Liked: 2

Default Super Vee Distrutor

I recently acquired a Ralt RT 5. I have broken 2 distribtor rotors. I am told this was an issue with this engine. Anyone have any experiance/ideas or comments

Liked: 160

I ran a Bosch distributor with a Bosch electronic ignition and never had a problem with rotors. You could always switch to a crank trigger system like an electromotive and do away with the distributor.

Cheers, Joe

Liked: 121

I was told missed shifts and improper down shifts are the cause of the rotors breaking. I used a piece of rubber hose around the base of the rotor which seemed to solve the problem. I also checked the rotor after each session and kept a few on hand at all times.

I am using a crank fired ignition system, the rotor fits directly on the camshaft, the "distributor" base is bolted to the back of the head. Sounds like I'm not the only onr with this issue, thanks for the advice!

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1490

what's the failure mechanism? What does a failed part look like?

The rotor splits into several pieces

Liked: 17

I currently run a 84 Anson Super Vee. I believe the ignition you are running is the original Lumenition unit. It is somewhat complicated. By your description your distributor is driven by the rear of the cam. Your distributor has points in it that are used for starting the vehicle. Once the engine is running and above 500 rpm the crank mounted blade and electric eye takes over the ignition and the distributor is just distributing spark. There can be some flexing of the cam and this may cause the rotor to contact the terminals on the inside of the cap. To eliminate this I would move the distributor to the block. This will require a new distributor. To totally eliminate the distributor you will need to go an Electromotive ignition.

Tim Bland

Thanks for the advice tim,
    There are no internals at all in the distributor. The ignition is crank fired thru a Motronic (14000 I am told) ECU. I really hope my cam is not flexing that much! I have a rev limiter with a 7300 rpm chip, so over reving should not be the problem

Liked: 14

Default broken rotor

The first time I drove the Anson SA-6 that I bought last year, the rotor broke.
    I found that the aluminum mount for the cap was not tight, nor was the rotor "driveshaft".
    At high RPM, the misalignment got worse, and..........engine quit. My bad for not checking EVERYTHING before driving it.
    Eleven events later, and no problems.
    Hi Ya Tim!
    Mike McHugh

Liked: 33

Default broken bosch rotors f/sv?

so i have been running a bosch block mounted distributor on my 79 March f/sv (1600 cc) and have never broken a rotor. i am running the lumenition ignition system which eliminates the points and have never had any ignition issues, in 24 weekends.
    (hope i didn't just jynx myself!!!)

fletch
    1979 March 79V, s/n 2

Thanks for the responces. I'll go through the entire system again

Thread Information