Liked: 0

Default March 86A swirl pot

Does anyone know where I can find a swirl pot for March 86A indy lights car with a Montgomery Buick v6?

Liked: 141

If the 86A has the Cosworth pumps (low down, both sides of block, driven by front toothed belt in 'triangular' cast aluminum housing, similar to most F1, F3000 of the period, and like the more recent I/Lights through 2002) then no swirl pot is needed since a de-aeration housing is built in to the RH pump.

I'm just going off every picture I've seen that had a swirl pot on them. I just assumed I needed one.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 272

Default Swirl Pot

You need one even with the Cosworth pumps as it main function is just a header tank. There were some kicking about in the March Indy Light spares that were here in atlanta for a while - I can ask where they went
    Phil

Default Marchives

Try Jeremy Buckingham at Marchives dot com in Atlanta - If they didn't end up with them I bet they know where they went. Failing that he will get you the drawing I'm sure. He just produced a 752 wing drawing for me!
    Phil

Liked: 141

Default Update

Just had to split my car to replace a crank trigger sensor so two pics of my set-up attached.

When you said 'swirlpot' it never occurred to me that the term can also includes 'header tank' which you obviously meant and obviously need.

On my car there is no actual 'swirlpot' to deaerate the coolant water and it works just fine without one. I did incorporate 3/4" diam restrictions in the water-out manifolds which help to retain pressure in the heads and thus discourage steam/'air' formation. After that there are just three small tubes to release any air/steam back to the header tank - one on each rad and one from the rear corners of the heads which are prone to steam collection since the main water flow is out of the front. Your water flow may be the opposite - out of the rear.

And a correction - I said there is a deaeration chamber in the Cosworth pumps - well there is but it is for oil not water!

I did search Google Images for 86A/Buick pics and found some with swirl pots and some without. Take your pick. There's no disadvantage if you can find space for one.

Hope this helps you - Maybe you've already got what you need from Marchives.

Liked: 1881

The original March Lites car definitely had a swirl pot/header tank.

Default From the Indy Lightsparts book

Swirl Pot 85B-13-15
    Header Tank 86A-13-03
    No picture though

Somewhere I have some pics I took back in '87 of all the car components & assemblies at Ron Dehays shop, which should have included the swirl pot and header tank. If I have the time & can find them, I'll get them converted to digital & post them. Might take a while, so don't hold your breath!

Phil's part #s are correct.

I have a copy of the original blueprint from March. I was just trying to save some time by finding one already made. But thanks for looking.

Most of the cars went to Mexico after the Lola started being used. Heaven only knows where all that stuff is now.

Thread Information