Contributing Member
    Liked: 26

Default Full Motion Formula Simulator

Hi all,

We just finished painting our newest Full Motion Simulator. This one is equipped with a formula 1 force feed back steering wheel hub, HE Ultimate Pro pedal set, Carbon seat, partial body work, belts, MOMO 270 C wheel with shift and clutch paddles, 4 x 4250i DBOX actuators also includes an inline sequential shifter. Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Blair Robertshaw; 03.06.15 at 11:10 AM.

Liked: 254

Can we see it in action?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Blair Robertshaw View Post
    Hi all,

We just finished painting our newest Full Motion Simulator. This one is equipped with a formula 1 force feed back steering wheel hub, HE Ultimate Pro pedal set, Carbon seat, partial body work, belts, MOMO 270 C wheel with shift and clutch paddles, also includes an inline sequential shifter. Enjoy!

Mercedes F1 Fan I see!!

Desmond

Contributing Member

sure, most likely later today I will get the Replay running. Just waiting for my guys to come help get it off the stand and hooked up. Heres a link to our other Orange Formula full motion chassis in a race at Suzuka with Zac Burke at the wheel;

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

Contributing Member

No Des, my oldest son is the MB F1 fan. And there are still side pods and a floor to go on the sim, they are just in the booth today.

Did you guys want video of the motion of the sim? if so it will be later tonight. Sim really only moves as much as a real formula car. We dont set them up to be arcadish, we set the motion up to replicate what our real world formula cars behave like on the track.

The feel from the F1 servo motor force feed back is unreal. feels exactly like real world. And the HE load cell brakes give even a better feel than the hydraulics we have been building in the past.

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

Next up a rolling road sim. with holographic displays?
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Contributing Member

you guys can go to

www.robertshawracing.com

up at the top right there are drop down menus for The Race Room, click there, then click on simulators and go through the formula, GT and stock car info.

The is also a FB icon on page bottom, there you go straight to the race room FB page and have a look. Tons of info there

Liked: 531

I see sony is going to release VR goggles next year. being able to look around corners and beside the car in a much more realistic VR just might get me back into sims..

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

How much does a simulator like this go for?

Ray

Contributing Member

It depends on the spec Ray. This one in the picture is $48K USD plus shipping. Most don't exceed $60K. At the higher end a guy would have a GT steering wheel specific to the car type with the display, a formula wheel, external sound as well as headset. A bead seat and just like in real race cars, the list can go on but none so far have gone over 60K.

Also includes 4 monitors, 3 for the immersion and a forth for real time data reporting, driver cooling system, belts. The CPU's are water cooled and use the best components available at the time of the CPU build. And they also include 12 hours of software support and training.

All our sims run MOTEC data as well as ATLAS data (McLaren f1 data). If you go with hydraulic brakes we use MOTEC brake pressure sensors. No junk, no gaming components so to speak.
    Last edited by Blair Robertshaw; 03.06.15 at 2:13 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Who makes the wheel (not the actual wheel that you hold but the part that is giving the force feedback)?

Ray

Contributing Member

KOLLMORGEN out of Germany

Liked: 447

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    I see sony is going to release VR goggles next year. being able to look around corners and beside the car in a much more realistic VR just might get me back into sims..

It's been out for a while from Oculus.. Get simming! :-)

https://www.oculus.com/rift/
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 531

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    It's been out for a while from Oculus.. Get simming! :-)

https://www.oculus.com/rift/
    still only as a development kit.. has anybody tried it with racing sims? does the head tracking part work?

Contributing Member

We have yet to try Oculus mainly because you cant see your steering wheel. Our steering wheels use active buttons and rotary dials that require the driver to see what he/she is pressing. Oculus I think is good alternative where 3 screens are not within the budget and seeing the steering wheel is less important. Also, I have read that Oculus has a tendency to present the condition of motion sickness more frequent but like I said, we have yet to try it.

I would research and definitely try one before laying out the cash for one and as Mikey states, it is still in development. How much further it gets developed is yet to be seen. I would also keep in view the additional weight that wearing one brings and what dos it feel like after sustained use of say 3 or 4 hours on the sim.

Liked: 72

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    still only as a development kit.. has anybody tried it with racing sims? does the head tracking part work?
    yes. I went by Simcraft and ran in 1 of their simulators with it. Since it makes everything 3d plus the movement of the simulator I really truly felt like i was in the banking at Daytona. It was pretty cool. Then the screen got hot and the tape we used for the motion tracker fell off and I was lost haha

Thread Information