Liked: 0

Just posted on FFU...DateLine Kershaw SC........ new testing port-car burns in paddock resulting in car out for weekend!Not specific as to how much DMG , OR Circumstances!
    butchcfc01

Liked: 104

Makes me nervous! Just got catalog from North American Race Parts advertising in-line quick disconect fitting that is SCCA approved. Hate to think what would happen if it "quick-disconects" itself at the wrong time. This is another risk to the car and driver that is just not justified!

John,

Actually, the quick disconnects that they are selling are a good idea. When you disconnect these fittings, they automatically seal, thus preventing spillage. You need an additional fitting to then plug in and get your sample. This is an expensive alternative, but possibly safer than what people are using.

TDR

p.s. and no, I don't work for North American Race Parts...
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Liked: 104

Tim,
    Good point! I forgot that BOTH ends of the quick disconect sealed. I had visions of it coming apart and spewing fuel everywhere.
    DUH!

Good day!

Just back from Homestead Rolex Cup events Thur - Sat.

Interesting things can be seen in these paddocks!

But for this thread, I thought I would mention the method by which the Gran Am Techs gather fuel samples.

Simple. The walk up to the car with a device that has a long stainless tube connected by hose to a very small manual pumping mechanism. They manually force (push) the fuel port open, stick the "dip tube" into the fuel cell and draw out enough fuel to fill a small cup, probably several oz's. The put a cap on the cup, place it in their tray w/car # on it an walk away to the next car.

Now that makes sense to me!!

Peace

GR
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

yeah but remember, this is SCCA and the driver/owners have to put out the money for any new rules the comp board dreams up whether or not they make sense

Liked: 3787

How do they "nuetralize" the stick tube between samples?

Unless they have a way to clean it between each sample, one could get blamed for traces of another's fuel...

Frog.

I did not see them do anything special. Interesting question though. I'm guessing that very small minute (sp) traces in a several oz fuel sample would not be of concern. However, a sample loaded with "special ingredients" may.

This could be a question for their tech people. Let me see what I can develop.

Peace

GR
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

While we are on the subject. . . I just received an entry form today for an upcoming race weekend, and under the Supps, there is the following:

"Tech may test fuel. There will be a $5 fee for voluntary fuel testing."

Gotta love it.

Also, I noticed that there is not a place to enter your transponder number. . .

TDR
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

I sent an e-mail through the Grand-Am site today to ask Frog's question. I'll post their response if I see/get one.

Friday was a sad track day at Homestead if you didn't know. Below is the Grand-Am site "tribute" to Jeff Clinton. As corner workers we were honored to be allowed to participate.

http://www.grand-am.com/news2.cfm?id=47

Peace

GR
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

Liked: 1

I am going the Aeroquip drybreak route pluming it between the cell and pump. We pressurize the cell by blowing in the vent line to get sample. I see the advantages as:

Simpler than double dry-break as sold elsewhere

Not on pressure side of pump

Helps avoid Rules interpreting Tech inspectors by going with the GCR recommended set up

Just one of many ways to skin this cat. I think the whole idea stinks and is unsafe for a formula car but what are we to do?
    Barry Haynie
    FC #9 WDCR

Have not yet seen/received a response from Grand-Am regarding their method of fuel sampling and potential for false readings.

Any info as to what type of sampling port was in place in the "Incident @ Kershaw"?? (Wasn't that a movie??) [img]smile.gif[/img]

I just tried to go to the FFU site (pls forgive me) to see the original post and any others, but could not "link up".

Peace
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

Liked: 5

North American Race Parts. Can someone give me their number. I can't find the paper from them. Thanks

Still no response from Grand-Am. I won't post anymore on this unless I see something.

Peace

GR
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

North American Race Parts, raceparts1@aol.com, 317-244-9694

Liked: 5

Thanks David

Thread Information