Liked: 6

Default Hewland Swing Axle

I need some help and advice, especially from the FF people who have experience with the Hewland MK8 or 9. I would like to convert a Hewland Mk8 or 9 to a swing axle setup. However there are three stumbling blocks that I see.
    1. Will the ring gear from the hewland bolt up to the diff carrier of the VW?
    2. How does the input shaft of the hewland compare to the input shaft of the VW (splines, length and pilot bearing size)?
    3. The shifter. On most Hewlands they invert the box. Mine will have the ring gear flipped, which puts the shift mechanism on the left. Do they make and where could I buy the mechanism to put it on the right?
    I am willing to purchase a BROKEN ring gear and input shaft if someone wants to get rid of there paper weight.
    Thank you and feel free to offer and additional advice or comments. Richard
    CM
    Caldwell D-13

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1489

Call Williams or Taylor - they'll be able to answer your questions - and machine your VW case for the hew land internals.

As far as putting the shifter on the right with a non-flipped box, try the tail Webster tailpiece from a FM. AC SC tail pieces work too, but are very scarce.

Liked: 0

Here ya Go.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63418

VW ring and pinion can fit swing diff! and VW input shaft ! I can probably can adapt VW nose cone . Viola 5 speed swing dog box. I have the same idea just short of funds. also install a Quaiffe diff while your at it!
    Last edited by MrGas; 08.17.14 at 9:37 AM.
    VW Style transaxles rebuilt!
    www.mrgasrebuilds.com

Thank you and I will contact Taylor. MrGas, if I read correctly I can bolt the Hewland ring gear directly to my swing axle diff carrier and the input shafts are the same. So this would make the conversion very easy. Great news. And when I get the final stage, you can help me with the shifter.
    Thanks All, Richard

t

Liked: 0

No you didn't read correctly. this one Webster box FS will do all of that not a hewland. hewland uses a different ring and pinion that will not fit VW diff. this one particular box has all that you are asking for. the hewland input shaft wont work either on a VW.
    Last edited by MrGas; 08.17.14 at 9:26 AM. Reason: clarification
    VW Style transaxles rebuilt!
    www.mrgasrebuilds.com

Thank you. I did misread the post. Richard

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

Default Webster 5 spd.

That's our gearbox, and yes, you could use it directly on a VW engine and convert it to swing axle. The shifter would be correct as a bolt-in on a FV or similar vehicle with a minor modification to the shift shaft housing.
    For details send me an email or PM and we can set you up!
    Lawrence
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Thread Information