Liked: 2

Wanted To Buy Wanted: Cheap Tires

My FST conversion is approaching completion (I'll post pictures in the near future), but it needs some shoes so I can put it on the ground.
    Anyone know of an inexpensive set of tires with some life still left in them?

Liked: 530

I've been scoring used FE tires for free as guys get rid of them at SCCA events. They range in used from four to eight heat cycles usually, so they are not competitive, but plenty of rubber and give you a chance to at least get some seat time for a little less money. I've spent my first year with the car on free tires, since this is my first Formula car. I'm fearful of buying my first set of new slicks, since it will probably ruin me forever and the free ones will no longer suffice to fulfill my addiction to speed.

Don't know your situation, but overall not a big deal for me since I'm relegated to track days since my work schedule doesn't accomodate much opportunity to race this year.

Try attending an SCCA event at Sebring, Palm Beach, Homestead or Daytona as a spectator. Approach guys in the paddock who run the tires you want and see if they'd be willing to give you their take-offs. Most of the top competitors are tossing them at the tire vendor trailer when they pickup new ones anyway. Hoosier will release used ones as long as you have the permission of whomever dropped them off. You do need to catch them relatively soon after a driver takes them over though, else they will get buried in stacks of tires and become hard to find.

Of course you just have to understand that cheap seat time is all they are good for. Not very good for testing and determining good car setup, since the tires aren't working the same as a race set.

Liked: 5

Default Usede tires

Quote Originally Posted by fvkartguy View Post
    My FST conversion is approaching completion (I'll post pictures in the near future), but it needs some shoes so I can put it on the ground.
    Anyone know of an inexpensive set of tires with some life still left in them?

I have one set of cooper tires 2 heat cycles, one set of Hoosiers 2 heat cycles and one set of hoosier rain tires(new) will give you a good price. if interested call me at 410 353 1206 Alain Matrat

Thread Information