Liked: 79

Hello:

Since I am just getting back into the sport-I need to ask-is the Zetec engine going to affect Formula Continental in Club Racing in the next few years?

Contributing Member Steve Thomson's Avatar
    Liked: 11

Bob, there seems some interest now to allow a restricted form of Zetec in FC.
    Go here:
    http://home.mindspring.com/~rboltik/

Steve
    Steve Thomson
    Owner/partner
    ZSports Midwest
    steve(@)zsportsmidwest.com

Liked: 605

i can't remember if, for regional and nationals, the SCCA has been classing them, respectively, as FS or FA but the car would be allowed to run - just not as FC at past events

Liked: 1

Oh no here we go again.
    Just kidding Bob, the last thread on this subject was 5 pages long.
    There won't be any Z-techs in FC for at least 4 yrs. if ever. There just is not enough of them vs. pintos.
    Just my view?
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Liked: 0

Zetec's are run as FA in both regional and national levels.
    Morgan<br />Zetec Championship

Liked: 67

Bob,
    It already has affected FC. Since the pro series adopted the Zetec, few, if any, new cars have been built for Pintos. The same thing that has happened to S2000 will likely happen to FC. S2000 is still a viable class but compared to its heyday, when the pro series was around, it’s not all that healthy. (FF isn't what it was in it's heyday either but a pro series had nothing to do with it.)FC is a strong class now and will be for years to come but the Zetec engine in the pro series has stopped any growth of the class. Maybe something will change to entice people to build and buy new cars but I don’t know what that might be. Don't let the Zetec "legal in FC or not" discussion stop you from jumping into FC.

Jim Nash

Liked: 0

I tested a Zetec in Pacific trim at Buttonwillow last week. What a great engine! With a restrictor the engine is still plenty fast, but no longer tears up the drivetrain. I can't tell you what a pleasure it is to run an engine that you don't need to worry about!

Case in point- on the first day of testing the throttle cable frayed and held the throttle open. When I selected neutral the engine ran up to the rev limiter and stayed there until I hit kill. On my 1600, this would've ended my day, but the Zetec didn't miss a beat.

Wide power band, no carb related hiccups, super-reliable, inexpensive rebuilds, long run-times without discernable power loss-- I'm convinced this engine is key to the future of F2000, both pro and national level.

-Clark

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Because the rule that makes Zetecs run FA for SCCA Nationals sayes they must be in "Pro configuation" They say YOU must have a copy of the current Pro rules to prove your car complys. As the Pro rules [not Pacific F2000] seem to change a lot -No Gurney flaps then OK only on the front secondary wings] They would have a tough time deciding if you were legal! If you just run Regionals it would be a circus trying to keep your car modified for the latest rule change. Any REAL Atlantic driver who gets beat by a Zetec should be to embarrassed to protest you. It's better to enter as FS and the min. weight is only 750 Lb. so you can remove the ballast. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thread Information