Liked: 0

Default Stacker or lift?

We recently purchased a vintage FV for my wife to drive. I drive a D/P Triumph GT6.

Currently we have a 16' enclosed trailer for the GT6 which we tow with a large diesel motorhome. The Vee came with an open trailer, but we would prefer to just take the motorhome to the track, not drive two separate vehicles. I'm looking at bigger trailers, and it looks like a 24' enclosed would do the trick if it had a lift for the Vee. You can get Haulmarks, etc with an extra 12" height. We don't really need an all out heavy duty lift like a Stinger, etc. as the vee only weighs 845#.

Any suggestions on how to do a simple lift for the vee? A full blown "stacker" trailer is way overkill (I think).

Ed

Default stacker or lift

Friend has a clean, low mileage, enclosed for sale. Has a lift installed, We carried two V's or F500's with all the gear. Pm me and I'll send contact info.

Liked: 212

check out the unit i have for sale.. would be perfect for you. i have towed this trailer with an RV and my pick up. pulls very nicely behind both

http://apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47710
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

Liked: 492

I have had several versions. If you want to discuss it give me a call or email.
    Roland Johnson 619-977-1780
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

I'm hoping to find something within 500 miles or so of San Diego... In CA, we're limited to 65' total length, so that means a 24' trailer. I've seen a few Haulmark type units with 12" extra height. That could work considering the Vee & GT6 are pretty low.

Liked: 48

Default Stacker

Why can't you fit both cars nose to tail into a 24' trailer? I'm guessing a vintage FV without the front nose and the gt6 are around 22-23' in total length. Save yourself a headache and oil stains on the gt6 from an oil leaking vee.

Ian
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Physically, both cars would fit in a 24'. The Vee is 11' and the GT6 is 13'... I like to keep a few inches between them and whatever else is in the trailer. We also carry extra wheels/tires, compressor, tool chest, hyd jack, scooter, fuel containers. We're really limited to 65' total length, and our motorhome is 37'. 24' of trailer, plus 4' of trailer tongue and we're right at the limit.

Liked: 309

Many if not most 24' trailers have cupboards filling the front 2' of their floor space, so you will have to get a pretty bottom-of-the-line trailer to actually have 24' of floor space (and that's presuming a trailer is measuring that floor space internally, and not externally).

Face it...between two cars, spares, tires, tools, pit cart and assorted other gear, you need a stacker. Suck it up and find a decent used one if a new one is a stretch.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member charleswdaniels63's Avatar
    Liked: 20

Default Alternative to stacker or lift trailer

I have 2 FF's and a Vee--and also have racing buddies I often travel out of state with, and I have been reading various Apex posts discussing options I might consider for towing 2 cars in the same trailer. Because I didn't want to spend a lot of money on the trailer or have to buy a beefier tow vehicle to pull a lot of weight, I ultimately decided to do what my friend Denney had done (and that I had not seen on any Apex posts).

I bought a used 20 foot trailer and modified it to carry 2 cars in a very simple and cheap way. My crew chief Steve bought some 2 inch square tubing and cut and welded two "risers" on the sides of the trailer at the front of the trailer wheel wells. He then cut a length of 2x2 inch sq tubing the width of the trailer that was pinned to the two risers. I then purchased a set of ATV loading ramps at Lowes and pinned them to the horizontal bar. The first car goes in backwards before putting the horizontal bar in, the second car goes in nose first with the front wheels on top of the ramps. The front wheels of the second car are just forward of the first car's cockpit.

There is very little weight on the ramps, and the second car's rear wheels sit on the trailer floor. The weight is distributed equally in the trailer because the heavy part of each car is in either end of the trailer. Cheap, stable, lightweight, simple to use, took just a few hours to build, and keeps COG lower than a stacker. We did spring for a winch to attach to the front of the trailer to make it easier to load the cars, especially the one that rolls up the ATV ramps. The attached photos show the simplicity of the system.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

That's a cool idea ! Steeper angle, lay in more cars
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Thread Information