Liked: 0

Default Video of How NOT to start a race...

I just wanted to share this video for anyone who has ever hurried off to the false grid a little "under-prepared"... I hope you all enjoy. Please feel free to share with anyone you think might enjoy this. Also feel free to "like" my page and enjoy the other videos as well!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....ideo_processed

If the link doesn't work visit my page at www.irace4food.com

Seriously, give it a try...

Mike

Seriously, someone who sells pre-race checklists should use this as an example of what not to do!!!

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

And never did see the gloves. You don't suppose . . . .

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1907

Your wheel fell off because Lou the torque maniac wore your torque wrench out !
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 1432

Lou is a lug nut torquing machine! Double check? Nah, he roles with the quadruple check! You should put a torque wrench on a nice chain so he can wear it around his neck like Flavor Flav.
    Last edited by reidhazelton; 02.08.13 at 11:42 AM.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1907

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    Lou is a lug nut torquing machine! Double check? Nah, he roles with the quadruple check! You should put a torque wrench on a nice chair so he can wear it around his neck like Flavor Flav.
    Yes,....a chair around his neck will remind him to torque the wheels at least twice before every session.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    Lou is a lug nut torquing machine! Double check? Nah, he roles with the quadruple check! You should put a torque wrench on a nice chair so he can wear it around his neck like Flavor Flav.

Yeah? so where was Lou half an hour earlier?

H! I hadn't noticed the lack of gloves before... (-;

Being the respectable, though demonstrably not responsible, driver that I am, I can't fault Lou. He is the bomb for being there at all! I have nothing but gratitude for him!

I like the chain with a torque wrench idea! Someone must sell one of those!

Mike

Contributing Member
    Liked: 53

Default Thanks Mike

You made my day as I sit here in the blizzard. I thought I was the only one to make dumb mistakes. And you are correct. Lou is a great guy!!!!
    Tom Galuardi

Liked: 1432

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    Yes,....a chair around his neck will remind him to torque the wheels at least twice before every session.
    That's what I get for posting from my phone.

Liked: 1

Default how not to........

this what you get when your crew chief is a refugee from OCC.......
    Lou aka Paul senior..........LOL

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

Torquing wheels is like comedy ..... timing is everything
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

There are worse wheels to lose than the LR. Don't ask me how I know! The one that really counts doesn't have lug nuts on it.

Liked: 14

Funny story to tell. Year was 1981 and I had a Caldwell D-13 all white. I am 19 years old racing at Morroso (Then called Palm Beach) and I am waiting at the false grid and my dad shows up (Snow Wilson) with a bunch of tools strapped to his belt. Me being a teenager was embarrassed to the T. I treied to sink as low as I could. First lap on my practice session clutch is slipping badly. I pull into the pits and tell my dad the clutch needs adjusting;he then pulls out the needed wrench off his belt and adjusts the clutch. I pull out and complete my session. The next practice sessionI must have counted 5 or 6 more guys with tool belt strapped to them. By the way my dad was retired from the army after 25 years.

Contributing Member

loved this. thanx so much for posting. go lou!

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Good thing you left plenty early for the grid

"Good thing you left plenty early for the grid "

REALLY good thing! Of course, maybe if I spent more time getting ready...

"Torquing wheels is like comedy ..... timing is everything "

There are other thing where timing is everything, but this is a family forum, so I'll keep it clean...

"this what you get when your crew chief is a refugee from OCC.......
    Lou aka Paul senior..........LOL"

Lou does look a bit like Senior, doesn't he... Thankfully Lou has a much calmer temper...

"There are worse wheels to lose than the LR. Don't ask me how I know! The one that really counts doesn't have lug nuts on it."

Too bad you don't have video of that!

"my dad shows up (Snow Wilson) with a bunch of tools strapped to his belt."

A "pit-tool" belt... Hmm...

Liked: 310

In the mid-seventies, I was working corner 1 at Pueblo. The first car out for the first practice session of the day was a Fomrula Vee. About hald way between pit out and corner1 all four wheels depart the car. It was still pretty cold that morning and he was going slowly to warm up the oil, so the damage was minimal. He told us that he wished he could blame the crew, but he was by himself that weekend.

Liked: 79

That was great, I think that we have all been there at some point. I just wish that my DSL connection was faster so that I could watch it without pauses.

That was awesome. And it highlights the reason why one should always leave the tent for pre-grid a full 12 hours before race time. Can never get there too early. You also get to know the pre-grid crew really well.

I see that I'm not the only one who thinks that "Lou" looks a bit like Paul Teutel, Sr. from Orange County Choppers. I know it can't be the same person, though, because Lou works much harder and faster.

Jeff
    San Francisco Region, SCCA
    DSR #55

Liked: 82

Default I probably shouldn't laugh

But I just can't help it.

That makes the crappy day I've had much better.

Meg

Well...
    After all my blood, sweat, tears and embarassment...
    I'm glad everyone is enjoying this... (-:

mike

Liked: 757

Ok, i'll be exception to the rule! I don't find this particatly funny! That errant wheel could have broken someones leg, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that car on track.

Liked: 36

Quote Originally Posted by SEComposites View Post
    Ok, i'll be exception to the rule! I don't find this particatly funny! That errant wheel could have broken someones leg, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that car on track.
    Must be boring to be Perfect!!

Contributing Member flat tappet's Avatar

I know the driver,Mike.....I know his crew helper,Lou. Sometimes **** happens...in the pits and on the track. Both the driver and crew are folks who care about "getting it right" at both places. I think Mike was just trying to show that inspite of racers best intentions.....sometimes the results are not what we want.......or expect!!
    Last edited by flat tappet; 02.16.13 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flat tappet View Post
    I know the drive,Mike.....I know his crew helper,Lou. Sometimes **** happens...in the pits and on the track. Both the driver and crew are folks who care about "getting it right" at both places. I think Mike was just trying to show that inspite of racers best intentions.....sometimes the results are now what we want.......or expect!!
    I'm sure that's true, it's just not that funny to me. As for being perfect, I have no idea what that's supposed to mean!

Liked: 36

I'm sure that's true, it's just not that funny to me. As for being perfect, I have no idea what that's supposed to mean!
    It means we all make mistakes,it obviously is not meant to be "funny" just showing we all make mistakes small or big.

Please, Please, Please don't take this video as a condoning of such behavior! Kids, please don't try this at home...
    I fully accept that I am completely, well, at least 99% human. (A few, very select individuals know that I have a feature that I like to say means I am part elf... Or Vulcan...) I would never do something like this intentionally. I am generally very serious and motivated at the track. Because I make mistakes, and sometimes post them, does not mean that I will not learn from them. Heck, sharing this might help someone else remember to check there lug nuts! Some have already confessed to it, but I am sure that all of us have forgotten to check off something on their physical or mental pre-race checklist, at there work, at the grocery store or while cooking a meal, or something their significant other asked them to do... (-;
    I strive to be better than human, but always stumble somewhere...

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

It's why pilots have check lists & God made erasers All it takes is fir a well meaning passerby to interrupt your pre-race routine & ..... Oops !!! It's all good until someone gets hurt, then, its hilarious Thx for the humorous reminder !!!
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

My driver school; three laps into a session and I got a bad miss, luckily I was coming up on pit in........found out that the car runs much better with fuel in it. My "Crew Chief " son forgot to fuel me up.

Quote Originally Posted by racerdad2 View Post
    It's why pilots have check lists & God made erasers All it takes is fir a well meaning passerby to interrupt your pre-race routine & ..... Oops !!! It's all good until someone gets hurt, then, its hilarious Thx for the humorous reminder !!!
    I'm not sure that's what you wanted to say!

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

If we're going to be serious... Obviously, I never want to see anyone injured or, for that matter have a serious off... The fact is, no matter how well prepared we are to race, something totally unexpected can & will go wrong... Thankfully, serious injuries are rare
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Banned

It could have been worse it could have happened on lap 2 as you increase the speed
    however this mistake will only happen once!!
    My FFord i fit wheels in garage inflate to wet weather settings i torque wheels load into trailer as it has treaded tyres its "good" to go
    Then car is unloaded tyre pressure set for dry running wheels are checked again with torque wrench. THEN car goes off to scrutineering
    car is good to qualify
    on warm up of motor for race wheels re checked its simple process
    My centre lock wheel nut car is transported on wets and nuts are nipped as 9 times out of ten they are taken off immediately car is out of trailer and slicks fitted and torqued up and pressures dropped on engine warm up.

Either do the task yourself or IF you have mechanic just sit back watch him do it and if you haven't watched him do it just casually ask that stupid question " have you done...?"
    Its your ass on the line as driver so if oily rag gets snotty ask him how he would like to either spend next weekend either fixing the car or spoon feeding you at the hospital.

Check list is imperative
    prevention better than cure
    less haste more speed

Thread Information