Liked: 0

Default Reverse/Neutral Lockout Issues

Ran car for first time the other day and had inconsistencies with the Reverse/Neutral lockout pin. It was almost impossible to pull the black t-bar out. I also found that i could sometimes get to neutral and reverse without pulling the black t-bar at all. Read a few other threads on this but wanted to post for some additional feedback. My guess here is that the lockout pin is stuck OPEN in the back of the transmission. We cannot push the arm mechanism forward at all which is why i'm guessing it's stuck open.
    Questions:
    1. Would you agree in this assessment?
    2. How do I inspect this mechanism to correct the issue and/or how do i properly take it apart?
    3. Any other items i should be concerned with or checking given this is occurring?

Thanks
    Bill Saltenberger

Liked: 10

First I would disconnect the cable from the mechanism on the box. I don't know if they all are the same but mine has a little round clip/pin that once removed the cable snaps off the little button its on. Now you can see if the cable is bound or moves freely.

Next you can see if by hand you can move the neutral release on the trans and shift it in and out of gear. You can move the gear selector on the back of the trans by hand easily.

Also the triangular mechanism the cable attaches to threads on to the plunger in the side of the trans. I have found if I thread this on too far the lock out does not function. It if already out and the cable has no movement to it. I have to have mine in the center of the threads to make it work.

Hope this helps some
    Mat

Senior Member Bruce Allen FSCCA #82's Avatar
    Liked: 3

additionally: I have found that the cable must have a little slack in it or the lockout may not do its job.
    Bruce, the "Greased Shadow"

Thread Information