Liked: 0

Coming from SCCA Solo II,
    I know I need to upgrade my M2000 helment
    to a SA version..(but want to wait till next year and get a SA2005)

What are the requirments for suits, shoes, gloves, face masks, undies, etc...

what SFI ratings are required?
    What TPP ratings?
    All shoes and gloves have to be Nomex?
    single layer, double? With or W/O undies?

P.S. I know this is in the GCR, but am not
    going to make that aplication till next year...

Thanks Guys...

Raymond,

SFI 3.2/5 is the specification for the suit. It is certified as a 3 layer, but may actually be two. With a 3.2/5 suit, nomex undies aren't required and depending on the suit(I have a NASA cool suit) they sometimes aren't recommended by the manufactuer. The main thing is be as SAFE AS YOU CAN FOR THE $$$$.

You have to have Nomex Socks(single layer is fine, but double is better) Driving shoes and gloves must be nomex. If you have facial or long hair a Balaclava is required, I recommend one though anyway.

As for waiting to get an SA2005 helmet, you might just wanna buy an SA2000 on close out, because the SA2005 won't be here until probably October if they go the route of the SA2000. Also, you're 2000 will be good until 2010 probably...
    Dave Harris
    dave.harris@daveharrismotorsports.com
    http://www.daveharrismotorsports.com

Thanks..
    It gets a bit confusing seeing what is out there to buy, and not knowing what to do...

I thought the helmet had a 10 year life..and wanted to wait and get the most life out of one..
    (as stated above, I won't run it on course till next year.)
    Do you guys buys aero helmets?
    Use some form of head restraint other than a neck brace?

If you have a 2 or 3 layer 3.2/5 with a TPP of 30..
    then you do not have to wear undies, but if you do, are they required to be nomex?

I want the face mask anyway..
    because I agree with you whole hearted..
    "Be as safe as possible for the $$$"

How about PBI/Kevlar shell compaired to Nomex suits? Allowed? Recommended?

I like the aero helmet, but you might list what car you are running and ask what the others in the chasis are using some cars have issues with certain helmets and some need aero. I use a Hans device.

Wooly

I will be running a '92 VD....if that helps..

Liked: 610

Helmet manufactures will not be able to sell SA2005 helmets until after Oct,1,2005. Most who race often, find that their helmets are too loose before ten years time is up.
    A helmet like the Bell Vortex, will reduce problems, if you have one, with your winged car.If you don't need it, why bother.
    We sell Carbon-X for underwear, as it is more comfortable than Nomex and wicks moisture better. By the SCCA rules, if you have an SFI....-5 suit, you are not REQUIRED to wear the fireproof underwear, but to each their own. There are two-layer versions of the SFI -5 suits besides three-layer types.
    I hope this helps.
    Keith
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

So the rule is ...

SFI of 3.2/5 ...

no matter the material?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Did I miss something? Did the GCR change regarding shoes? The last time I checked the only requirement was that they have leather (or Nomex/fire-resistant) uppers. My old leather-topped gym shoes were legal, as were my Topsiders, but I'll admit that I haven't read the GCR on shoes for about 2 years.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Liked: 145

Leather shoes are still legal...I think. However, Topsiders leave your ankle and top of foot with only sock coverage. To each his own, but I'd rather be a little more covered.

I remember when Harvey Templeton (former Vee and FF driver) used to wear leather ballet slippers = said he had more foot control and feedback from his pedals...For anyone that knew Harvey - I wouldn't agrue with his reasoning! One of the wisest racers I ever knew. RIP.

Thread Information