Thread: Rain Race Rule

Liked: 0

Please help me understand this ... if a race steward declares a race a "rain race" before it's started (you're still on grid or in the paddock), are you required to start the race on rains? At one event, those without rains were not allowed out on the pace lap or to run the race, at another it didn't matter. Didn't see anything in the GCRs and don't want to get hosed again.

------------------
    Brian
    '96 Van Diemen
    Brian
    Ex '96 Van Diemen Owner

Liked: 3319

My understanding of the rain or dry race designation is that if it was a "dry" race, if it rained and caused problems, the stewards could stop the race to allow rain tires to be put on; if it was designated a "rain" race you could start on whatever you wanted, but your rain light had to be on and the race would run to its conclusion without any stoppage for the purpose of changing tires.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member
    Liked: 100

declaring a race a "rain" race does not mean you must run rains. what it does mean is that if you go out on drys and conditions get even worse, the officials will not stop the race and give competitors a chance to change tires. conversly, if the race is not declared a rain race and conditions worsen, the officials will probably stop the race to allow a change. md

Liked: 0

That's the info I was looking for. Thanks!

------------------
    Brian
    '96 Van Diemen
    Brian
    Ex '96 Van Diemen Owner

Liked: 24

One exception may be if you are at Limerock and perhaps other tracks where the determination is made by the local police department. In that case, the type of tires is legally mandated and you may not enter the track without their mandated tires.

Contributing Member

rick, say what?

Mark,

At Limerock, and in the state of Connecticut, racing is controlled by the motor vehicle administration and directly implemented by the local police epartment. If the police determine it is a wet condition, then they can mandate rain tires. The stewards may announce that it is a rain race and you will not be allowed to enter the racing surface except on rain tires.

I have been forced to run there before in quite drying conditions on full wets with the inevitable destruction of ones tires. I guess they would allow intermediates now that we have them.

Liked: 3787

So.... lesson to be learned.

When going to Lime Rock, take a tire grooving tool.

The size requirements of my new trailer keeps growing.

Contributing Member

so rick, are you telling me that the police have a guy at the track monitoring weather and track conditions? i guess i believe you but this sounds like a big put-on. by the way, did you have a good laugh at my expense when i tried that stupid pass on you at mid ohio? md

Mark, they actually have a policeman at the track monitoring weather and track conditions, it is not a put on.

That was an awfully optimistic attempted pass. I do appreciate that we did not have contact. I am sure that you were not to thrilled to have been caught up in that turn 1 disaster. I watched you and I think Mike A. get taken out as innocent bystanders. I was luckily running down low and did not get caught in it. I will probably see you at Cen Div Nelson national. -Rick

Thread Information