Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 190

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyf14d View Post
    The most widely known Kent motor ever made over here was known as "Patch" and it had smooth bores.
    The world famous (not just in the UK) "Patch"
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 08.01.16 at 12:38 PM.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Contributing Member
    Liked: 473

Quote Originally Posted by DFR Dave Freitas View Post
    Haven't seen this much anger since Seb got onto the top step in Canada.
    I can't speak for anyone but myself, but there's no anger here. A little exasperation, perhaps, but anger... ...nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    The world famous (not just in the UK) "Patch"
    Cool. I'd heard about that engine on "The Kent Lives", but I took the whole "world famous" thing as a bit of hyperbole... ...but it appears they spoke the truth.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1493

theoretically, didn't I answer the question in the first post?

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is"
    Yogi Berra

Contributing Member
    Liked: 473

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    theoretically, didn't I answer the question in the first post?
    If you meant that as an answer, I missed it. It seemed you were addressing the question of why roughness was used in general.

So in the other case, thanks!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

Cqn someone tell the story of" Patch "if its not too far off topic

Liked: 0

Patch was made by Minister engines in the early 80's from a T20 block here in the UK. Because of a patch that was welded into the block to fix a crack after the engine blew it was given a sentimental name that grew a significant following after it won 3 consecutive Formula Ford Festivals in the early 80's.

Supposedly it's sister motor is for sale on Ebay that came out of Ayrton Senna's RF80 that is also for sale, intriguing story.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

Thanks, great story

Liked: 8

Default A little more information

Patch was only used because Minister had broken all their "good" motors in qualifying ....and they needed one more for the race. So, back to the shop and they "threw together" this engine at the last minute...and it won the festival! The only reason it was used was because they did not have any "good" blocks left!! I guess that is why I never throw anything out!

I wonder how many other engine builders took an old bock and whacked the casing in the same place??

So go figure!

Tom
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Couldn't win the Run-ons with that motor....some stick-in-the-mud would protest it for having an unauthorized modification to the block

Liked: 95

Default Daryll

Hey I'll give you a suggestion for the Run-ons. Scribe a message in the bottom of the oil pan. I won't tell you if that was me or not!
    JIM (2006 GLC CFC Champion)

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Couldn't win the Run-ons with that motor....some stick-in-the-mud would protest it for having an unauthorized modification to the block

Yep, adding material to the block. Not permitted to add material to any engine part except as specifically allowed such as valve guides and seats.

Pretty silly rule, but long long ago Bertil made some super FSV heads by welding them up and relocating the spark plug or so I am told ...

Imagine if everyone had to do something similar.

Liked: 0

Silly "secrets" keep the slow guys with $ winning races. Your question was by far reasonable but the response was not.
    Better to have raced for a day...
    than been a spectator for life!

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by tjcezar View Post
    Silly "secrets" keep the slow guys with $ winning races.
    It's not secrets, rather it's better parts. There are finite number of great heads, carbs and manifolds out there. They tend to migrate their way to the guys who can win with them. Engine builders are going to build the best finished product they can with the parts you own; it's in their best interest to do so. It's also in their best interest to make sure their "best" driver has the best equipment possible so they can beat the rival engine builders' best effort.

In classes where parts can be machined / massaged moreso than others this is less of an issue.

Liked: 8

Quote Originally Posted by tjcezar View Post
    Silly "secrets" keep the slow guys with $ winning races. Your question was by far reasonable but the response was not.
    It is $$$ that wins races, not silly secrets. That has been the way of motor racing since the beginning. If the guy ahead of you is quicker, get a better motor, tune your car better than him or drive better. Same for all classes, pro or amateur.
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information