Liked: 183

Default FF floor pans, under trays, and radiator floors

Hey all,

I am new to formula cars and Formula Ford specifically. With the new rules published, I have a lot of noob-ish questions on the basic definitions of the "floor", "under tray" and how it relates to my swift FB 91.

this car is one of the euroswift versions. Notably, the radiator was moved to a side pod arrangement over it's previous location. The radiator covers and side pods run the length of the chassis, from the dashboard bulkhead down to the rear suspension mounts, just past the plane of the flywheel.

I have seen copies of this car where they run a radiator floor from the radiator opening to the flywheel.

Here is a swift FB 90 which shares the same side pods that I have. This copy has the full radiator floors. I saw cars racing in the run offs with this "configuration"
    I want to fabricate these floors into my car, but I want to be clear on which rules before I proceed.

side pod mounted

right side pod cover removed. Pay attention to the mounts for the body work.

On this car, all the side pod bodywork mounts have been fabricated using aluminum rods, on my car, it's a little worse. I have 2 1/4" steel rod welded to the frame. I think this is a safety issue, because these rods are long enough to penetrate any kevlar or CF side protection on the cockpit.

Here is a good pic of the side pod mounts on my car.

The aluminum rod is definitely safer than what I have, but I think I can do better than that if I can use the full radiator floor to re-enforce and brace the side pod bodywork.

I need some help interpreting the rules here. It looks there has been significant changes to the rules and I am more than a little confused here.

what parts of the rules D.3, D.4, D.5, others?? apply here?

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...20language.pdf

thanks in advance!

Liked: 1880

Chris:

Really not sure exactly what your question is, but in partial answer, the floorpan rules (as far as attaching them is concerned) is still the same for 2013 as it was for 2012, even if the wording is different.

You only need a "floorpan" under the frame itself from the front bulkhead to the rear roll hoop - aft of that is optional. Whatever you have under the sidepods would be considered an "undertray" or "sidepod bottoms", and can be attached and supported pretty much however you wish.

If you have a more specific question, I can try to give you a better answer.

thank you,

that really help clear up the issues.

Liked: 19

You have to read the rulebook, read the GCR FF chassis section before you make your move!

Quote Originally Posted by Modo View Post
    You have to read the rulebook, read the GCR FF chassis section before you make your move!
    I have been, the rules are clear as mud...

If I understand it right,

*I can install the radiator under tray/side pod floor as long as it basically flat to the plane of the belly pan (+- 25mm).

* No downward facing edges that might create an aerodynamic advantage (no skirts)

* I'll be safer if I make the side pod floors step up from the belly pan, and/or bevel them at an upward angle from the belly pan to the outside edge of the sidepod to prevent any perception of an aero advantage.

* no part of the sidepod floot can be lower than the front bulkhead (the lowest area that licks the airstream on the underside of the chassis.

* any part of the floor/undertray/sidepod floor can't be wider than 37" or what ever that measurement is (I cant' remember off the top of my head)

did I miss anything?

Thread Information