Liked: 0

Default books on Formula chassis and engines

Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a chassis/engine in the next 6 months to begin racing. In the mean time, I'm trying to get as much info as possible so my purchase decision will be as informed as possible. Aside from scouring this website (and some other good ones I've found) and reviewing the SCCA's current competition rules book, is there any good books/links you guys know of that catalogues the different chassis/engines that are used and their strengths/weaknesses and/or reputation?

To give you guys a better idea what it is I'm looking for, I'll give you an example of gaps in my info:

I've read on here about buying a cheaper chassis to learn on that may not be super competitive, and to stick with it until I can hang mid-pack with it, then moving up from there. In some of these threads, people have mentioned specific chassis as examples, but never explained WHY these weren't competitive anymore. If I knew what made certain options less competitive, I may be able to find a chassis that, through its specific weaknesses, may be capable of being made more competitive for less money than an equally priced and equally-uncompetitive alternative chassis. Unfortunately, I don't have the data to know these things yet.

I've seen threads where people were recommended to attend events and talk with the racers, but unfortunately this isn't a realistic option for me just yet since there are no upcoming events in my area.

As a disclaimer to avoid being recommend books I've already purchased (and am currently waiting delivery on), I have the following (but would love recommendations on other books):
    A-Z of Formula Racing Cars by David Hodges
    Complete Series of Carroll Smith books

Liked: 229

Formula car technology-- Howdy Holmes
    Advanced Race car suspension development-- steve smith
    Hands on Race Car engineering---- John Glimmerveen
    The Formula Ford Book --- Nick Brittan

7/8 finished
    Competition Car Preparation--- Simon McBeath
    next on list to read
    Competition Car Suspension--- Allan Staniforth

&
    Race Car engineering
    Race Tech
    two periodicals out of the UK

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1491

But none of those books will really help you with what to buy. The Smith books will tell you a lot about what you are getting into though.

A lot of questions to ask and answer first:

What is your projected budget per weekend? How many times do you plan to race per year? It takes four or so just to keep minimally proficient - more if you really want to improve. Entry fees and tow costs, safety equipment, are pretty much fixed costs - but the running costs of different classes vary significantly.

Generally, the higher the horsepower, the more expensive the engine, gearbox, uprights, brakes, and tires - and the upkeep on all of the above - as well as less tolerance for mistakes.

Anything with a tub is not especially tolerant of beginner mistakes.

How are your mechanical abilities? Time commitments? Some cars are extremely complicated, all require between 10 and 40 hrs in the garage for every hour on the track.

Do you have storage for the car on site? Cars tend to collect spares, a huge amount of tools, setup equipment, and shop stuff - some more than others. Getting a place with sufficient space in a big metro area can cause the mortgage to cut into your budget - but then so does a 25 mile commute....

If you don't have the time, the space, or the desire to learn the mechanics, then you'll need a prep shop - which will completely change the economics of your decision.

APEXSPEED is truly one of the best run and subscribed enthusiast sites on the web. Most of what you need to know is located in the archives here. There are a lot of threads like yours in the getting started area, and the pros/cons/costs of various classes can be extracted from their specific forums. Just keep reading, and keep asking questions. There should be events at VIR and Summit Point in the next few weeks, so you can drop by and meet people in person. I wouldn't be surprised if someone in the area offers to show you around and discuss things in person.

Liked: 229

Yes actual experience at the track is invaluable. But the first trip to the track you are often overwhelmed by the whole show.
    Reviewing the literature puts you in a better position to understand and ask proper question. Having done a few technical conferences the more prepared and better informed the attendees are results, in a greater sharing of information.

One of the early questions I ask my interns is what is more important to get right, tire pressure or tire temperature.

This whole process is a learning curve, the more you take in- the more you can contribute.

A engine book found in many engine builders library
    The design and Tuning of Competition Engines--- Philip H Smith

Pegasus has a couple of books/videos on FF competition engines

Liked: 8

I'll have a well sorted 2013 FB Stohr for sale soon.
    Jason Bell
    STOHR 2013
    F1000
    f1000bwracing@highwaysystemsinc.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

Ummm...a FB might not be the best 'first race car'...

Give us a thumb nail sketch of who you are; your experience, age range, aspirations, funds commitment, etc.

There are some tried and true paths that many members of this site have been through and can tell you what to expect. We've been there, done that.

You are in the heart of some really good formula car shops, engine builders and people. There are some great tracks for junior formula cars in shouting range (VIR, Summit PT, NJMP, Pitt Race (BeaverRun), MO, WGI, LRP to name a few).
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Liked: 19

Default Tweener

If you are a dentist, you want a tweener first car. ........... a used Van Dieman FC Pinto for $14K -$22K or a used Van Dieman Zetec FC, $30K , ........... easy to run and quick and plenty of help around ........ IMO

Liked: 8

Default FWIW

If I had to do it all again. I would look to find a good race shop nearby. Ask here on Apex for recommendations. Then get down there, intro yourself and pick their brains. Perhaps work for them for a few races. If nothing else you will get a taste for what a race weekend is like (not easy work). As well, this may well give you a taste for what is "out there" in terms of cars to purchase. This same race shop ideally could set you up for a rental so you could then get a taste for driving....there are a number of ways to do this......then, after a bit of seat time with somebody else responsible for the car (mechanically) you can ease your way into running the car yourself or in concert with them as well. I know of a few prep folks who would let you work yourself into the process, charge you a little bit less if you run your car at the track yourself but under their awning... That is how I got my start in drag racing. and it worked well. Formula car racing I did it all myself and learned a lot of things the hard way....and found out that fixing them is a lot less fun than driving them.

There is nothing less fun than trying to figure out driving, car prep, sorting out mechanical problems all on your own....you will spend most all your time fixing broken bits or bent suspension arms instead of learning how to do it right.

Mike is right; an FB car is a steep learning curve for a newbie...and will cost a lot for a missed shift or an off....buying an older FF would be a much better way to go and is PLENTY competitive and quick!

As always YMMV.

Best of luck!

Tom
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Liked: 1115

Quote Originally Posted by brownslane View Post
    If I had to do it all again. I would look to find a good race shop nearby....buying an older FF would be a much better way to go and is PLENTY competitive and quick.

And there's not much educational point in buying any more books until you've digested what Carroll Smith has to say. For entertainment and historical perspective, though, you could consider Mark Donohue's Unfair Advantage as well as Race Car Engineering And Dynamics. And any of Nigel Roebuck's anthologies.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 1115

Oh, and the idea of buying something and trying to upgrade it is a big money waste. The overwhelming consensus is you'll do better buying somebody else's completed project. When you want to move up, you can often sell for about what you paid.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Thread Information