Liked: 106

Default 'New posts' clears after timeout

So, occasionally, I'm lax in my apexspeed browsing... I know, how can that happen, right?

Anyway, I get back, click 'new posts', and find there are 6 pages of new posts. Great, that should keep me busy!

I read a few, then get side-tracked with something like work... come back, read one more, click 'back' to get back to the big new list, and it gives me a timeout error - alas I didn't save it this time.

Then, I click 'new posts' again, but now, I only get posts that are new from the last time I clicked 'new posts', losing (well, making harder to find) 5 pages of great info.

Anything I should do differently, or a timeout setting that Doug could look into?

Thanks,
    Gary
    Gary Tholl
    #24 BlurredVisionRacing

Liked: 1417

The timeout setting for your login is pretty long (I think it's a couple of hours, but I'll have to check). The "New Posts" feature is really to show you what is there since you logged into the site last time if you check in multiple times a day. I find that if I experience that time-out of new posts, I can use the "Today's Posts" for almost the same effect. It's in the Quick Links drop-down, and will show you essentially everything that the New Posts will show you.

Liked: 121

Thanks Doug....I was wondering too!

Contributing Member Terry Hanushek's Avatar
    Liked: 59

Doug

Is there any chance of changing the Thread/Forum Read Marking Type from Inactive / Cookie Based to Database (automatic forum marking)? or will that use to much system resource?

The current long timeout works in most sessions and is much better than some vBulletin boards I visit.

Terry

Liked: 1417

With a forum of this size and activity, I am nervous about putting the database under load for forum marking. The vB forums that I have been using for 15 years have all worked this way, and aside from the server load, I don't know if I want to deal with any change in the system for my own personal usability. I might test it this week in a low traffic point of a day.

As for the timeout, it was set at 2 hours. If you can't get through the forums in 2 hours...

I changed it to 4 hours, so that should help get you through the new posts every day. Or, just come back more often.

Liked: 106

Thanks much Doug, I didn't know about 'today's posts' - that will help, as will the 4 hr duration.

Usually it's no issue, but I've been away for almost 2 weeks, and apparently work expects me to catch up too! Even if I read for the 2 hrs straight, I'm not sure I'd have got through all the posts!

Gary
    Gary Tholl
    #24 BlurredVisionRacing

Contributing Member Terry Hanushek's Avatar
    Liked: 59

Doug

With a forum of this size and activity, I am nervous about putting the database under load for forum marking. The vB forums that I have been using for 15 years have all worked this way, and aside from the server load, I don't know if I want to deal with any change in the system for my own personal usability. I might test it this week in a low traffic point of a day.

As for the timeout, it was set at 2 hours. If you can't get through the forums in 2 hours...

I changed it to 4 hours, so that should help get you through the new posts every day. Or, just come back more often.
    Thanks for the response. I understand the concern about resource drag. I seldom have a problem with a two hour time out but moving to a four hour timeout should address most concerns.

Terry

Thread Information