Liked: 0

Default Why don't I see these?

I've just bought a FF and I'm currently shopping for a trailer. The tow vehicle is a V6 Pathfinder with a towing capacity of 6000 lbs. There's no money in the budget for another tow vehicle. The car will be autocrossed exclusively.

My idea is to start with an open trailer and convert it into an enclosed trailer. Many of the open trailers I've looked at have brackets that will fit a 2x4 that I would use to anchor approximately 4' high walls around the trailer, with a liftoff or ramp gate. The roof would be a fitted box tarp so that it's waterproof for overnight parking or inclement weather at an event. The car and trailer will typically be stored in a pole barn, so there's no concern if it's not 100% weatherproof.

It seems like a good compromise to me--I'll have a fully loaded rig that weighs about 3500 lbs (2000 lb trailer, 1000 lb car, 500 lb "stuff") and the frontal area will only be about 30 square feet, so I think the Pathfinder should tow it fine. Plus, I think I could get the whole rig built for about half the price of a comparable "full height" enclosed trailer.

So what am I missing here? Why don't I see these around? I've never owned a trailer before and all of my previous autocross experience only required putting gear in the trunk and driving off, so I'm assuming it's my inexperience causing me to miss something. Any ideas, advice, etc. are greatly appreciated.

Final random thought--I'm leaning towards a trailer with wood decking for the floor, does that cause any tie down issues or is it okay to anchor to a wood deck if I use a backing plate or something?

Liked: 309

Default Custom Enclosed...

Kevin,

Check out Barry Ott's home built enclosed trailer for his previous 88 Reynard FF1600 : http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...5&postcount=58

I really like this concept/design. As I do not currently have the skills to build such a trailer (I really need to learn how to weld!), I would think that E&J could, without much trouble, make some very similar.

Take care,
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

seems reasonable to me. I'd insert some "bows" to keep the tarp from filling with water in a heavy rain or a slight 'v' top. Make sure your wood deck is very secure. You may start a trend !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 553

Sounds feasible.

I wonder if your side posts could be aluminum rather than wood.

I can imagine the fitted box tarp might get a bit ripped up after a few trips.

A wood deck is fine, but you'll want your tie-downs to be attached to the metal frame.

I'd opt for a tandem axle so a problem with one tire isn't as big of a deal.

Liked: 3787

Nothing wrong with an open trailer. Did it my self for a few years.

If you mount "D" rings on the deck, try to have backing plates underneath or get the bolts to go through metal cross members. If you anchor to the deck it is good to have the boards through-bolted to the cross members where the race car wheels will be.

Biggest issue with open trailers is towing in the rain and splashing the car with road grime. Putting up a vertical shield at the front of the trailer helps a lot.... and having a solid floor instead of just two runners.

I towed all over the SE with a Nissan Quest van, way back when. Set the car on the trailer properly to control tongue weight. If the trailer has brakes put a controller in the tow vehicle. Do not tow with the tarp on top, it will beat the hell out of your car.

You will get a lot more attention on the road, than those of us that look like we may be just hauling furniture in our enclosed trailers.

Liked: 10

Welcome to formula car autocrossing!

I've towed my CM 85 VD for probably 110,000 miles on an open trailer. Initially with an 88 Mustang 5.0 and then with an 88 class B camper van. Our approach is to cover the car with a fancy blue tarp. Fancy because I've added some "bungee" cords in key places to facilitate quick securement during overnight stops and at multi-day events. Note that our trailer weighs about 1300 lbs empty with the two steel boxes and the current Rhinoliner coating. The deck is open between the runners. I'm currently considering the car cover advertised by Bill Stevens in another thread. Pics attached.

Dick
    CM 85

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Forget towing with a tarp cover, they can't take the constant wind.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 10

Here is one option:

http://serpentexpress.com/description.html

Look at the retro kit section on the order page.

http://serpentexpress.com/order.html

Dick

Liked: 9

You might contact Scott Minehart who now owns the Brunton Stalker auto business. His father built a very nice sq tubing frame and sheet metal top for his open trailer. It has a low profile and its hinged at the front so they can lift it up to gain access to their car. He might have some photos of the trailer.

http://www.bruntonauto.com/

First off, thanks for the feedback everyone.

After re-reading my first post, I left out an important detail. My wife and I just bought a daycare and will be going on $2000+ grocery runs to Sam's about once a month. The previous owners made the (1 hr each way) trip in a pickup about every three weeks. The trailer will buy me a few weekends off over the course of the year. For this reason, an unmodified flatbed is out--the lighter items would blow away. There's other solutions, like large totes, but I like this idea better if feasible.

Pru, I've seen the clamshell types before, but most of the ones I have seen have a nasty headknocker at the back end. With the number of trips in and out of the trailer on the grocery runs, I'd get a concussion faster than I could wear out a set of Hoosiers. Plus, I think they're almost as expensive as a similarly sized enclosed trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Do not tow with the tarp on top, it will beat the hell out of your car.
    Quote Originally Posted by formulasuper View Post
    Forget towing with a tarp cover, they can't take the constant wind.
    You guys have me worried. I'm hoping that you were thinking of a typical tarp and not one of the box tarps like these: http://www.harpstarps.com/boxtarpform.htm
    I'm not sure how this would beat up my car, especially if I make the walls a few inches taller than necessary or add some support ribs. Am I missing something or was I just not clear enough in my first post? Formulasuper, the company in the link is one of the ones I'm considering buying from and they seem to market to semi trailers--what part do you anticipate will fail?

Liked: 3787

I'm pretty sure Scott and I were talking about towing the car with it wrapped in a tarp or car cover. If you can suspend it tightly overhead, you should be alright.

Sounds good, thanks for the follow-up PF. Scott PM'd me as well. Even if the tarp wears out after a couple years, it's only $200.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Check out 'towable' boat covers, about $100.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 956

Default Bonewagon and trailer

I think this was orginally owned by Jim Woodrige and then sold with the Z10 to the person who started this thread.

The hard canopy lift solves the issue of headbangers.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...ight=bonewagon

I think your idea with the top bows and tarp is a great idea. A company that makes custom boat covers can set you up.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

A setup like that was actually my first idea, but that's a good winter project. I think I'll start with the tarp this year and I can upgrade to that later.

Thread Information