Thread: Spares?

Liked: 502

Default Spares?

I am posting this in the newbie section, because I am a newbie at traveling semi long distances to race. I have been at this since 1996, but for the last 15 years, I have only been racing locally. One of the reasons that I bought the Crosse 35 is for versatility in being able to race at new tracks (to me). I have been thinking and wondering what some of you carry in the way of spares when going long distances to race. What is imperative, and what is suggested? I have enough trackside supplies to get through a local weekend, even with a few issues. Please list in order of importance. I have tools, jacks, a spare set of wheels, spare starter, fuel pump, coil, ignition wires, master switch, and other various essentials. I cannot afford to bring a spare engine and transmission, but have plenty of gears, fluids, hoses, etc. Do you normally take 4 full corners with uprights? Would a complete spare carb be advisable? What would be your list of hardware and fasteners? I know to have a spare nose for the car....what else have you needed and couldn't source at the track?

Thanks in advance.......

Liked: 1169

Radiator?

I would think if you need a new Crossle' upright you'll be having more serious issues as well, but we've certainly seen broken CV-joints.

Looking forward to seeing what experienced travelers say..
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 123

I usually have complete axles, a complete carb, brake pads, if I have uprights I have them, hubs, and my track boxes for bolts, nuts, dzus fasteners, in addition to what you listed. I also bring springs up and down from what's in the car. Starter solenoid is always good, master cylinders is starting to get a touch too far. Master battery switch, battery.

Most of it lives in my trailer, sometimes I am amazed at what I find in there. I don't carry corners, if someone takes a corner off the car they are in the quiet place for the rest of the weekend... Plus I usually don't actually have spare corners.

Brian

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    Radiator?

I would think if you need a new Crossle' upright you'll be having more serious issues as well, but we've certainly seen broken CV-joints.

Looking forward to seeing what experienced travelers say..
    yeah, radiator. Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I usually have complete axles, a complete carb, brake pads, if I have uprights I have them, hubs, and my track boxes for bolts, nuts, dzus fasteners, in addition to what you listed. I also bring springs up and down from what's in the car. Starter solenoid is always good, master cylinders is starting to get a touch too far. Master battery switch, battery.

Most of it lives in my trailer, sometimes I am amazed at what I find in there. I don't carry corners, if someone takes a corner off the car they are in the quiet place for the rest of the weekend... Plus I usually don't actually have spare corners.

Brian
    I think a carb would be a good idea too. Complete, ready to bolt on, find the problem with the other one after the weekend. Definitely an important component. Springs too, an inexpensive item, that might lower lap times.
    Thanks.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 110

Distributor? Clutch parts? Clutch slave? Brake lines? Caliper rebuild kits or a spare caliper?

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 444

After years of driving a Crossle... the only part that ever broke was a companion flange for the rear. Call Porter and get a spare.

And maybe a nose or two.

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by 10rmotor View Post
    Distributor? Clutch parts? Clutch slave? Brake lines? Caliper rebuild kits or a spare caliper?
    Thanks, one LD 19 and at least one rebuild kit on the list now.

This is getting expensive. However, over the years, it's always what I did not bring that ends my weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by BURKY View Post
    After years of driving a Crossle... the only part that ever broke was a companion flange for the rear. Call Porter and get a spare.

And maybe a nose or two.
    What's a companion flange?

Quote Originally Posted by marshall9 View Post
    What's a companion flange?
    The part that connects to the outside rear CV joint to drive the hub.

Liked: 165

Default Once you go a long way, it sucks to pack up early

At the Montreal F1 weekend some years back we took the engine out and replaced the cam and lifters and made it to the race on Sunday. Britain West had those in stock in their trailer. Case in point, take as much as you can afford and can store that will not be available at the track, you never know what might happen.

My story. Royale RP31. I bought a parts slider for $3300 including all the shipping to me. Sold off a $1000 or so, mostly wheels. I found a way to pack the rest of that spares car, minus frame, fuel cell and bodywork into my 16 foot enclosed trailer. That way I could always replace a corner, a shock, a steering rack, brake caliper, brake rotor, hub, upright, radiator, steering wheel...

Might be a bit extreme, but the guys that crew for me never reminisce about the weekends when the car ran flawlessly and we drank beer and had dinner on time.

Since I put the Wyvern together I have taken it further, carrying a spare engine and hopefully an LD 200 if I can source a decently priced spare.

Now that the Royale is back to a 'regional' car, I have begun the job of resurrecting the spares car to being fully functional. ETA some time this summer
    Last edited by Roux; 01.28.15 at 9:29 PM.

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 29

Duck tape........gaffers tape........fiberglass cloth and resin.....throw away pans.
    Throttle cable core........tie wraps and hose clamps.

Don't get the word out that you carry a lot of spares......."kin I borro this or that ??"

19. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BURKY View Post
    The part that connects to the outside rear CV joint to drive the hub.
    Burky, could you provide me a part diagram or a picture of one. If it is a common consumable, I would like to have a spare one.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry B. View Post
    Duck tape........gaffers tape........fiberglass cloth and resin.....throw away pans.
    Throttle cable core........tie wraps and hose clamps.

Don't get the word out that you carry a lot of spares......."kin I borro this or that ??"
    I don't mind loaning anything that I have if it keeps someone's weekend alive. The wife has gotten really good at getting the part back, or collecting the money

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Burky, could you provide me a part diagram or a picture of one. If it is a common consumable, I would like to have a spare one.
    http://www.porterracing.com/crossle_30.htm

That's the part I've seen broken more than once on the CV; usually the whole joint was eventually replaced. Not a consumable, but vulnerable. Not just on Crossle's.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold

In the diagram(s) of the 200 plus parts, which part number(s) are you referring to?

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1592

First of all, what club will you be racing with, and what does the run group look like? That has a lot to do with the probability of crash damage.

What constitutes a "long distance"?

I've seen little in the way of carnage in the 14 years I've raced with VARA. In that time, across all formula and sports racer classes, I think I've seen two cars written off, and maybe another 3-4 with minor suspension damage.

I've seen far more electrical and gearbox failures, and a couple of catastrophic engine failures.

26. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    First of all, what club will you be racing with, and what does the run group look like? That has a lot to do with the probability of crash damage.

What constitutes a "long distance"?

I've seen little in the way of carnage in the 14 years I've raced with VARA. In that time, across all formula and sports racer classes, I think I've seen two cars written off, and maybe another 3-4 with minor suspension damage.

I've seen far more electrical and gearbox failures, and a couple of catastrophic engine failures.
    Great point Rich,
    SVRA at COTA in November is the goal. It's a 1000 mile tow each way. I am more concerned with mechanical/electrical items, than crash damages. Nose/radiator damage spares would most likely be due to curb damage than car to car contact Thanks for your input.

In the diagram(s) of the 200 plus parts, which part number(s) are you referring to?
    I believe what I've seen broken are labelled C1 and C2B, more commonly the inboard set. However, the "Companion Flange" is A60 outboard.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold

29. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks Tim.
    I'll order them and of course if you need to borrow either, you are welcome to .

I have some spare links and a front A-arm. Also the original Model 30 arms that could do in a pinch until Porter gets something shipped. Phil went ahead and ordered a whole spare front, including radiator and support.

Let's just hope none of the stuff is needed..
    Caldwell D9B - Sold

Having a set of motor mounts is also a good idea.

Liked: 637

spare rotor, a borrowed one saved a weekend at Sebring years ago in my 32F

cash

Liked: 523

The nice thing about racing a Crossle 32 etc is that there almost always will be someone that is racing one also. They usually have the one spare something that you don't have.;
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

35. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 68

Carry an assortment of rod ends and body fasteners, as well.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Thread Information