Liked: 24

Default 2014 Runoffs Tech Wrap-up

Now we are post 2014 SCCA Runoffs, did any updated/interesting technology show up to the Runoffs (aerodynamic, mechanical or instrument)?

Let's keep the discussion to strictly technical, not GCR LEGAL or PERSONAL attacks.

Any photos from the 2014 SCCA FV Runoffs?

Congratulations to all the Formula Vee participants!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

Low end exhaust systems. Well suited for Laguna and vintage FV.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    Low end exhaust systems. Well suited for Laguna and vintage FV.

Brian
    Is it common to change a FV exhaust system on a existing engine for different tracks layouts (high vs low speed)? or do you develop a different FV engine package?

Since the original post didn't get much response. Was there any difference between the East & West coast's car prep for Laguna?

Liked: 72

Many competitors have inserts that when added to the primaries lengthen the exhaust and slightly lower the power curve. You can have some made by a muffler shop for about $5 and at 3" long they will make a bit of difference. Typically, primaries run between 38 and 41 inches. The 38 is preferred for high speed and the longer primaries will help on the lower end. I run a 38 with 3" inserts when necessary. I have a source for inserts if anyone has trouble finding them.

Going from the high speed/rpm asphalt dyno of Road America to the hilly tight Laguna is quite extreme and most builders worked on matching their cars to the tracks.

I did see some new exhaust systems and would imagine that some cam timing changes were examined as well.

I think the biggest challenge for most drivers was the inherent low grip nature of Laguna. The asphalt is quite mature, stable and the aggregate is fairly polished. Balancing the car was the challenge. There was a fine line between oversteer and having a push. The FF guys had the same issue but the winged classes adapted more quickly. The best part of coming to Laguna was that driver's skill regained some priority in the package.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Liked: 5

I was told that the fine grit blowing around did not help traction - those who have driven at Roebling Road when the sand is blowing around know what I mean.

Jim

Did drivers use stickers or scrubs for the final race?

I'm guessing most used stickers for the final, because of the race length, but some opted for scrubs.

I've only driven Vintage Vees, so please excuse my rookie questions. I've got plenty..

Liked: 72

the wind was non-existent and our Hoosiers are much better after scrubbing. I did see some stickers on pregrid though.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Thread Information