Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Liked: 0

Default gen 4 zx10r

I joined this board to look for a gen 4 Kawasaki zx10r motor. We race 1000cc mini sprints on dirt. I have raced the zx10r since 2004 when they first came out. The old 04 was no problem to find. I'm not sure the new one exist at all. I race Kaw's because everybody else races Yamahas and Suzukis and I like to be different. The Kaw does have a lot more wires, and granted we puked a lot of oil until we found the answer. The most powerful one is the gen 1 The driver could not stay on top of it on a slick track. The gen 2 was down on power but eiser to drive. The gen 3 was the best, almost as much power as the 1 but a lot easier to drive.

You guys b1tch as much or more than we do about rules, must be something to do with how racing people think. I love "COMPETITION" it brings out the best in people and machines. You all use different chassis's and motor combinations right now, usually because you think that your's is the hot set up. If Kaw is hot this year you can bet Honda or yamaha or suzuki are playing catch up.

Some people think we do not need winners and loosers. Everyone should be equal and not be made to feel bad by being called 1st looser, that is not the way most of us were raised. If Kaw is hot then everyone will be racing Kaw,s. From what I've read most of your motors don't last too long anyhow. Your cars are beautiful but very very costly. The motor cost shouldn't make a lot of difference to you. I have a whole set of Kaw's gen 1 ,2 and 3. Never blew one up. We only turn left and run aprox.25 times per year. On some of the faster tracks we may start the race and run the whole race wot at 13500+ rpm's. We use a deeper pan, run the oil level below the sight glass and move our oil pu to the far right side of the pan and vent out of the valve cover. We also use methanol which I think is the reason for the longer engine life, we don't have heating problems.

I like the dri sump idea, I have talked to Jessy about one but what I really want is a gen 4 motor. With 20+ Hp, It's a no brainer. You guys havent mentioned it but they also have a cassette transmission, you can change trans gears without taking the engine apart, they also have close ratio gears from the factory. I sure hope you guys outlaw these danged things, It would keep the price down on them and make them much easier for me to find.

It sounds like some of you guys need to sit down together, decide on one chassis maker, Pick a nice 10 year old spec motor, bring your cars to the race track and draw pills to see who drives which car for that race. Buy only one size trophy to awward every participant. That would be the political correct way to do things and leave all those new motors for us darned "durtracers".

If you ever get a chance you might want to try one of these mini-sprints on for size.

Jessy and a lot of guys say it is hard to get oil to the pump from the remote tank. I noticed in most of the pictures you use a short fat tank. Our tanks on the midgets are about 20" tall. That should raise the head pres. and make oil supply to the engine pump some what better.

Honest Dad himself
    Last edited by WRJ969; 02.13.12 at 12:31 AM.

Liked: 14

Honest Dad

You should post here more often. I agree on that there are no Kawi engines out there, I looked too. (on mini sprints websites
    Before I forget, how in the hell can you run flat out the whole race (13.5 k rpm) and not lifting ever, c'mon man. Most road courses are very demanding on the engine, mini sprints stay in one gear I assume. The one chassis and single engine idea would never happen, guaranteed, we have other Spec classes.

Also, we can't run methanol but Shell has a new line of racing fuels..... I'm just joking.

Anyways, in the end we are all trying to compete, some have the complete package, some don't. Good luck finding one or Call George Dean and sign in.
    Last edited by JRMarchand; 02.13.12 at 11:07 AM. Reason: pc

Default WOT

Quote Originally Posted by JRMarchand View Post
    Honest Dad

You should post here more often. I agree on that there are no Kawi engines out there, I looked too. (on mini sprints websites
    Before I forget, how in the hell can you run flat out the whole race (13.5 k rpm) and not lifting ever, c'mon man. Most road courses are very demanding on the engine, mini sprints stay in one gear I assume. The one chassis and single engine idea would never happen, guaranteed, we have other Spec classes.

Also, we can't run methanol but Shell has a new line of racing fuels..... I'm just joking.

Anyways, in the end we are all trying to compete, some have the complete package, some don't. Good luck finding one or Call George Dean and sign in.

We who race in the dirt are ultra hi-tec racers. We take advantage of modern day aero. We use a 16 sq foot wing right over the drivers head. The funny thing is, it is not the wing that really helps it is the giant number boards on the sides of the wings that that make the real difference. We run some wing races and some none wing. It's kinda of funny when we take the wings off the new kids drive down in the turn and forget they don't have a wing on, they turn hard left and are expecting that board to catch the wind at 80 + MPH and it aint there they just keep on going straight but now they are 180 degrees sideways . It takes two different driving styles to drive these things. Because of the wings our lap times on 1/3 mile tracks and smaller are as fast or faster than the 800 hp sprints w/o wings. and we do just flat foot it around some of the faster tracks. These are also the ones that could use a dri sump system we can keep most of the oil down but I know that egg beater on the right side is wipping up a lot of oil.

Honest Dad himself

Contributing Member
    Liked: 96

Quote Originally Posted by WRJ969 View Post

I sure hope you guys outlaw these danged things, It would keep the price down on them and make them much easier for me to find.
    Even if FB did outlaw a particular motor, DSR won't so there will still be racers looking for them.

Interesting comparison of the driveability of the first three motors.

Default the size of your slide rule? and the gen 4 kaw

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    That's not a slide rule...THIS is a slide rule.
    I got to surfing again and here I am at Apex. When I went to school back in the 60's best I can remember the slide rules value was measured in it's length, the longer your slide rule the better your outcome. Guess it was a geek thing. I even took a class in slide rule Best I can remember it was a 200 level course.

I found a 2011 zx10 the other day and I was wondering how and if it has worked in your cars yet. It sure is tall. The tranny is stacked and they went and put the oil filter in a very tall pan. The pump and pu is on the wrong side for us left handed racers. To me it looks like they made all their Hp in the head. They need to change the name from gen 4 to Big Cam. The intake cam is much larger than the older engines and the intake lifter buckets are also larger. Looks like all that HP is because of the head and throttle bodies.

I was just wondering if any of you guys have raced any of these things yet.

Dad

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information