Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 99

Default CRB Letter

I really hope as many people who posted on here regarding the confusion or disagreement with the new rule, also wrote a letter to the CRB so that their key strokes were well spent. If not, please do so.

http://crbscca.com/
    -Nick

Liked: 852

I agree completely.. in OW rain spray I am happy to know that ANYTHING is in front of me on track. I don't care whether it's a car or EV. I'll figure that out when I get a little closer
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

3. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 996

There are a number of letters on the topic and it is being addressed.

Thanks!

John

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 99

Quote Originally Posted by John LaRue View Post

Thanks!

John
    Woot woot!
    -Nick

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Thanks!

John
    Thank you John. Any comments as the reason the rule change was put in place last year?
    Last edited by Steve Bamford; 03.27.15 at 7:42 AM.
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 605

When my rain light went on the blink [pun intended] I borrowed an idea from Joe Riley.....the red light from a bicycle light......you can mount it most anywhere using the attached mount, battery powered [single AA or AAA]........a sting of four lights that can be set to be 1] on constantly 2] flashing on and off ......so you're ready for whatever rule is in place by simple pushing the on button once or twice to set for "on" or "flash" ......3] or the light runs up and down the string of the four lights. Turn the thing on when you climb into car and go to grid in a rain race and the thing's on the whole time. Less than $10....keeping it simple.

Liked: 16

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    When my rain light went on the blink [pun intended] I borrowed an idea from Joe Riley.....the red light from a bicycle light......you can mount it most anywhere using the attached mount, battery powered [single AA or AAA]........a sting of four lights that can be set to be 1] on constantly 2] flashing on and off ......so you're ready for whatever rule is in place by simple pushing the on button once or twice to set for "on" or "flash" ......3] or the light runs up and down the string of the four lights. Turn the thing on when you climb into car and go to grid in a rain race and the thing's on the whole time. Less than $10....keeping it simple.
    What do you do when it starts raining 2 laps into the race?
    Stephen Saslow

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by smsazzy View Post
    Pray no one hits you!

I was wondering the same thing. Sometimes the inexpensive option turns into an expensive one.
    Mark Filip

Liked: 49

He'll turn it on between swapping tires in the pits!

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by smsazzy View Post
    Just turn it on if the sky isn't clear....

Default DONE

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...rm%2015-05.pdf

RACING MEMO
    DATE: March 27, 2015 NUMBER: RM 15-05
    TO: F/SR Participants
    SUBJECT: Rain Lights

Effective immediately: In section 9.3.32, change the language as follows:
    “All non-Formula cars shall have two operating red brake lights. All Formula (open wheel) and Sports Racing cars shall be equipped with a red taillight of at least the equivalent illumination power of a 15 watt bulb. This light shall be mounted as high as possible on the centerline of the car and be clearly visible from the rear. The taillight shall be illuminated when ordered by the Series Chief Steward or Chief Steward. Light assemblies shall be considered one light for the purposes of this rule, irrespective of the number of individual lamps the assembly may contain. Light assemblies may perform both rain and brake light functions provided they have two distinct illumination levels. An optional tail light (“rain light”), as described above, may be added to cars in all other classes. Lights that function as a Strobe light are not permitted except that in Formula and Sports Racer classes, the tail light may strobe when directed to be used as a rain light.”

14. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...rm%2015-05.pdf

RACING MEMO
    DATE: March 27, 2015 NUMBER: RM 15-05
    TO: F/SR Participants
    SUBJECT: Rain Lights

Effective immediately: In section 9.3.32, change the language as follows:
    “All non-Formula cars shall have two operating red brake lights. All Formula (open wheel) and Sports Racing cars shall be equipped with a red taillight of at least the equivalent illumination power of a 15 watt bulb. This light shall be mounted as high as possible on the centerline of the car and be clearly visible from the rear. The taillight shall be illuminated when ordered by the Series Chief Steward or Chief Steward. Light assemblies shall be considered one light for the purposes of this rule, irrespective of the number of individual lamps the assembly may contain. Light assemblies may perform both rain and brake light functions provided they have two distinct illumination levels. An optional tail light (“rain light”), as described above, may be added to cars in all other classes. Lights that function as a Strobe light are not permitted except that in Formula and Sports Racer classes, the tail light may strobe when directed to be used as a rain light.”
    Thank you to everyone who wrote the CRB on this and thank you to the individuals at the SCCA who listened and made a quick change to the rules that may have not been updated as they originally intended.
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 64

Thanks John,That is good news.Thanks to everyone who partisapated in the process.
    Tim MinorFc88
    Tim Minor

Liked: 123

Now I am terminally confused. "All Formula (open wheel) and Sports Racing cars shall be equipped with a red taillight of at least the equivalent illumination power of a 15 watt bulb. This light shall be mounted as high as possible on the centerline of the car and be clearly visible from the rear." I read this as requiring the light to be at the top of the roll bar and no other location is legal. Is the old mounting location of on the gearbox not allowed now?

Brian

Liked: 159

Default brake lights on SR cars?

I could read the new rule either to require or not require brake lights on SR cars. They are included with Formula cars when requireing the rain light.....but the first sentance says all non formula car will have two brake lights. Surely they don't need both.

Jerry

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

SR's have required brake lights almost since the beginning of time. In addition to the rain light.

The mounting rule for formula car rain lights is highly subject to interpretation and has been worded like that since at least 1978. So I would think existing "normal" mountings should still be OK

I would concur with Steve on this. The only new language in the rule is highlighted in red on the web site. Nothing new on position or number of lights.

Keys words being "as possible". It COULD be that the "highest possible" location on *YOUR* car would be at the bottom frame level. I like mine as high as I can get it .. but as said "high" is open to interpretation.
    Steve, FV80

They must have congress writing these things. Its like tax code....

As I read this change, formula cars now need 2 lights.
    1 steady illuminated at all times - not a brake light
    1 strobing rain light switchable when instructed.

I don't see the roll bar as the mounting point. I'm not sure other formula cars can see that clearly at all times. I'm thinking both on the gearbox....

What did I misread?

23. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 5

Default SR Brake Lights

Trying to stop the confusion and shed some light on this topic...

From the 2015 March GCR

9.1.8.A SPORTS RACING CATEGORY
    These specifications are part of the SCCA GCR and all automobiles shall conform with GCR Section 9.

9.1.8.B. ASR CLASSIFICATION - (REGIONAL ONLY CLASS)
    e. Electrical System
    Electrical system is unrestricted within the following limitations:
    1. Self Starter: Cars shall be equipped with on-board self-starter and on-board power supply controlled by the driver while in a normal driving position.
    2. Lights – Brake and Tail per GCR Section 9.3 Lights.

9.1.8.C. PROTOTYPE 1 (P1) CLASSIFICATION
    A. SAFETY EQUIPMENT:
    Shall comply with GCR Section 9, Cars and Equipment, in addition:
    1. Exposed glass headlight lenses and bulbs on the front of the car are prohibited.
    2. Brake lights are not required

9.1.8.D. PROTOTYPE 2 (P2) CLASSIFICATION
    B. SAFETY EQUIPMENT
    Shall comply with GCR Section 9 in addition:
    1. Exposed glass headlight lenses and bulbs on the front of the car are prohibited.
    2. Brake lights are not required.

So ASR needs brake lights and P1 & P2 do not...

Last edited by H_Mode; 03.27.15 at 7:34 PM.

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by cory mcleod View Post
    i told him that i thought the new rule was 5 years for sfi and fia belts. He told me i was wrong, that the sfi belts are good for 3 years.
    Is it possible that i know more than a tech inspector.............?
    yes you do!
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 605

agree about the problem of turning it on 2 laps in........so the thought is > if weather is questionable, just turn the thing on and go to grid. This bike light thing is an emergency thing only, a quick and dirty fix for use when your regular rain light is not functioning.

....and John, thanks for getting the SCCA to act so fast

Contributing Member
    Liked: 303

Default Why

After reading the rule I think I understand why it was made (just was worded poorly the first time). Some kids running tin tops thought their cars would look "cool" with strobe lights on them. Can you imagine what it would be like driving in a night enduro with a bunch or Hondas and Miata all with different color strobe lights running.

I am sure the flashing rain light was not even thought about when making the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by EACIII View Post
    After reading the rule I think I understand why it was made (just was worded poorly the first time). Some kids running tin tops thought their cars would look "cool" with strobe lights on them. Can you imagine what it would be like driving in a night enduro with a bunch or Hondas and Miata all with different color strobe lights running.

I am sure the flashing rain light was not even thought about when making the rule.
    You might be right. My son's Lemons team was considering hanging a flat screen TV on the back of their car playing p0rn in a constant loop as a distraction tactic but it was frowned upon before it got out of planning...

They could have simply said no unrequired lighting.... After all, isn't the GCR rule "only of it specifically says add or remove".....

If this was the case, the stewards could have simply said "remove or don't run"....

The way I'm reading this we still need a steady light on formula cars now.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post

The way I'm reading this we still need a steady light on formula cars now.
    From post #52 above ...
    Lights that function as a Strobe light are not permitted except that in Formula and Sports Racer classes, the tail light may strobe when directed to be used as a rain light.”

Seems to say that flashing lights in f cars are now OK again.
    Steve, FV80

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    From post #52 above ...
    Lights that function as a Strobe light are not permitted except that in Formula and Sports Racer classes, the tail light may strobe when directed to be used as a rain light.”

Seems to say that flashing lights in f cars are now OK again.

Yes but the wording seems to indicate we need a "tail light" as well....
    Quote Originally Posted by Post51
    All Formula (open wheel) and Sports Racing cars shall be equipped with a red taillight of at least the equivalent illumination power of a 15 watt bulb. This light shall be mounted as high as possible on the centerline of the car and be clearly visible from the rear. The taillight shall be illuminated when ordered by the Series Chief Steward or Chief Steward.
    This is BEFORE the part that discusses the rain light. Read that and you conclude you need a steady tail light.

Quote Originally Posted by Post51
    An optional tail light (“rain light”), as described above, may be added to cars in all other classes. Lights that function as a Strobe light are not permitted except that in Formula and Sports Racer classes, the tail light may strobe when directed to be used as a rain light.”
    Wait.. It's optional?

I think the problem is they discuss "tail light" and then imply that the tail light is a rain light. Tail light, brake light, rain light...

If I think I understand the intent of all this they could have simplified it as follows....

Create a section to define Rain Lights....

Rain lights are to be illuminated when instructed.
    Formula, P1 & P2 cars are required to have a strobing light.
    Non-Formula cars may optionally use a steady 15w light.

Doesn't that sum it up?

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    Yes but the wording seems to indicate we need a "tail light" as well....

This is BEFORE the part that discusses the rain light. Read that and you conclude you need a steady tail light.

Wait.. It's optional?

I think the problem is they discuss "tail light" and then imply that the tail light is a rain light. Tail light, brake light, rain light...

If I think I understand the intent of all this they could have simplified it as follows....

Create a section to define Rain Lights....

Rain lights are to be illuminated when instructed.
    Formula, P1 & P2 cars are required to have a strobing light.
    Non-Formula cars may optionally use a steady 15w light.

Doesn't that sum it up?

I think you are overcomplicating it.

The rules can be pretty accurately summed up as:

-You are required to have a tail light
    -you aren't required to turn it on unless the chief steward tells you to (rain race)
    -for formula and sports racers their tail light may strobe, but is not required to strobe

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    I think you are overcomplicating it.

The rules can be pretty accurately summed up as:

-You are required to have a tail light
    -you aren't required to turn it on unless the chief steward tells you to (rain race)
    -for formula and sports racers their tail light may strobe, but is not required to strobe
    Me? We just posted 2 versions that are readable and understandable and do not require outside knowledge/understanding.

As I've said before they must have congress writing these things....

Liked: 19

Thanks John & SCCA for making the right call ..........
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Liked: 304

...they must have congress writing these things....
    Nah, it would be a thousand pages if that were the case

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4362

This was all sorted out in post #51.
    SCCA moved unrecognizably quickly in correcting a strange unnecessary rule change.
    Kudos to them

But why is this thread still going 20 posts later?
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

36. The following 2 users liked this post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information