Liked: 27

Default looking at a Swift 008

I am going to look at a Swift 008 to buy and am wondering if there are any problem spots that I should take a close look at ? Like, weak spots on the tub? Thanks.
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Liked: 444

If it is the 008 in FLA, Contact David Del Sol. He was the previous owner.

Any chance you have contact info?

Liked: 1415

The 08 is not the best FA you could get. You would be much happier with a RT40 or RT41.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 272

Default 008

I have a set of 008 bodywork, tunnels and a tub (no nose or wings) from a conversion to an 014 - if you go that route.

Liked: 444

PM sent.

Steve, I was under the impression I would not fit in a Ralt. I just barely fit in the Citation. 6'1 @210. I should raise the rollbar ! Besides, I like American made cars.

Liked: 2

Oh I love the best FA debate.

Take a look at Jimmy Simpson beating up on everyone in his 008 finishes 1-2 at COTA Major AND 2-2 at Sebring Major.

Buy what you can afford, prep the hell out of it so it finishes every race and learn how to drive it

14-16-40-41 , whatever must hurt getting beat by a new guy in an "old" 008 .

All I can say is I wish I could drive like him.

Oh PM if you have 008 concerns I can help you.

nice job Jimmy !

Ed
    "The visibility at the best of times is liable to be a bit hazy due to clouds of ignorance"... Carroll Smith

Liked: 126

There was a formal technical report put out by I forget who - someone in Cali - that analyzed the differences between the Swift 008 and 014. They took all kinds of measurements, including rigidity, etc. If I recall correctly, the 008 was significantly less rigid than the 014, and what they found was that the primary reason for the lower rigidity level was the method of connection between the engine bay and the tub. It had to do with the lateral orientation of the connection bolts at the tub... the 014 has longitudinal screws.

So I think it is entirely possible to reasonably increase the rigidity with a few changes. And as always, the nut behind the wheel is probably the primary causes of variation.

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    The 08 is not the best FA you could get. You would be much happier with a RT40 or RT41.
    I totally agree with Steve. Regarding torsional stiffness, the RT-41 is stiffer than an RT-40 by a magnitude of 3 (at least according to Ralt.)
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Very correct and well said. The reality is computer models don't drive race cars. The bench racers like that kind of data. Some guys seem to ignore that data and just drive it as it came.
    "The visibility at the best of times is liable to be a bit hazy due to clouds of ignorance"... Carroll Smith

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 272

Default 008

I thought all the Pro 008s had to get some stiffening mod done at the time in the cockpit area - the 014 had it as standard. I seem to recall that the switched on teams had already stiffened the tubs before the mod.............................

Hmmmm. food for thought. I think I know where there is or was a 41 for sale with a tired motor. Maybe I should go try it on. I don't know what the parts availability is for the 41 but I do know there are lots of parts available for the 008. I also seem to remember the 008 dominating or at least winning the Pro series after it was released , or am I wrong?

Good point. I was told the car I am looking at is a later version that has the upgraded tub . Is there any way to visually identify that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Chevy View Post
    Steve, I was under the impression I would not fit in a Ralt. I just barely fit in the Citation. 6'1 @210. I should raise the rollbar ! Besides, I like American made cars.
    Can't argue with that.

I have been an engineer with both cars. I based my observation on what I experienced with my drivers and those cars.

The RT40 is a little more generous inside. But I fit in both cars and I was 6'2" and 220#.

Hmmmm. food for thought. I think I know where there is or was a 41 for sale with a tired motor. Maybe I should go try it on. I don't know what the parts availability is for the 41 but I do know there are lots of parts available for the 008. I also seem to remember the 008 dominating or at least winning the Pro series after it was released , or am I wrong?

The 008 won after the RT41 was legislated to be uncompetitive. The 014 was a way better car. The 014 is the Swift to have.

Oh ! You mean it was like a spec class ? ? Didn't know that.
    014's sell for big money. I have a little money not big money.

later 008 tubs had this done as the tubs were built, early ones were retrofitted.

This was basically a beefed up area forward of the cockpit entry on the side of the tub and looked like an external plate. I have not seen a 008 that did not have this.

The 14 may have better aero/tunnels and a stiffer hind end but your in the same boat with motor rebuilds. The extra 30-40 grand buys a lot of tires entry fees and motor rebuilds. The next argument is the gear box is better on the 14 and while it may be on paper in reality my NST has never let me down. Just don't abuse it like a teenager with daddy paying the bills.

I have the last 008 tub according to Swift so feel free to email me some pics of your prospect and I will take a look.

I do agree a 14 is a better car "overall" and would "upgrade" without hesitation if it had a non 4age FA legal power plant. I think it was Swan who once told me, same driver equally prepped car its one second thats all.

Buy what you like no regrets as they say.

This horse has been well beaten before, good luck looking.

'

my last rant ..what do you think the development cost difference is between Grants 014 and Simpson's 008 ?

If your thinking somewhere about 4xs more for Grants 014 (or way more) your in the ballpark no offense to either driver you spend what you can and what you want.

I guess my point is you can make a 008 go fast if you can drive and if you cant you won't be any better in a 14 but this is common sense right...

Thanks for all the insight. I think I have a better understanding of the car now. I leave in the am and will post what I find when I return. Might even make a side trip to Daytona to take in some of the sights ! Later, Pops

Liked: 1

Thanks for all the insight. I think I have a better understanding of the car now. I leave in the am and will post what I find when I return. Might even make a side trip to Daytona to take in some of the sights ! Later, Pops
    Pops,

You should be able to fit in an RT-40. Parts availability is not too bad, and there are several shops that can fabricate things like suspension components. Algie Composites can make most of the bodywork and wings, and also do tub repairs if needed.

The 008 tub "stiffeners" were a safety item added to provide increased intrusion protection for the driver. As far as I know they did not appreciably improve the torsional rigidity of the car. I would personally not want to own a 008 that did not have this modification.

The only reason that the 008 ever won a Pro race is that the Series rules were changed to make the Ralts uncompetitive. All other things being equal, the Ralt is faster than a 008. However, the 008 is a lot of car for the money at current prices.

I found a really clean, well taken care of 008 and just had to bring it home ! The car is apart so I was able to look the tub over really well and could find no signs of damage. And yes it has the stiffener plates. It was in my price range so I was able to pay cash and have a few bucks left over to put an engine together. The log book starts in 2002 , so I'm assuming it was a pro car. Any way to verify or trace history? After that there are only 23 entries, doesn't seem like a lot to me. One of them is from the runoff's in 2011. The first entry I can't make out the name, the first name starts with a J and the second name starts with an O looks like a z next letter . Ring any bells ? Looks like it was mostly campaigned in Florida. One more question, do any of you guys build your own engines ?? Thanks, Pops

Congrats! Until you verify otherwise, you should assume that every part on the car is completely worn out and in need of overhaul/replacement (I speak from experience here). Take the car completely apart and check everything. Fuel tank, steering rack, master cylinders, clutch, slave cylinders, brake calipers, rocker bearings, rod ends, radiator, oil cooler, fire bottle, harness, etc........everything! And I do mean literally everything.

Then do yourself a real favor and send the engine out to Loynings, Elite, etc. It is of course possible to build the engines yourself, but if you get it wrong you will not like the results. There are much smarter ways to save money with an Atlantic. Spending $7K with Loyning/Eite to get started with a known good engine is money well spent.
    Last edited by Rick Ross; 03.16.13 at 10:35 PM.

The engine was blown up. Pushed a rod out through the side. The car came with a good block, but it needs the rotating assy. and I'm going to pull the pump apart tomorrow to see how much trash went through it. The head looks good , but I will have it checked over. I agree with you about going through the car completely, but can't see where these engines are so delicate/complex that I couldn't build one. I been racing for 35yrs and have always built my own and done well with them. My NASCAR short track engine would run all day at 8000 rpm and run up front. Please enlighten me. Bad part is I never built one of these.

Well, it is definitely possible to build your own engine. I've never done it, so I will leave it to others to provide the requested enlightenment. I hope you enjoy your new car.

Liked: 0

You could always have it built once by a reputable builder then do the rebuilds yourself once the engine is "up to date." Steve Knapp of Elite engines builds a fantastic Toyota, I couldn't be happier with mine.

Liked: 7

For what it's worth the side panels added to the chassis were not made for stiffing the chassis. They were added for ovals after Milwaukee 1999 to keep the one piece BBS wheels (which would get stuck between the wall and chassis) from coming into the drive's compartment.

This was Bordin's car at Milwaukee.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Can you say

"Hematoma"?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

Glenn, I bet that left a mark!!!!!

Thank you for posting these pics, Swede........now I remember why I have no desire to race at Charlotte or Daytona.

Liked: 57

Default swift

We have a large parts inventory for swift cars if there is any thing you would need for your 008 please feel free to contact me. Im also located in Pa.

Kris Kaiser
    K-Hill motorsports
    khillracing@comcast.net
    717-234-2758

Thread Information