Thread: Crossle 63

Liked: 0

Default Crossle 63

I have stumbled upon a Crossle 63? FC. Have only seen pictures. It's been sitting for a while and needs work. Anyone familiar with these? Will it make a good club car?

Liked: 19

Default 63F

I ran a 63F for a few years with Dave Keep. Fairly competitive car at the regional level, particularly on tight tracks. We updated the car a fair amount with new wings and diffuser which really helped.

This one? Crossle 63
    Last edited by Reddog; 11.11.11 at 8:45 PM. Reason: added "this one?"

Yes, that's our car at Waterford

Liked: 1

Default Crossle 63F

Have not seen that car in a while - Co-owned and driven with Steve the 63. We updated the rear suspension, added Koni doubles front and rear, updated the wings to Averill standard, added a diffuser, built and installed front droop limiters and much more. Sold the car to Melissa Dopirak and she passed it on to her father who also was a Waterford driver. I liked that car - The car also has a ton of history in Ireland.

Regards

David Keep

Porter Racing has it in Kalifornia ... at least his web site sez so ....
    Last edited by Reddog; 11.12.11 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by billbo48 View Post
    I have stumbled upon a Crossle 63? FC. Have only seen pictures. It's been sitting for a while and needs work. Anyone familiar with these? Will it make a good club car?
    [FONT=Verdana]Billbo ... you need to liberate this car from Kalifornia … ASAP ... ... [/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]

Default Crossle 63F

That was a great car - However, I would be very surprised is that car made it to California. That said, if it is available - well worth the time to put it on the track - The car when I sold it was very easy to drive, reliable with parts available from Neil Porter at Porter Pacific Crossle or the factory direct. wings and aero available from Keith Averill. I think he has templates for wings etc. I greatly regretted selling that car. Oh and it was owned and driven by Michael Rand of US F2000 fame...in the early 1990's

David Keep

Default I guess I misunderstood ...

Crossle 63F - owned by David Keep

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Crossle + Rentals + Parts + Services + Cars for Sale + Schedule + Catalog + Links + Photos[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
    4814 E. Childs Ave.
    Merced, CA 95341[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
    Email us at
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
    (209) 722-7373
    (209) 722-6426 FAX[/FONT][/FONT]

Gentlemen,
    This is the car I was referring to.

http://dennisw.smugmug.com/gallery/1...349538_w2m3QCr

Nevermind ... lol

Liked: 2

Default ZETEC

Looks like it has a zetec engine in it.

Liked: 3787

The car on Smugmug has a zetec installed.... but.... it is not an SCCA legal zetec. It would have to run as FS in regional events. Buyer beware.

Anyone who really needs info on a Crossle 63 should first contact Chuck Moran. He has consistantly had the fastest one in the nation over the last decade.

Default FC 63F

Mr Frog always good to hear from you.

Before I had the Reynard, I owned solo and with Steve Myers a 63F for about 6 years - but not the 63F in the smug mug photo's. That is definitely a 63F with early wings, no difuser and probably no droop limiter. At the right price, this car can be made very competitive in CFC at least as we define it in the Great Lakes region. There is another 63F in California and a 68f in Kentucky which is a close cousin. The 63F I had was sold to Melissa Fergus some years ago. The pictires on the Porter Pacific Crossle web site are of the car that Steve and I ownwd. That car was serial 6301 and the original factory prototype for the 63 series. To that we added a difuser, Koni Doubles, a droop limiter and Averill's wings which made for an excellent car in CFC

See you at the ARRC

David
    Last edited by FC63F; 11.24.11 at 12:54 PM. Reason: another

Default Crossle 63F - nice car!

I had one - I think chassis 03 if I remember right when it was new. I ran Pacific Raceservice and had the West Coast Crossle Import rights before I sold it to Neil Porter in about 93, I think. The 63F was a good car - I won some races with it. Was a very good handling car but pushed a little too much air compared to the Swifts. They were a good safe car and not a bad choice.

Liked: 39

Default Crossle 63F

When you said that the Crossle pussed a little to much air it made me wonder. can I infer from you statement that it was a pretty roomy cockpit as well. I am 6'220# and am looking for a formula car that I can be comfortable in. Thanks for any input you or others can provide regarding this car or in seating/cocpit dimemsions can provide.

Default FC63F Aero/Fit

Crossle 63F was limited in the original form without diffuser, biplane wing system, etc. WE did make a lot of changes for aero. As for fitting to the car - The - the car fit me, a small women driver and a tall guy. You would be best served by going for a pre purchase fitting. I did that on a 97 VD and was a little surprised several years ago - Lead to not purchasing the car.

However - a good car with room for improvement on reasonable $

David Keep
    mikeep63@yahoo.com

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Mike Rand here, just chiming in as David did in fact buy the car from me in, when exactly, maybe 1991/2 ?
    I had imported the car from a friend in Northern Ireland, name of Richard Young, then and now the main man, as in general manager I believe at the NI track Kirkistown, the same place the prototype Barber Saab was driven by myself in VERY preliminary sorting in winter 1986.
    Several good stories about that whole experience......
    I brought the car in during early spring of 1990 as a present to myself in celebration of being fired by the then jackass owners of IMSA who John Bishop sold it to in late 1989, wrong guys, bad guys arguably, and that history of IMSA ownership changes over the ensuing what, now 25 years would make for interestng reading, if it exists in its entirety. Many of the players are still with us and some journalist could fashion a real honest unvarnished history, John Zimmerman perhaps ?
    Back to the 63F, Richard may have been the original owner but mostly ran Irish Hillclimbs and the occasional clubbie at "his" home track.
    If memory serves I ran the car 1990 and 1991 in Florida SCCA and truly enjoyed owning and driving it, nice typical boy scout of a Crossle, thrifty brave honest etc etc etc.....
    Car was fantastic at what then served as the SCCA short version at Sebring, significantly less brilliant at Road Atlanta !
    One more in a lengthy list of good and not so good racers that passed through my hands.....

Liked: 3322

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    The car on Smugmug has a zetec installed.... but.... it is not an SCCA legal zetec. It would have to run as FS in regional events. Buyer beware.

Anyone who really needs info on a Crossle 63 should first contact Chuck Moran. He has consistantly had the fastest one in the nation over the last decade.
    I thought Chuck's was a Crossle 71F...
    Last edited by DaveW; 12.08.14 at 7:51 PM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Default Crossle 63 F

Rand has it mostly correct - I actually bought it from a guy in Cinci who also owned a 71F - which ended upside down in a bar. Steve Myers and and I ran Grattan, and Gingherman and Mid Ohio and Waterford, which was rather short and tight and a joy to drive. It still runs with yet another driver with success

David Keep

Default 63F-001

2014 GLC CFC champion in the hands of Curtis Easterling!

Thread Information