Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Liked: 9

Default The latest

We were all informed yesterday that the Feb 1 MVP event is now back on.

I hope the flipping and flopping ends on a flip not a flop.
    Dean
    Wolf GB08
    Austin
    www.motorsports-sw.com

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Like ALL race fans I want to run on this track !!! Race, Track Day, Fenders, Open Wheel... Heck, I'd run the track on a Big Wheel Rumors that amateurs won't be allowed to play on this fantastic track just freak me out & cause my heart palpitations to trigger my defibrillator, resulting in outbursts of rage & disappointment... More commonly referred to as Sh@$ Kaniptions... My humblest apologies to the fine folks at COTA, if indeed, the ordinary folk are allowed to come & play
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 228

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    But do they also include $150K event rental fees and possible $700 entry fees?

Brian
    The entry fee for the Jan Double Rational at PBIR is $595. No argument that $700 is a lot of money, but comparatively it seems like a bargain for racing at a $400 million F1 facility.

24 hour tow each way, hassles at track, high entry fee and hotel costs - still worth it after going to the USGP in Nov. I haven't been to every track in the USA, but I've never seem anything close to this track and facility.

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by cory mcleod View Post
    The entry fee for the Jan Double Rational at PBIR is $595. No argument that $700 is a lot of money, but comparatively it seems like a bargain for racing at a $400 million F1 facility.

24 hour tow each way, hassles at track, high entry fee and hotel costs - still worth it after going to the USGP in Nov. I haven't been to every track in the USA, but I've never seem anything close to this track and facility.
    Mapquest says 15 hours from Atlanta.

Jim

Liked: 857

Quote Originally Posted by jim murphy View Post
    Mapquest says 15 hours from Atlanta.

Jim
    *IF* you're FLYING IN A SMALL JET.. Not towing a 28ft trailer behind a relatively slow RV...
    Pretty much the same mileage as Road America from here... count on 20+ hours unless you're towing an open trailer behind a rocket ship.... Pretty sure MQ doesn't consider bathroom or SLEEP or FUEL stops...
    At any rate, *I* wouldn't count on 15 hours....
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 228

My memory was off a little. Just checked Google for the first time since Oct, and it says 18 hours from Charlotte, via I85 to I10. I agree with Steve - throw in stops, towing at 68 mph, and potential Atlanta traffic, and my bet is 20-22 hours.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 291

This is from a BMW Jun COTA 'Event Details' document:

"NOTE NOTE NOTE: damages...this is in the contract we have with COTA, if we get charged for something you do we will charge you. Asphalt damage (anywhere- track, paddock, etc) is $500 PER SQUARE FOOT. Gaurd rails are $25 per foot. Tire barriers are $25/foot. Fencing is $15 per foot. Airfences are $1000 (not a typo- $1000) per square foot. DON"T DAMAGE THE TRACK. Treat this place as if it were your own....we would like to be invited back next year."

How is the SCCA event allocating possible damages?

Brian

Liked: 555

Hmm. I heard we had a similar problem with Barber until the SCCA (region?) realized its insurance covered track damage.

I may be mistaken.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 68

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Hmm. I heard we had a similar problem with Barber until the SCCA (region?) realized its insurance covered track damage.

I may be mistaken.
    You can't really blame the track. They have to meet the standards set by the pro events that really pay the bills; if we do damage that has to be repaired prior to the next pro event, then we either need to pay for it or pay a higher track rental fee that covers the average cost of those repairs. Personally, I would expect that SCCA runs a tighter ship than many other groups, so we're probably better off paying for damages as they occur......
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 555

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Mauney View Post
    You can't really blame the track.
    I wasn't blaming the track. I certainly understand (and expect) a track saying someone has to pay for damage.

My point was, in the early days of SCCA racing at Barber the supps said competitors were responsible for paying for guardrail damage, divots, etc., but in recent years that was dropped from the supps because SCCA's insurance was found to cover those types of incidents.

If I'm remembering that correctly, I wonder why it would be different at CotA.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Just like the previous rumor/messaging, it has no relevance to the SCCA event. Let's wait to see what the SCCA notes are.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default COTA reg open NOW

See my link in FB section, ONLY way I cold get on the site - will NOT show up on regular DLB site for me at least!!!!

Do it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LINK HERE >>>>> http://www.dlbracing.com/Clubs/sowdi...x?EventID=5207

Liked: 68

More than 170 cars already registered........the SM group is full with a waiting list.

Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

But do they also include $150K event rental fees and possible $700 entry fees?

Brian
    Seems like a few people actually are interested in this event based on entrants. Even with the those trying to rain on the parade. So far just shy of $350,000.00 in entrants fees so far. I would say the SCCA should do pretty well with this event.

Not sure Brian if your track rental fee is correct as I have heard much less but really have no idea myself. Regardless so far the numbers look pretty good.
    Steve Bamford

Contributing Member
    Liked: 291

The $150K fee quote comes from Brian McCarthy, Board member.

So where is the paddock for 350 entrants?

Who is responsible for fire and tow? Is this anything like the Glenn?

How much green flag track time do you expect with each group at max entry level?

This is a very expensive Walter Mitty event.

Brian

How much green flag track time do you expect with each group at max entry level?

Brian
    Should be an interesting, fun & memorable event...I don't think it is an event for uptight individuals though.
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 190

Haven't checked today, but there are north of 575 entrants last I looked.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Brian
    I just checked & you are NOT on the entry list so you can sleep tight tonight & not worry about any of these issues. That being said there still is room in the FV run group if you wish to join the fun & have a reason to stress yourself out .

Come join the fun, it will be the place to be in March.
    Last edited by Steve Bamford; 01.26.13 at 11:29 PM.
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 1432

We (the entrants) are going because we want to play on this track, and be the first to do so for SCCA. We are going with the goal of having a great time and being part of a very memorable event. We can have bad memories, or we can have good memories and I think that will lie more with the participants than with the host region. I think we are all going to have to pitch in and play nice if we want this event to be enjoyable. They have never done an event such as ours before, and there will certainly be a learning curve. We will need to help with that, and the first thing we can do is understand that situation and help rather than throw stones. They have held F1, but never the amount of cars we are going to provide. Yes there will be problems and issues we will have to deal with, but that is just the nature of the beast and we will have to help to minimize them. Parking will suck...so don't hog space and get to know your neighbors. The track will be congested, so be courteous.

Be patient, help out where we can, and for the love of god....don't act like a moron and go off in the first lap of practice. The majority are facing very looong tows, and it would be a shame to have to pack up before making it to the first race.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by reidhazelton; 01.26.13 at 11:17 PM.

Liked: 118

Brian
    This freakin' guy just won't give up!

Liked: 25

Default Positives

I think that one can look at the way the FF 40th event came off for positives. We had around 100 cars on RA and the FF community did very well. I'm most concerned with the paddock locations and time to get to grid and gridded. I expect that some patience will be required.
    - Frank Chambers

Liked: 0

Default Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    We (the entrants) are going because we want to play on this track, and be the first to do so for SCCA. We are going with the goal of having a great time and being part of a very memorable event. We can have bad memories, or we can have good memories and I think that will lie more with the participants than with the host region. I think we are all going to have to pitch in and play nice if we want this event to be enjoyable. They have never done an event such as ours before, and there will certainly be a learning curve. We will need to help with that, and the first thing we can do is understand that situation and help rather than throw stones. They have held F1, but never the amount of cars we are going to provide. Yes there will be problems and issues we will have to deal with, but that is just the nature of the beast and we will have to help to minimize them. Parking will suck...so don't hog space and get to know your neighbors. The track will be congested, so be courteous.

Be patient, help out where we can, and for the love of god....don't act like a moron and go off in the first lap of practice. The majority are facing very looong tows, and it would be a shame to have to pack up before making it to the first race.

Just my 2 cents.
    I couldnt have said it better myself. This is the attitude that everyone should have as they drive through the gates race weekend. The one good thing is that if your emotions get the best of you and you run it off into that corner a little hard, the COTA has ample paved runoff so you should be able to whoa it down and head right back on the track. No gopher holes or ditches close to the edge of this track.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Simmons View Post
    I couldnt have said it better myself. This is the attitude that everyone should have as they drive through the gates race weekend. The one good thing is that if your emotions get the best of you and you run it off into that corner a little hard, the COTA has ample paved runoff so you should be able to whoa it down and head right back on the track. No gopher holes or ditches close to the edge of this track.
    +1

Don't understand all the negativity from those not attending. It's a free market - don't go if you don't like the cost, paddock, etc., but quit beating the horse - close to 600 have voted with their credit cards!

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Not too mention

Have you guys seen that there will be not one but TWO track walk/ride/golfcart/scooter walk (10 mph maximum) at this event?

Road America - WTFU!

Liked: 25

Default Bicycle Speeds

I think that bidycles will go down the section from Turn 9 to 11 a lot faster than 10 mph!
    - Frank C

Liked: 5

Remember that this track is being looked at for the Runoffs so let's be as helpful as possible.

Jim

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information