Liked: 6

Default New Dash and Data Acq

I'm finally at the stage of purchasing a new dash and data acquisition for my Fit conversion into a DB-1. I want GPS. I need it work easily with the Honda Fit kit ECU and wiring harnesses. Integrated video would be nice, but not required. This technology seems to be changing constantly, so I'm hoping for up-to-date advice.

What systems have y'all been putting in your cars?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 102

Here's something quick to look at that gives you an idea of things to look for in a system and planning http://www.trailbrake.net/2/post/201...-a-system.html

AiM systems, Pi, CDS, and Motec are very popular. What is your budget? Is anyone helping you with data? If so, what systems are they familiar with?

Quote Originally Posted by romoman View Post
    AiM systems, Pi, CDS, and Motec are very popular. What is your budget? Is anyone helping you with data? If so, what systems are they familiar with?
    I do my own data analysis. I had a DL-1 in my Spec Miata before I got the Swift. I could make sense of their data. I liked their analysis tools. I'm know I'll end up spending a couple grand, at least, for the system. More if it has integrated video. Thanks for the link. I'll read it.

Ellen at Veracity Racing Data steered me toward an AIM EVO4 GPS logger and Mychron3 display, and I have been very happy with both the performance and price. The missing element for you is integrated video, unless you also get a SmartyCam.

Assuming your Honda chassis harness has the optional data connector, logging the engine data is super easy. It takes an additional harness to connect the Honda harness to the logger, but getting it working is just a matter of plugging it in.

The GPS data stream gives you lap times, predictive lap times, track maps, speed, longitudinal and lateral accelerations, slope, heading, and the dash will tell you which gear you are in. The EVO4 logger also has a 3 axis accelerometer inside, which gives you better resolution due to faster update rates.

Contributing Member

One really nice thing about AiM is the ability to "move up the chain" from basic loggers to their top of the line loggers while using the same software. An Evo4, GDash, and SmartyCam HD (which is coming out in the next week or so) is a fantastic system. That system, connected to your engine, would give you some really good data and then allow you to expand into anything you want (shock positions, various other temps, etc).

Liked: 553

I had an Aim with my Fit and it was great. HPD offers a subharness that allows you to log a lot of data from the ECU (throttle position, voltage, fuel pressure, etc.).

Ellen is great to work with. You'll be glad you had a conversation with her.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default EV04

I'm also running the AIM EV04 system with a Mychron 3 dash and it has worked great. It is also expandable which is really nice. I have put a lot of info on my blog about my data system and you can check it out here: http://rayphillips.blogspot.com. I also bought a number of items from Veracity Data as well. Ellen and David are both great to work with. Good luck!

Ray

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

Quote Originally Posted by Neil_Roberts View Post
    Ellen at Veracity Racing Data steered me toward an AIM EVO4 GPS logger and Mychron3 display, and I have been very happy with both the performance and price. The missing element for you is integrated video, unless you also get a SmartyCam
    We too chose Veracity for a system (Stack dash) for a customer "vintage" Alfa. It works perfectly, has the GPS, is easy to use and they were very helpful as well.

Lawrence
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 79

One thing that might be helpful for folks just reading along.
    The EVO4 is a data logger with analog and digital inputs for sensors. It can also read CAN data from a whole bunch of OEM ECUs. The EVO4 has 10hz gps and an accelerometer built in.

You can use a couple different displays with the EVO4. The GDash is the latest display only unit. There is also a Mychron 3 dash only that is only a display. The Mychron 3 dash only, is not the same as the Mychron 3 data system often used alone by karts and cars too.

I had trouble wrapping my head around all the things that AIM offered but finally figured it out. Thought some others may appreciate these little facts that are hard to find on the AIM website.

If you're looking, call one of the dealers and let them tell you what you need.

Andy P.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Default Re: New Dash and Data Acq

Thx Andy ! I'm easily confused
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 157

Another +++ for Ellen and Dave Ferguson at Veracity Racing. They know their stuff, are great to deal with and they are also racers (S2000).

Liked: 232

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Valet View Post
    Another +++ for Ellen and Dave Ferguson at Veracity Racing. They know their stuff, are great to deal with and they are also racers (S2000).

Respectfully .........Problem solved !!

Note: pics of my AiM w/ custom db-1 dash and placement of the "brain" behind the dash NOT on the floor etc.. Ellen and Dave were very helpful and patient with me on this "one-off" project.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Very well done !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Quote Originally Posted by Swift17 View Post
    Respectfully .........Problem solved !!

Note: pics of my AiM w/ custom db-1 dash and placement of the "brain" behind the dash NOT on the floor etc.. Ellen and Dave were very helpful and patient with me on this "one-off" project.
    Very clean set-up. I'll try something similar. Thanks for the pictures.

Thread Information