Contributing Member northarrowracing's Avatar
    Liked: 36

Default Get off your butt and race

I don't know if this belongs under this heading but you guys can move it if need be. Long story short I raced 40 yrs ago in a Bugeye. Quit for lack of money. Always said if I won the lotto I would race a FF. Well guess what, very small windfall and I bought an old Z16 Citation in really pretty good condition from an honest seller right here on Apex. Good thing because I am a lousy mechanic. We have gone the SCCA route and it has worked out great. Against all advice, I went to my drivers school with only my wife as crew. We got help from everyone there and survived. It seems people are always willing to help a fellow racer. Did a regional at Atlanta and just finished one at VIR. Yes I ran with the wings and things and qualifing Sat. was in the rain. Yes I was terrifed, but I hung in there. Fellow drivers were great, giving me encouragement and said don't worry, just drive the line and we will look out for your slow butt. Here's the thing, I may be starting to get it. I can do this and I will get better. We really have no money, I'm 65, but we already have plans for next year. Here is the point. If you have an old car come on, get it out and race. Mine isn't considered vintage so we run FF not CF. No problem, we are racing. What are you waiting for? Did I mention I got a 1st in class at VIR. Ok my good friend wrecked his FF in the rain and he was my only real competition but it's a win and we'll take it.

Having a ball!!!
    Ric

Contributing Member
    Liked: 473

Quote Originally Posted by northarrowracing View Post
    I don't know if this belongs under this heading but you guys can move it if need be. Long story short I raced 40 yrs ago in a Bugeye. Quit for lack of money. Always said if I won the lotto I would race a FF. Well guess what, very small windfall and I bought an old Z16 Citation in really pretty good condition from an honest seller right here on Apex. Good thing because I am a lousy mechanic. We have gone the SCCA route and it has worked out great. Against all advice, I went to my drivers school with only my wife as crew. We got help from everyone there and survived. It seems people are always willing to help a fellow racer. Did a regional at Atlanta and just finished one at VIR. Yes I ran with the wings and things and qualifing Sat. was in the rain. Yes I was terrifed, but I hung in there. Fellow drivers were great, giving me encouragement and said don't worry, just drive the line and we will look out for your slow butt. Here's the thing, I may be starting to get it. I can do this and I will get better. We really have no money, I'm 65, but we already have plans for next year. Here is the point. If you have an old car come on, get it out and race. Mine isn't considered vintage so we run FF not CF. No problem, we are racing. What are you waiting for? Did I mention I got a 1st in class at VIR. Ok my good friend wrecked his FF in the rain and he was my only real competition but it's a win and we'll take it.

Having a ball!!!
    Ric
    Already on top of it, Ric!

Bought mine (an FF) in August 2012...

...finally got it on track in May 2013...

...and then discovered my engine needed a rebuild...

...so I got back on track in August...

...then ran twice more in September.

It's not free, it's not inexpensive, but it's isn't ruinous...

...and I love it.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Excellent read !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 1115

Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 679

Welcome to the addiction!
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

nice

Liked: 11

Default Way to go Ric!

Ric,

Was great meeting you (& wife) and running with you @ VIR last weekend. Thanks for coming around the paddock to chat beforehand.

You looked like you were having a blast on Sunday, judging by the smile on your face!
    Last edited by Revs2-12k; 07.02.15 at 7:20 AM.
    Working hard to enhance my Carbon Fiber footprint....
    2011 Stohr F1000
    www.Area81Racing.com

Liked: 610

Default Get off your butt and race

Glad to hear that you jumped back in it.
    Very nice to hear that those at VIR, passed a little love your way.
    Welcome Back !
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 30

Default Get out there...

Ric, great post. Makes this old fart (67) want to get back out there. Best of luck

Default Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Revs2-12k View Post
    Ric,

Was great meeting you (& wife) and running with you @ VIR last weekend. Thanks for coming around the paddock to chat beforehand.

You looked like you were having a blast on Sunday, judging by the smile on your face!
    Richard,

All you guys were so nice to us, we can't wait until March to do it again. You were right about the smile. Every photo we have of me has this hugh silly grin on my face.
    There is one photo up on the grid and I swear you can still tell I am smiling under the helmet. We will be back ! And by the way, extra thanks to all the workers who kept us out of trouble by letting us know when you guys were coming up fast. Good clean race for all.

Ric

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

Good read and good for you. Can't wait to get mine out when I am finished with it. I am 58. You say you have photos, let's see one or two.
    Cheers Graham.

Liked: 0

Default Old washed up dog

Got a book from my sister in May, book is Winning about a guy by the name of Paul Newman. What a great actor, great man also. Looked at his racing career in SCCA . WOW, maybe I'm not an old washed up dog yet. I'm 61, ex stock car, ex off road racer, even drag raced a little. Really liked what you had to say. Went over to Thunderhill raceway in California. Lotts of smiles on these guys, I need one TOO. Going to go to driving school in Feb. to get license. Dont need anymore doors, need SPEED. Need SMILE. FC, FF, CF, SRF, DSR, DSR, DSR, be cool. Thanks for encouragement. Chris

Heh I think Dave W. might have some thoughts on all you young 60 year olds that think you're too old to still go racing

Friend of mine (does he still count as that after getting me addicted to this whole racing crack) twisted my arm not all that hard 3 years back about doing a Lemons race. I still have the grin stuck on my face. Even if you only do one race get out there and give it a go. You'll either be hooked or know it's not your cup of tea.
    Mark Swick

Liked: 53

Default Get off your butt

55 on November 18th. Got a 91 Mysterian FV trying to get it ready for 2014 drivers school. I'm going to be a back marker and have a blast doing it!

G.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Liked: 3322

Quote Originally Posted by fezzic181 View Post
    Heh I think Dave W. might have some thoughts on all you young 60 year olds that think you're too old to still go racing

Friend of mine (does he still count as that after getting me addicted to this whole racing crack) twisted my arm not all that hard 3 years back about doing a Lemons race. I still have the grin stuck on my face. Even if you only do one race get out there and give it a go. You'll either be hooked or know it's not your cup of tea.
    Great post, northarrowracing!

My 71st birthday is tomorrow. And I'm looking forward to next season already. The car is in several pieces as I install a new fuel cell, do some geometry changes, etc. that will, I hope, get me consistently into the top 5 in the F2KCS!

Go for it! You're never too old!
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member Mark Walthew's Avatar
    Liked: 34

Welcome back to racing Ric. I was in the #22 red FE last weekend. I am glad you had a such a good time. Maybe we'll race against each other in FF sometime.

I'm not a formula driver but at age 65 I bought a HP Sprite and have been racing for seven years. Most fun I've ever had.

And I couldn't have done it without the help of other racers.

I was at VIR last weekend and qualified scared to death in the rain but Sunday morning was glorious and was the best racing I've ever done.

John Hewell
    #29 HP/GTL Spridget

Liked: 307

One is never too old to have a happy childhood! Even if it starts 50 or 60 years later than most!

Thanks Mark, you guys did well despite my rolling roadblock but I will get faster. Dave W you should know your friend Eddie P has been helping me with the car and words of wisdom. He had a mishap in the rain Sat. and just about broke his thumb when he hit the tire wall. Saturday did indeed scare just about everyone there I believe. Also Dave I have been told my Z-16 is the sister car to the one you won a national championship in back in 80 something. Now if I can figure out how to post a photo -----

Ric

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Go for it! You're never too old!
    On the contrary, someday you really will be. The longer you wait, the less time you have left. So as Stoker Ace said, "Stand On It Now."
    Caldwell D9B - Sold

Liked: 3322

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    On the contrary, someday you really will be. The longer you wait, the less time you have left. So as Stoker Ace said, "Stand On It Now."
    Well, that is very true. Time's a'wastin'!
    Dave Weitzenhof

Default Having a Ball

Quote Originally Posted by northarrowracing View Post

Having a ball!!!
    Ric
    Hey Ric,

I am getting ready to "restart" and thought about which formula to pursue, Atlantic, 2000, 1000 or FF and having driven all but the 1000 many many years back, I decided to go with the FF 1600 Kent also. It's cheap all round, they are pretty reliable and nothing but adrenalin pumps.

What surprised me though is that there is a real shortage of good used (and new for that matter) formula Fords around. I'm thinking that I will either have to be patient or buy from the UK, Canada or elsewhere.

Anyway, I'm glad I won't be the only AARP eligible driver out there! Hope to see you in a rear view mirror somewhere

Liked: 384

Ride on ,man.
    Treads like this should be popping up every week.
    That's true inspiration.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Default Went to a Skip Barber school

The best thing I could have ever done to help my racing! They took their time with each of us, Focused on what we wanted out of their school. Took us to the edge and back. Overall it was an awesome experience! Oh did I mention it was a monsoon for 2 of the 3 days....cant wait for rain!

G.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Liked: 278

I made the jump a few years ago from the slowest stuff to the fastest, directly - ITB to DSR! I too was scared as hell, very intimidated by all that was going on. Building my own car didn't make it easier, either...

But it's so been worth it, and right from the start was too exciting; even having so many bugs to work out of my own car, it's been rewarding enough to keep me going through those rough 3 years of build and debug.

Now I finally have a car that works properly, and I can work on improving both the car and my ability to drive it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Liked: 41

Love these OGRE inspirational stories. OGRE = Old Guys Racing Enterprises

Currently 66, got back into racing with Track Trials in a Miata. Saw a Legrand DSR in my first TT in 2004 and fell in love with the car and the concept. Ran a DSR Legrand for a few years and then an AMAC in DSR and P2. Always working to make the car and driver a bit quicker.

Have never lost the desire to chase down and get ahead of the SOB in front of me. The day it goes away is the day I sell the car.

Welcome to the addiction!
    Craig Farr
    2006 Stohr WF1 P2
    FARROUT Racing

Default Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by farrout View Post
    Have never lost the desire to chase down and get ahead of the SOB in front of me. The day it goes away is the day I sell the car.

Couldn't have said it better

G.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Quote Originally Posted by Sailbad View Post
    What surprised me though is that there is a real shortage of good used (and new for that matter) formula Fords around. I'm thinking that I will either have to be patient or buy from the UK, Canada or elsewhere.
    Be patient. Cars will come on the market during the off season. Well, the off season for everyone else - we don't really start until it cools down in October. You'd be about average age for our group, BTW.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold

Liked: 304

61 years young

Raced FV from '73 - 80

4 children University costs

Restarted this year, DS, 3 races and 4th this weekend.

Not very fast, yet...

Contributing Member
    Liked: 3

Default Get Out and Race

Thanks for the encouragement, finally got out to a regional over the weekend.

It wasn't pretty- but was fun!

Come on - stop thinking about it - there is place for you

Thread Information