Liked: 3855

I got this email recently. Thought it would be a good discussion topic. Steve Davis is quite an accomplished racer and I respect his input even though he did leave FC to go terrorize FV a few years back [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 5:34 PM
    Subject: ATTN: Competition Board

Comp Board members,

It has come to my attention that there is now fuel available that meets the SCCA fuel testing specs and also provides a significant horsepower advantage - if you can afford it. This fuel costs over $20 per gallon(last year's price - probably a LOT more now). Although the original "intent" of the new fuel rules was to eliminate the carcinogenic potential of the various fuels that were being used, a greater byproduct to the club racer (IMHO) was to NOT have to spend huge $$$ to merely compete.

I have personally had this new fuel tested to verify that it passes SCCA fuel tests, and have also verified a nearly 5% increase in HP over the full RPM range of a formula vee motor. I am a POOR man and race a (VERY) old car (just ask David Hobbs [img]smile.gif[/img] ), and I would prefer to NOT have to spend incredible sums of money on special race fuel to stay in the hunt.

PROPOSAL - (not my idea, but I support it fully) - I propose that SCCA *MANDATE* the use of TRACK FUEL for the Runoffs only. In the current Mid Ohio case, this would mean Sunoco, I believe - the current "official fuel of the SCCA" -not a bad bullet to have to bite for the club, I would think.
    It could also be a major promotional issue for Sunoco if they would decide to donate, say 10 gallons of fuel to each competitor (even 5?) to show their support.

It we were to REQUIRE use of the track fuel at the Runoffs, I believe that it would elminate, or at least reduce the use of exotic fuels at regular National events. This would require a minimum of effort on the National staff, would not increase the existing load on any racing region and would| relieve much $$$ pressure on poor struggling national racers such asmyself. It could easily be implemented and tested at the runoffs and there is adequate time to inform the membership.

Please consider this proposal seriously for implementation THIS year. This should reduce the cost of racing for everyone - a desirable result of any new rules.

Thanks,
    Stevan A. Davis
    56649-00
    Member since 1975

Liked: 11

So what kind of fuel is this?
    (I need all the help I can get!)
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 307

That's exactly the problem. One man's "it costs too much", is another's - "but it's only a few percent of my tire bill".

Last time we used the latest rocket fuel was at the 2000 Runoffs. That week, we towed $800 worth of fuel across the country, didn't see any measurable power gains, made my nose itch, and stunk up the trailer for the next three months, and dropped out of the race after 7 laps due to carb icing.

It flat out wasn't worth it.

That said, if the engine builder recommends that I use a specific fuel, and I can get it, I will probably use it at the Runoffs.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Liked: 562

Stevan's agument sounds good. I wonder how many (or if there are any) Runoff racers who have relationships with fuel companies. Maybe no one ...
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 637

.....ok guys....since you can't legislate morality why not this idea.....the registration fee goes up about $120 [or whatever] - BUT - a voucher is dispensed at registration to the entrant for 25 [or whatever]gallons of "free" fuel from the track provider - if you've prepaid the cost of fuel for the event who would bring their own "illegal" fuel ? i can already see ways to cheat this one too - so again - you can't legislate morality - but someone always seems willing to try.

Thread Information