Liked: 177

Default Using CDS CoPilot 2+ and video overlay questions

Okay, so I would like to use my GoPro 3 with my CDS Informer. Usually you have a system that uses a camera with a separate DVR but since I already have the Black Edition GoPro3... I remember reading somewhere on here that CDS was working on video synchronization with their software but not sure if this was ever done or not? Anybody use this method and how did it perform compared to using a standalone video system connected to the informer?
    I race communist race cars.

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling, there are rules." - Walter Sobchak

Contributing Member
    Liked: 95

Why don't you post this inquiry on the CDS forum, or call the company directly?

Quote Originally Posted by 10rmotor View Post
    Why don't you post this inquiry on the CDS forum, or call the company directly?
    I checked their forum. No info from my search. Plus, my search on apex turned up nothing. Worst case scenerio this thread will pop up for the next person with the same question. I'll touch base with them tomorrowand let you know what i find. I just though t somebody would have first hand knowledge or perhaps awork around that CDS never intended but functions.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Perhaps the Dash Ware software will work ?
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Quote Originally Posted by racerdad2 View Post
    Perhaps the Dash Ware software will work ?
    That is a very cool system for sure. I emailed them and to see but I have my fingers crossed that it will work.

I did have a chat with Sara at CDS and the GoPro is a NoGo... Video capture system must have a Vid Out and a Vid In. GoPro cams don't have a Vid In. Lets see if the Dashware software will work. I will let you know when I hear back from them.

Also, I'm selling a few things from the CDS system that I don't need such as a displacement sensor SEN-11 for throttle,brake, etc position as well as a harness for SRF and perhaps the Informer setup, FYI. Will be in classifieds shortly.

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsmithwc04 View Post
    I checked their forum. No info from my search. Plus, my search on apex turned up nothing. Worst case scenerio this thread will pop up for the next person with the same question. I'll touch base with them tomorrowand let you know what i find. I just though t somebody would have first hand knowledge or perhaps awork around that CDS never intended but functions.
    No surprise that checking their forum would not answer your question - I meant post it up on their forum. They're pretty quick in replying.

Is there a reason you don't want a chasecam? It provides video in and out.

Chasecam is another $1000 plus. To many other things need to happen before I can throw some cash at in car video with me being new to FE. Besides I already have a gopro3 black edition which takes fantastic video and there appears to be some software to sync it to the CDS data. Verdict is still out on that since they never responded to my email....

Liked: 530

a less than ideal answer is provided here:

http://www.competitiondata.com/cgi-b...num=1367190126

apparently it may be limited to one lap at a time for the export.. what a pain!

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    a less than ideal answer is provided here:

http://www.competitiondata.com/cgi-b...num=1367190126

apparently it may be limited to one lap at a time for the export.. what a pain!
    Well, atleast it works and although exporting the file will be tedious I feel good knowing I can use these programs to put good looking overlays on my track videos. Thanks and good catch!

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsmithwc04 View Post
    Chasecam is another $1000 plus. To many other things need to happen before I can throw some cash at in car video with me being new to FE. Besides I already have a gopro3 black edition which takes fantastic video and there appears to be some software to sync it to the CDS data. Verdict is still out on that since they never responded to my email....
    Well sure, if you buy it new, but who does that??? Chase cams are going for 2-300 all over ebay, and it looks like a deal can be had just a few posts above this.

To each his own, if the hero works for you then its all good.

Just to update this thread, I did indeed get data overlay using Race Render 3. I resaved the data file from the CDS as .csv and made sure each column in the .csv had the correct header name (RPM, SPEED, OIL PRESSURE, etc....) Make sure the first column is your lap time and it is labeled something like "TIME". It shouldn't matter the order of the following column data types as long as your lap time is first.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information