LEXINGTON, OHIO (August 10, 2002) –Bryan Sellers, of Centerville, Ohio won Round Nine of the 2002 Formula Ford 2000 Zetec Championship at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. Completing the top-three was Jeffrey Jones, of Sarasota, Fla., and Ross Fonferko, of Wheaton, Ill. Kip Meeks, of Grove City, Ohio, won the American Continental Championship class.

Following qualifying for race two on Sunday, the Zetec Championship began race one under bright sunny skies just before the lunch break. At the green flag, Sellers, starting from the pole position, led the field two-abreast into the tricky esses. Sellers held the lead ahead of Jones, as the entire field made it through the first few corners. As the lap progressed, Sellers steadily began to pullout a lead over second place. By lap four, Sellers, in the No. 3 Yes Network/3 Dimensional Services/Arai/Sparco/R.G. Sellers Cape Motorsports Van Diemen Ford, had posted a fast lap of 1:22.7, better than the previous lap record set in July. On lap six, the field was bunched back together, as a full-course caution was displayed for Matt Green and Tonis Kasemets making contact in turn one. On the lap nine restart, Sellers got a good jump and held the lead ahead of Jones, in the No. 2 JCI Chemicals/Winchester Roquin Motorsports Van Diemen Ford. While the lead duo pulled away, a great battle ensued for third place between J.W. Urlin and Fonferko. Fonferko took over third place on lap 18, passing Urlin, who had passed for the position at the start. Once past Urlin, Fonferko, in the No. 4 J&R Associates/Ross Racing Inc. Cape Motorsports Van Diemen Ford, began to slowly close on Jones. For the remainder of the race the top-three remained unchanged, with Sellers taking the checkered flag 6.628-seconds ahead of Jones. The win was Sellers’ fourth of the season, and extends his championship lead to 40 points over Jones.

“I’m very happy,” said Sellers, who has led flag-to-flag in three of his four wins. “As always the crew has done an incredible job and given me a great car. This series has a lot of very good drivers, so the crew plays a huge part.”

“Given the changes that have occurred over the last few weeks second place is a good result,” said Jones, who leads the Greg Moore Rookie of the Year standings by 18 points. “The car wasn’t as good as in qualifying. I tried to push Bryan [Sellers], but just didn’t have the car today. I’m going to keep pushing till the championship is decided.”

“It was an handful out there today,” said Fonferko. “I fought Urlin all race, after he passed me at the start. I didn’t expect to get results this fast.”

“It feels real good to win the ACC here in front of CART and this big crowd,” said Meeks who leads the ACC standings. “I tried to run my race and be consistent and the race came to me.”

Completing the top-five was Tom Dyer, of San Rafael, Calif., in the No. 33 Cycle Shack/Menards/Cowboy Charcoal/The “Original” Grill Pad Walko Racing Van Diemen Ford, and Sean McIntosh, of Coquitlam, B.C., Can., in the No. 24 Kirmac Carstar/PPG/Lordco Auto Parts/Sign Way Design/NKG Spark Plugs PR1 Motorsports Van Diemen Ford. Dyer and McIntosh moved into fourth and fifth, after Anthony Massari and Urlin made contact in the esses, while battling for position.