Liked: 1417

ST. PETERSBURG, FLA. (April 16, 2002) - The Formula Ford 2000 Zetec Championship, in conjunction with Mickey Thompson Performance Tires, exclusive importers of Avon Race Tyres, today announced the introduction of a new series spec road course tire.

Beginning at Round Eight at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, all cars in the Zetec Championship will be required to run the new A24 Avon Tyres racing slick at all road course events.

The new A24 tire represents a considerable jump in tire technology. Avon has maintained the performance and durability of the compound, but reduced its overall weight by two pounds. The reduction in weight was achieved through new tire manufacturing developments at the Melksham, England, plant. It is expected that this reduction in weight, combined with the benefits associated with this advancement, will give the Zetec Championship cars a significant performance increase on the road courses.

There will be a very limited quantity of the new spec tire at the upcoming series test at Mid-Ohio, April 24-25, 2002, allowing teams and drivers a first opportunity to work with the new A24 tire. Assisting the teams and drivers in the transition to the new tire will be Paul Coates from England. Coates, the Technical Manager of Avon Racing, will work with the teams and drivers through out the two-day test to ensure the new A24 is used to its maximum potential.

With the announcement of the new spec tire in the Zetec Championship, Mickey Thompson has additionally announced the introduction of a new club-racing program. Any driver that has not previously raced on Avon Tyres will be given a free scrubbed set of A24 Avon racing slicks to use and evaluate. It is the goal of Mickey Thompson to not only get club racers to race on Avon Tyres, but to encourage them to become involved in the Zetec Championship.

"The production of the A24 represents a significant leap in technology," said Mickey Thompson Performance Tires President & CEO Lee McMannis. "I believe that the drivers and teams will find the A24 to be a superior tire to anything they've driven on before and we are looking forward to working with them to ensure it's true potential is realized."

The 2002 Formula Ford 2000 Zetec Championship continues with Rounds Three and Four at Mosport International Raceway, May 18-19, as part of the Victoria Day Trans-Am Weekend.

[size="1"][ April 16, 2002, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Doug Carter ][/size]

Liked: 1417

VERY COOL. Where do we get our set?

Liked: 4

Since I already use Avons since last August I guess I don't get any free tires.

Liked: 0

The free sets mentioned above are only going to be available at the Mid-Ohio test April 24-25.

Hi Gang,

After talking to Mickey Thompson I was informed that the free avon scrubbed tires mentioned in my release will be available at series test days. I can provide anyone with dates and location of these tests. In addition, I was told that other arrangements might be made on a case by case basis. Those interested in more information should contact Todd Price at Mickey Thompson to discuss. tprice@mickeythompsontires.com

Cheers,

Al.
    Allan Craighead
    eFormulaCarNews.com Managing Editor
    (226) 808-9472 Cell
    acraighead@howdenmediagroup.com

Did anyone get any of the free scrubbed tires at Mid Ohio and if so, how were they?

Rob Poma
    sarcford@bellsouth.net

Thread Information