Thread: What motor oil

Classifieds Super License Skelly's Avatar
    Liked: 82

Default What motor oil

WHat motor oil is most of the people out there using? I hope to start my car in a few weeks.

Thanks
    Sean

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Sean, I recently spoke with the folks at HPD regarding this topic. They suggested 0W-20 Mobil 1 synthetic that is marketed for street cars. They told me the design of the engine does not require "race-oriented" oils containing elevated anti-wear additives.

I opted for the Red Line 10W-30 High Performance Motor Oil, not their Racing Oil. I'd rather have the detergents and acid neutralizers in the street oil over the anti-wear additives in the race oil.

Here's Honda's contact info:

[SIZE=2]Honda Racing Line
    grmsadmin@hra.com
    Phone: 661-702-7777
    Fax: 661-294-7310 [/SIZE]

Liked: 72

i suppose the question should be asked...new crate engine or engine with miles...might make a difference....

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

I'm using 5w20 Mobil 1 Racing Oil.

Ray

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by cliff View Post
    i suppose the question should be asked...new crate engine or engine with miles...might make a difference....
    It used to, but not so much any more. Many high performance automobiles now leave the factory with synthetic oil as 'first fill.'

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by cliff View Post
    I used good break in oil for the first test days/weekend. Not sure it mattered, but it was the recco i got.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Classifieds Super License Skelly's Avatar
    Liked: 82

Default What oil

Thanks guys for all the info. Will get oil next week. Will also update with pics of the final outcome of the install. It came out better then I thought it would..

Sean

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

I use the oil that comes in the crate engine for initial running and my first track day. What could be better than what Honda put in it? I run Joe Gibbs blue thereafter.
    Last edited by problemchild; 04.30.13 at 8:05 AM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 2

My new Plug In Prius came with 0-20 synthetic that is still very clean at 5K miles. Will change it this weekend with Mobil 1, 0-20 synthetic. You may think this engine is not a good test, but it is contantly starting and stopping and when it works, it works hard. Tight machining tolerances and correct materials make breaking in much less traumatic for modern engines.
    Higher grade oils sap power and are unnecessary if you keep the oil below ~230F.

Liked: 605

Valvoline part number VV854 10/30 weight or VV853 5/30 weight - synthetic with all that good old stuff [zinc/moly] that was put in real oil decades ago - go to NAPA and ask them to order it - it does not go out on the store shelves so you'll never see it there - better than the Mobil 1 stuff that 's visible to the public on the shelf of the store - technically not legal to sell for use in a street car

Thread Information