Liked: 3

Default FM driving school

OK, so my son has an FM but doesn't have much time to drive it.
    I'm 60, retired, have lots ot time and want to learn to drive it, left foot braking, the works.
    I'm not looking to be overly competitive, just safe and enjoyment.
    Bondurant offers a course ( no sure if they still do ).

Any reccomendations ?

Thanks,
    John B.

Liked: 210

There are quite a few good 'pay' drivers schools around and Bondurant is most certainly one of the oldest and well established ones. And, I guess they do still use real FM's in the school.

Some other to consider for open wheel training but not necessarily in FM's on track:

http://www.bondurant.com/

http://skipbarber.com/

http://www.racenow.com/home.htm

http://www.race2000.com/
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 28

Default Bondurant

I went to the four day road racing school at Bondurant in April and loved it. First three days in C7 Corvettes (they REALLY are race cars!) and final day in Formula Mazda. Three students to one instructor for entire course. Gradually building on skills with excellent, self paced, coaching from the exceptional staff. And Bob himself is there everyday to talk with and watch run his hot laps.

I highly recommend it. I am 62 and, while one of the older "students", I was one of the quicker (I do have some very old experience). Everyone who attended got better each day. Never too old to race!

Mike

Contributing Member

Default Arizona Sunshine!

PS It is sunny and warm in Arizona this time of year! They even offer summer discounts on their fees!

Liked: 3

Any FM drivers want to give me some advice ?
    Otherwise sunny and warm Arizona it is. Probably wait till the fall though
    temp. is good here now.

John B.

Contributing Member

Default SCCA Full Competition License

One more plug for Bondurant John. Successful completion of the Four Day Roadracing school automatically qualifies you for an SCCA Competition license. You get 4-5 hours of track time per day. That's the equivalent of around two years of racing in four days.

Mike

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by Firesmith View Post
    I .....and Bob himself is there everyday to talk with and watch run his hot laps....
    And HOT he was in the day! I first saw Bondurant race at a weekend SCCA event in Tucson, Arizona on an airport course back in about 1959. His competition was the likes of Dave McDonald(who a couple years later caused a huge deadly crash at Indy) in an A Production Corvette , Jim Hall and Hap Sharp of Chaparral fame in Lister Corvettes, Max Belchowsky in Old Yeller and a wealthy oil man from Oklahoma in a Birdcage Maserati. Bondurant was driving a car called the Hageman Special (see below). It was the first time I had ever seen a driver put a car into a REAL 4 WHEEL DRIFT lap after lap like it was a Sunday drive. Just amazing and of course he won.
    Last edited by rickb99; 11.21.14 at 3:37 PM.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Thread Information