Contributing Member
    Liked: 77

Default How do I evacuate fuel cell?

So I get in my car after 16 months yesterday at the free test day at Thunder Hill. I know for sure I had put 5 gallons in on May 26 for some outing that never took place. On lap two yesterday Black Flag All with me stranded on track. How embarrassing. Out of gas. Five gallons had disappeared and I'm told that can happen without a leak.
    So what is the easiest way to rig up a deal to empty the fuel cell with fuel pump?
    Hybels

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default RUH ROH...

OMG - You realize that C.A.R.B. and the NSA are all over this site, and you basically just admitted to allowing approx 4 gallons of gasoline to evaporate into the surrounding countryside? I'd be expecting a knock on the door sometime around 4am

I gotta say that sounds like a massive loss of fuel - was the fuel cell cap not in place?
    I've never heard of that kind of loss from a sealed system, BUT I have heard of ethanol blended fuel (E10, or higher concentration) eating pinholes into the cell bag, and that might explain the fuel loss.

I hope that's not the case. What exactly did you have for fuel in the bag for the last 16 months?

BTW, I rig a jumper wire, so I can unplug the fuel pump hot lead, then connect the wire and seprate quick connect coming from switched main disconnect. Hook up jumper wire, place end of drain hose from fuel feed line into empty fuel jug and turn main switch on.

DO NOT let the pump run past the point of seeing the first few bubbles go by in the clear evac hose.

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hybels View Post
    So I get in my car after 16 months yesterday at the free test day at Thunder Hill. I know for sure I had put 5 gallons in on May 26 for some outing that never took place. On lap two yesterday Black Flag All with me stranded on track. How embarrassing. Out of gas. Five gallons had disappeared and I'm told that can happen without a leak.
    So what is the easiest way to rig up a deal to empty the fuel cell with fuel pump?

I got one of these from Pegasus a few years ago since my car has a mechanical fuel pump.

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/brow...ump&pin=105511

Dick

Liked: 141

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    DO NOT let the pump run past the point of seeing the first few bubbles go by in the clear evac hose.
    Hmmm - why not?
    Pretty certain I've done that and I'm still here.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1908

DO NOT USE A SHOP VAC ! Yea, it was a very long time ago. The blast knocked me out the front door of my shop into the parking lot.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 126

I just took my fuel cell out and turned it upside down to drain it.

Contributing Member

I had 100 octane in it that I bought at the track. I promise not to use a shop vac.
    Part of the reason to have pump remove fuel I in the event I ever actually race the thing it would be nice to have just enough gas to run the length of qualifying.
    Doing these jumper wire things scares me. I can see a fried ECU or something
    I actually have a little transfer pump I use to put gas in but I'm not sure hose would go down inside to remove gas. Guess I'll give I a try. duh
    Thanks guys and Happy New Year
    PS
    Check out "oxtool" on YouTube if you like making things of metal as well as "Welding tips and tricks"
    Hybels

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1495

I've had that unexplained fuel loss not just once, but twice. If you have a black rubber bag (premier style) you get wicking over large areas and in low humidity/high temp environments, the eval rate can exceed the leak rate and the fuel is gone with little notice.

I de-fuel mine with an old facet pump (usually because I've had to weld an ear back on and make a "spare". I use old -3 brake lines, feed them down thru the filler neck, and pump it out.

Liked: 112

Disconnect the fuel pump connector. Find matching connector (its a ford fuel injector connector). Make a lead with this to an external battery. Install an inline switch if you are feeling fancy. Connect this to the fuel pump. Disconnect fuel line at the beginning of the fuel rail. Apply power, drain fuel. Stop. Reverse process to put it back together.

No way to fry the ECU.

Mumm Brothers has this part available if you don't care to make your own.
    http://www.mummbrothers.com/FSCCA_Stuff/MainPage_F.htm

jim

Liked: 4

I'm cheap, and my fuel tank is small (autocross only car), but I use one of these down the filler neck: http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-u...ump-66418.html

It works pretty good, and can move a couple gallons in a few minutes - although unless you've got popeye arms, you'll want something powered to get 5+ gallons out.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Quote Originally Posted by dereklola View Post
    Hmmm - why not?
    Pretty certain I've done that and I'm still here.
    Referring to an in-cell,high pressure fuel pump not being allowed to run dry as the fuel itself provides the lubrication and cooling of the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    Referring to an in-cell,high pressure fuel pump not being allowed to run dry as the fuel itself provides the lubrication and cooling of the pump.
    Ah - good point - good timing too since I've just converted from a manual emptying pump to using the in-tank electric pump. You might have saved me some money next summer.

Liked: 218

Like Jim said, get the part from the Mumm's. We use the sample port plug to empty the fuel (Jiffy Tite), but if you've got the other type of fuel port (double Viton seals, long thin "tube") you can hold it open or build a fixture to hold it open.

We don't use the alligator clips like the Mumm's do. We put the same quick connect plug from our jumper battery on the jumper wire. Works great.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Contributing Member

Mumms the word. You guys are great. I'm going to make another donation to this great site as I hope we all do at some point.
    Thanks
    Hybels

Liked: 232

Default Pics .........

Plastic box from Sears; Mr Gasket fuel pump Pep Boys (on sale) fuel line and "hard" brake line with clamps NAPA, clamp to hold line to jug, ACE; jumper wire - marine store,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Swift17 View Post
    Plastic box from Sears; etc......................
    Had one like that once - used it at Watkins Glen (owned by NASCAR) - got threatened with eviction. Apparently sloshing fuel from a jug into a funnel into a car is acceptable but not anything with electricity.

Same track (owned by NASCAR - did I say that already?) - crew member fell and broke his leg in the garages - made us move him outside so they could lock up promptly at 7pm.

Two unfortunate experiences in 30+ years is not too bad I guess. They are the only ones I can remember.

Liked: 1886

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hybels View Post

How do I evacuate the fuel cell?
    Just yell "FIRE!!!!" really loud and everyone in it will climb out immediately.

Contributing Member

Well Richard you can't yell "theater" in a crowded fire so I'm not too sure your suggestion wouldn't get me in trouble. But I'll try it and see what happens.
    Hybels

Thread Information