Liked: 202

Default Re: Frequent Trailer Tire Failure

Thx Chris
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

Thanks, I'll check it out. Bob

Liked: 183

let us know how it turns out, I am also interested, but haven't taken the time to purchase and install one of these kits yet.

Liked: 313

TST is one of the companies I have read about, some negative feedback though.

Hawkshead advertised here and seems to have a good reputation.

TireTracker so far seems to have the best reputation and has a 3 year warranty (most are 3 or 6 months). They also have reasonably prices replacement sensors and a signal booster.

All three of the above are around $240 for 4 channels with the ability to add sensors to cover the whole rig.

Pressure Pro is one of the more expensive at about $400. I haven't seen anything that indicates that you get any more quality or features for the extra money.

There are others but these seem to be the ones I am finding talked about most on the RV websites. In searching around I think most or all of these systems are based on common chips from Texas Instruments or other big operations.

Shrader is a big supplier to the OEM's and has a system that is about the same price as the aftermarket guys. OEM supplier counts a lot with me from a quality standpoint and replacement parts will be available forever.

Right now I am leaning towards the TireTracker or the Shrader unless someone here comes up with a strong recommendation for something else.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

Thank you for the research!!! Bob

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar

Ditto

Liked: 313

Maybe last update: Read that Shrader says specifically "Not for trailers". I am trying to confirm but believe they don't have the range to do trailers reliably.

Spent the money on a TireTraker. Wish me luck.
    Last edited by Dave Harmison; 09.11.13 at 1:50 PM.

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

Thanks for doing all the research. Never considered one of these system before but am now.
    Lawrence
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Thx to all ! I like the 3 yr warranty on Tire Tracker I've never had a trailer tire failure. I never pull faster than 65. Grease bearings before every long haul & check tire temps & pressures at each fuel stop. That being said, I know I've just jinxed myself

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

Been using nothing but Carlisle since about 1990 when I had a choice.

Wore a couple out, but never had a failure or incipient one.

Got a flat at MO once and to have full compliment of spares, had to buy a Goodyear radial and it lasted about 6 years before having a tread separation occur.

YMMV

Liked: 174

I appreciate the info. regarding tire pressures! I've always run around 35 lbs. of pressure
    in my tires, but have up'd them to 45 lbs. for my trip to the Glen this weekend!

Thanks again!

Mark

92' Protoform P-1

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    Been using nothing but Carlisle since about 1990 when I had a choice.

Wore a couple out, but never had a failure or incipient one.

Got a flat at MO once and to have full compliment of spares, had to buy a Goodyear radial and it lasted about 6 years before having a tread separation occur.

YMMV
    I had tread separation on a 14 inch 2 or 3 year old Carlisle last summer. See pic. Spotted during a rest area pit stop so changed it in 100 degree heat before it went boom. Single axle trailer with 2500 lbs total axle weight. Tires always inflated to 45 - 50 psi cold. Tow at 60 - 65 mph. Tire still had the same air pressure (mid 50's since hot) as the one on the other side. Other than the missing "chunks" shown in the pic there was no apparent damage other than the shape of the tread.

I don't recall if this was curbside or "road" side. I suspect it was the result of a "pothole" hit given the condition of the highways in the Midwest where this happened and where we had been towing that summer.

Dick

Contributing Member
    Liked: 102

I've had my best luck with Goodyear tires bought from Camper's Warehouse (or whoever your local camper place is). Those guys go through a ton of tires and you always get fresh ones.

Liked: 141

Quote Originally Posted by Dick R. View Post
    I had tread separation on a 14 inch 2 or 3 year old Carlisle last summer. See pic.
    That looks like more like a "cut tread" from road debris to me (not that I'm an expert) rather than tread separation from heat/low-pressure/overload. Surely tread separation is when large areas, maybe even the full circumference, comes off the tire carcase.

Happened to me once - I now buy new every three years - cheap insurance. Derek

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

I had 5 trailer tire blowouts this past season, had not had one in years. Double axle trailer, mostly new tires, blowouts on each position, we were going nuts. Finally realized that I had trailer maintenance done last winter and we figured that the new hub assemblies must have had a slightly different offset from the ones that came and had reduced the clearance between the tire and the inner tire well. As the tire flexed it was rubbing ever so slightly, leaving a black stripe. We put some 1/4" wheel spacers on and haven't had an issue with the last 2000 miles of towing.

Liked: 5

I have been running the Goodyear Marathon on my old 16' trailer and my new 36' 5th wheel trailer with no problems. I replace them when they are 5 years old by the date code. Tow at 65 mph and make sure they are at the rated pressure when cold.

I did just have a left rear flat tire on my '06 Dodge 2500 while I wasn't towing. Truck doesn't have TPMS. Tire got a puncture in the center of the tire going down the highway in the middle of nowhere. Didn't know it until I started to hear the significant increase in tire noise as it went flat. If I had the radio cranked up I probably wouldn't have heard it until it started to come apart. When I gently braked and pulled over the tire was already smoking and the side walls were starting to chunk, tear and fall apart. Luckily it did it right in front of an off ramp and I was able to nurse it along at 2 mph to a safe area to put the spare on. Might have to consider a TPMS system. It probably would have alerted me sooner and possibly saved the tire from damage so it could have been repaired.
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

A fellow racer tows a triple axle behind his motor home. Trailer tire blows on interstate. Has no idea. Continues til next fuel stop. Discovers shredded tire, trashed rim, etc. Installs TPMS for next tow. I've been putting this off til new tires are needed. Not a good plan....

Liked: 1886

Quote Originally Posted by JIM McQUAIG View Post
    Between race car trailers and auto transport trailers we have learned a few things
    1) trailer as level as possible to prevent excess wear on one axle
    2) load range e only
    3) no rubber valve stems
    4) you can probably get a much better tire than the ones you have been using ( Maxxis )
    Hope that helps we have not had a failure in about three years

Excellent advice. Always go with the highest rated tire you can find - even if it stretches the budget. All you need is one blowout that tips/trashes the trailer, and the cost of being a cheapskate goes sky high.

Liked: 10

Who sells load range E in 205/75 X 14? The only thing above a C that I've found is the GY U-Haul D noted above . . . if I can find a dealer.

Thanks,

Dick

Liked: 5

In a 14 you won't find a load range E. I was surprised that there was a D so I would go with the GY suggested. I have had good luck with the GY's on mine.
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked: 1886

Go buy 15 inch wheels & tires if they will fit - cheap insurance against losing the trailer & car sometime.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information