Liked: 49

Default OZ Magnesium wheels

I posted the in FB but I suppose it belongs here...

Does anyone know the actual weight difference between the OZ 12 spoke alloy/aluminum wheels and the 5 spoke magnesium wheels in 8" and 10" width. I am trying to understand what my weight savings would be. I have VD hubs with offsets straight from FE.

There are threads which discuss this but no actual weights.
    Doug
    “THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.”
    Hunter S Thompson

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Hey Doug - I have both and will try to get 'em on a scale, but an going to be pretty busy heading into WGI.
    I have a better idea - come to that race and we'll weigh 'em there.

Hope to see you there.

GC

I'll be there. Putting in a new engine as mine crapped out at the NJ major. Looking forward to a large FB turnout.
    “THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.”
    Hunter S Thompson

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

According to Jerry O;

SCCA Legal Aluminum Wheels
    Front 12lbs 3.6 oz (12.225 lbs)
    Rear 11ibs 14.4 oz (11.900 lbs)

Now if someone could post teh magnesium numbers we'd be golden. Otherwise Coop and I will be weighing at the glen...
    Hunter S Thompson

So we measured Coops OZ mag wheels vs my alum wheels with the exact same tires mounted. Did it on a car scale so it only rounds to the nearest lb. Weight came in at 5 lbs diff fronts, 4 lbs diff rears. The design of the wheels is identical- OZ 12 spoke. Slightly different hubs but nothing that should effect weight.

So a full set is 18 or 19lbs different!
    Hunter S Thompson

Liked: 286

Do you have a source for the OZ Mg wheels in 8 & 10"? I may be interested for my Van Diemen P2 car.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Default Coop?

Perhaps Coop can chime in...
    Hunter S Thompson

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    Do you have a source for the OZ Mg wheels in 8 & 10"? I may be interested for my Van Diemen P2 car.
    I think that Kevin at Comprent can get them.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 7

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Licked Racing View Post
    According to Jerry O;

SCCA Legal Aluminum Wheels
    Front 12lbs 3.6 oz (12.225 lbs)
    Rear 11ibs 14.4 oz (11.900 lbs)
    So, the 10" rim is 5.2 oz less than the 8" rim... umm

I know, we had the same thought. But we measured a few times and it came out the same. Bear in mind this is with tires mounted so the tire weight was influencing everything. It could be, because of rounding that the fronts were 4.6 diff and the rears were 4.4 and they rounded to 5 and 4. Not sure.
    Doug
    Hunter S Thompson

Thread Information