Thread: New to Racing

Liked: 0

Post New to Racing

Hello all--my name is Clarence and I am new to all of this. I have been a spectator for the better part of my 47 years on the planet and have recently taken the plunge on a 92 Formula Continental. I am really excited about it and am doing my driver school here in Houston in Jan. The main reason I went ahead and got a car was because this is a learn by doing sport, I am decent with wrenches and the wheel and the cost of just going to a three day class and renting a car, travelling to a school, and hotels etc. was half the purchase price of a car. So I am really excited to be getting into racing and hope to see and meet many of you on the track and learn. Any advice regarding maintaining the car, as well as of course driving the darn thing will be very helpful and I hope to make many new friends along the way of course!

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

What make of car ?
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Post 1992 Swift SE3 Formula Continental

The car I got is a Swift SE3 Formula Continental...good fit for me; I am 5'9" 163 lbs...2 liter Pinto engine...very fun to drive!

Liked: 36

FC is dead in the SoWDiv. Just show up and you will be SoWDiv champion.
    Crossle 32F, Piper DF5 Honda

Post FC competition

My goal with this car is to train a good deal and become more proficient and then upgrade in a few years...does this seem to make good sense starting out?

You've got the car, so have fun on track days & at your driver's school Hallet Motor Speedway isn't toooo far away & a great place to have fun !

Liked: 36

Quote Originally Posted by clarencelamb View Post
    My goal with this car is to train a good deal and become more proficient and then upgrade in a few years...does this seem to make good sense starting out?
    I think it depends on the individual and what you want to accomplish. Many recommend entry level racers start with a car that's pure mechanical grip and learning the art of setup and driving that type of car before moving on to aero downforce cars.

Timely. Published on Safe is Fast today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqwbn...ature=youtu.be
    http://safeisfast.us2.list-manage1.c...d&e=a0c79a5589
    Last edited by BWC54; 12.02.13 at 7:51 PM. Reason: Added relevent link
    Crossle 32F, Piper DF5 Honda

On a Pinto. Keep the revs below 6800 & she'll run a long time. She likes Redline 40 wt oil. Make a pre-on track check list & use it. Ya don't wanna forget to tighten your wheel nuts with a torque wrench. The Carrol Smith books are a great read. Watch your mirrors. Hold a steady, predictable line. And use a moisturizer on your face so that big grin doesn't crack it

Liked: 610

Default New to Racing

Welcome.
    I think you have taken the right approach.

I know a few things about Continentals of which I'll gladly talk you through, but not that much about the specifics of a Swift chassis.

But, that shouldn't be an issue.

There have been a number of people, many who frequent this site, that have driven Swifts and I'm sure they will be able to help fill those gaps.

You can also call me if that will be of any help.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

That Safe is Fast site has a great bunch of information on everything. Well worth watching.
    Cheers and good luck.
    Graham.

Thread Information