roundly round races. Let me answer for you. None! Outside of Indy car there is no OW oval racing. Anyone whom is even moderately invested in circle track racing wants to aim for NASCAR. Indy car needs to evolve and just because its roots are on ovals doesn't mean it can't change. IMS has plenty of other circle track users. No reason to remove the oval, but running Indy car at 220+ is becoming too risky it appears.
    What? There are literally thousands of sportsman and modifieds run every Friday and Saturday night in North America. They are probably the most highly produced race cars in the world. There are hundreds sold every year in the Northeast alone.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 254

Those are a tad different. Not formula cars. Not pushing the limits of hardware and designed with minimal safety factors. In fact way over built to take a beating and with speeds much lower than anything seen on these super speedways.

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84
    aaron

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 146

Imagine...it takes a Frenchy to straighten us out.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Liked: 319

Default Oui!

read that Friday. He's right on the money.
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

Liked: 896

I agree, however I think that their (Indycar) biggest fear is that a car will get into the crowd and that simply cannot be allowed to happen. While drivers accept the risk the fans do not and should not.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    I agree, however I think that their (Indycar) biggest fear is that a car will get into the crowd and that simply cannot be allowed to happen. While drivers accept the risk the fans do not and should not.
    Truth.

My parents attended the final IRL race at Charlotte Motor Speedway, where a tire/upright assembly jumped the fence and killed three spectators. The only good thing to come from that event was the introduction of corner tethering.

This was a few weeks after they had been to an SCCA race at the same track to watch me race......fun.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information