LEXINGTON, OHIO (August 10, 2002) –Sean McIntosh, of Coquitlam, B.C., Can., captured the pole for Round Ten of the 2002 Formula Ford 2000 Zetec Championship at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. Completing the top-three is J.W. Urlin, of London, Ont., Can., and Lawson Aschenbach, of Gaithersburg, Md. The top ACC qualifier is Kip Meeks, of Grove City, Ohio.

In ideal morning conditions, 27 Zetec Championship cars took to the track for a 20-minute qualifying session. In the early stages of the session, the drivers worked on getting temperature into their new sticker tires. Pushing his car to the edge on cold tires, McIntosh quickly moved up the time sheets. Midway through the session, McIntosh posted a fast lap of 1:23.997 in the No. 24 Kirmac Carstar/PPG/Lordco/ Auto Parts/Sign Way Designs/NGK Spark Plugs PR1 Motorsports Van Diemen Ford, to lead all qualifiers. On the same lap, Urlin, in the No. 19 Budget Rent a Car/Mygale Cars OTM Motorsports Mygale Ford, and Aschenbach, in the No. 32 Forsythe/King Auto/M&M Welding/Loos & Dilworth Inc. PR1 Motorsports Van Diemen Ford, posted laps of 1:24.294 and 1:24.363 respectively to move into second third on the grid. Within a minute of posting these times, the track went full-course caution, for Meeks hitting the tire barrier in turn 15. It soon became apparent that the corner clean-up would not be finished in time for the session to resume, giving McIntosh his second pole position in 2002. The front-row of McIntosh and Urlin is the same as when the Zetec raced at Mid-Ohio in July.

“I real pushed the car early on cold tires,” said McIntosh, who has finished in the top-10 in every race this year. “We were little off yesterday, and I think this is more reflective of what the team and myself are capable. I’ve got more experience on running up-front, so hopefully I’ll have a better start than last time here, when I lost the lead in the first corner.”

“I was happy to see the full-course caution,” said Urlin, who finished fourth at Mid-Ohio in July. “I had just posted a quick lap and my crew told me I was in the top-three. It’s great to see two Canadians on the front-row again here at Mid-Ohio.”

“I very happy about the turnaround from yesterday,” said Aschenbach, who qualified a disappointing 16th on Friday. “”I needed a few more laps, but I think everyone did. I’m looking forward to the races.”

Completing the top-five is Bryan Sellers, of Centerville, Ohio, in the No. 3 Yes Network/3 Dimensional Services/Arai/Sparco/R.G. Sellers Cape Motorsports Van Diemen Ford, and Ross Fonferko, in the No. 4 J&R Assiocates/Ross Racing Inc. Cape Motorsports Van Diemen Ford.