Liked: 3

Default Lotus 61 Formula Ford for sale

1969 Lotus 61 Formula Ford - SOLD

See it in action at the SOVREN Columbia River Classic on August 30-31, 2014.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVQzlQzGVZs

Actively raced on the west coast for the last 12 years since its restoration. Extensive records are available from the restoration including hundreds of photos and notes.

Provenance is well documented including a number of early log books, receipts, photos and the original Hewland case with documented serial number. I also have a detailed letter from the 3rd owner documenting the history of the car. I am the 6th owner.

The car appeared on the cover of Victory Lane magazine (May 2010) and Vintage Racecar magazines. The car has been raced in the following organizations in the last decade: HMSA, HSR-W, CVAR and CSRG, SOVREN, Oregon Region SCCA. The last race run was at the SOVREN Columbia River Classic on Aug 31-Sept 1 where the car placed as high as 6th in class (out of 16) with a novice driver. I plan to run the car this coming season in the Pacific Northwest in case anyone wants to come join me.

I have to say that the car is a blast to drive and is well behaved. It is a good car for someone starting out in vintage Formula Ford or looking to drive a historically significant race car. I have a ton of spares which can be a part of the sale as well.

Specifics
    - Ivey prepared head and carb
    - Uprated main caps
    - Steel crank
    - Forged connecting rods
    - Blueprinted FF cam
    - 8 races since overhaul
    - ATL fuel cell
    - Safecraft 5 lb Halon system, cockpit & engine nozzles
    - Hewland Mk6 Transaxle
    - Volvo rubber doughnuts, 3 races
    - New Setrab oil cooler
    - Removable MOMO steering wheel
    - Alignment bars
    - 3 blocks, cranks, piston sets, etc
    - Spare new Petronix Flame Thrower distributor
    - Spare wheel set
    - Original Lotus seat
    - Original Lotus fuel tank (not installed)
    - … and much more.

Price: $16,000
    If have any questions, I can be contacted at jcgreeven at gmail.com.
    Last edited by johncg; 02.04.15 at 4:53 PM. Reason: new price

Contributing Member
    Liked: 114

Default Lotus 61 for sale

Hey John,
    What's up? We enjoyed you and your car at the Sovren events.
    Tom

Default Lotus 61 for sale

Hey Tom,
    Yea, it has been great racing the formula ford with the SOVREN guys. I plan to continue this for the coming season.

As you may recall, my main plan with this car was to find away to get my father into it for a drive at Portland International Raceway. He raced many cars beginning in the late 1950's through the early 1970's including a Lotus 61. As he remembers it, the Lotus 61 was his favorite of all the cars he raced. In any case, he got his wish and he drove it in late August at PIR during the test day prior to the SOVREN Columbia River Classic event. Amazingly, we also had the track to ourselves for 30 minutes at the end of the day with me playing chase in my Caterham Seven. We captured some great videos and made some great memories. A million thanks to the NW Lotus Club for making this possible!

Once the Lotus 61 sells, I plan to replace it with another formula ford, one with a bit longer cockpit... I would love to get your beautiful Titan if the timing works out.

Regards,

John

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

So where are the videos. We like videos
    Cheers, Graham

Default Video: SOVREN Columbia River Classic

I took some video at the recent SOVREN race in Portland International Raceway, the Columbia River Classic. The car and I are getting more used to each other and the results are beginning to show. Here's the link to one of these races. I started last in a field of 24 Vintage Formula Fords and finished 9th.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVQzlQzGVZs

Liked: 323

that was a great drive. I watched you guys from the turn 1 grandstands on Saturday.

I love the 'in helmet' camera view, that is the closest to what driving one of these cars feels like in any video I've watched. thanks for sharing.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Default looking for my next Formula Ford

I'm glad you enjoyed the video. I'm still working on getting better audio... the GoPro cameras need external microphones.

Starting from the back was so much fun that I requested this on another race that weekend. It's also good practice for a rookie and maybe should be required.

I have some good prospects interested in buying my Lotus 61 now and so want to seriously start looking for a replacement. I need a longer cockpit so my 6ft height fits comfortably. This requirement has taken me to wanting something like a 1981 or earlier Crossle as an example. I understand Titans and some others may also accommodate this. Please let me know if you have any leads.

Default Lotus 61 has sold

Lotus 61 has sold

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Is the car going to remain in the Pacific Northwest?

Default Lotus 61 sold

I don't believe the car will remain in the NW. The new owner lives in Michigan and spends summers in Oregon. Not clear yet so I'll find out more and let you know.

Contributing Member

Too bad. The car has good power and handled quite well. Doesn't look like you had to work very hard or stick your neck out to do so well. I've known Carl, the builder for quite some time. I was glad to see the car come north when he had it for sale. You need to get a Crossle. :

Default Lotus 61 sold

Thanks for your kind words. Funny you should mention a Crossle... I now have a Crossle 32F. I plan to campaign it with SOVREN in 2015.

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

You should consider ICSCC, also: 4 race weekends, 5 races in your area. Portland and ORP much closer than PR and entry fees much lower. American Racer tyres 1/2 the price of Avons and last almost as long. Also good people. No vigilantes.

Default Lotus 61 sold

Is ICSCC where you race? Who could I talk to about how to get started with ICSCC? I'd like to talk through the details of what you mention... entry fees, 2015 schedule, licensing requirements (I had an SCCA regional license 2 years ago and went with an SCCA vintage license last year to save a few bucks), etc.

Contributing Member

Default Getting started

Join local member club: Cascade Sports Car Club [CSCC] ph: 360-518-3986. CSCC is a local member club of I.C.S.C.C. [the Conference] web site: ICSCC.com. Cascade pres. will help you out. IMO, You have raced enough to command a senior license after one observed race with Conference. Conference has just come out with 2015 (15) race sched. at web site plus much information.

Liked: 323

Stuart's old car, GREAT car!

Quote Originally Posted by johncg View Post
    Thanks for your kind words. Funny you should mention a Crossle... I now have a Crossle 32F. I plan to campaign it with SOVREN in 2015.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Thread Information