Contributing Member
    Liked: 303

Default Motor home tires

I need to replace some tires on my motorhome used for towing. I have Michelin XPS tires now and would like to replace with the same. The Michelin web site recommends these for RV's in the size I need but when I call local dealers they tell me they are not available.

So what are people putting on thier motorhomes now?

Ed Callo

Liked: 852

FWIW, I put on a set of Chinese made DOUBLE COIN tires about 4 years ago. Have had no trouble with them in the 25 or so thousand miles I've driven since then. They were BY FAR the cheapest tire I could find. IIRC ~ $1600 / six - mounted and balanced. They aren't perfect - got a slight shimmy at about 66 MPH ... but it helps to keep me reminded that I might be going too fast :-). [There appears to be *NO* RV/TRUCK tires available in the USA that are rated for more than 65 MPH continuous!].

Steve, FV80

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1493

I have toyo M154s on my coach and they are rated to 75mph, and can go higher with pressure adjustment and load de-rating.

14 ply, 265-75R-22.5s 135L, about $1600 for a set of six

Liked: 3787

Default Toyo

I have been very happy with Toyo. We have put 50k miles on the RV the last few years on Toyo. I always have the installer throw in the proper number of "bead bags" to balance each tire. I rotate them every 15k to cut down on chatter wear on the fronts. I toss them at 7 years no matter how much tread. (Learn to read the date codes on each tire.)

Toyo

Banned
    Liked: 1116

What rim size are you talking about 19.5 or 22.5 or ?

Contributing Member

Default Size matters

I think that may be the problem. Though I have a Class A motorhome it has 16" rims. Find tires in that size for a motorhome seem to be the problem. Local dealer wants to sell me a light truck tire. But I would assume a lot of Class B's have 16" rims.

If only I have 3.5 more inches.

Ed

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by EACIII View Post
    I think that may be the problem. Though I have a Class A motorhome it has 16" rims. Find tires in that size for a motorhome seem to be the problem. Local dealer wants to sell me a light truck tire. But I would assume a lot of Class B's have 16" rims. (assuming/hoping that the rear corner weights are less than the 2680 rating of the tires).

Ed
    LT load range E may be your best option. Lots of sizes if you look at Tirerack's web site. Michelin currently has so many that it is difficult to compare the specs for different sizes since not all are available in each LT load range E version.

Our Class B has 225/75 x 16 load range E tires. Our rear axle weight fully loaded with FF on open trailer, full tank, etc. is 5060. This means that we use almost all the rated load at 80 psi on the rear.

At least one new class B comes with 245/75 x 16.

We use Michelin LT. I've seen current B's made in Canada with Hankook as I recall on a Ford chassis.

FYI our axle weights recently were 2840 F, 5060 R, and 2280 Trailer (single axle).

Dick
    CM 85

We have a 2008 Winnebago View 24J and I have been very happy with the Continental VanCo Four Seasons that came with it. 45,000 miles and they still have some wear left. Our size is 215/85R-16 and I just checked and they are $200 plus delivery from the Tire Rack.

Banned

I think that may be the problem. Though I have a Class A motorhome it has 16" rims. Find tires in that size for a motorhome seem to be the problem. Local dealer wants to sell me a light truck tire. But I would assume a lot of Class B's have 16" rims.

Ed
    For what it's worth, owning a class A with 19.5" tires, I found they are much harder to come by, fewer selections and more expensive than 22.5" tires. 22.5" tires are much more common on tractor trailers and are available at any major truck stop. The competition for the owner-operators' business has kept those prices, selection and availability in check.

Tirerack has one tire that fits my RV (19.5") and it's a $421each Load range F.

If you need new tires and you plan on keeping the RV for 2-3 more sets of tires you might be better off changing wheels and tires to 22.5"'s if you have the clearance.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

22.5 is the industry standard for eighteen wheelers.

And they would last a very long time on a motorhome given the relatively light loads they would be carrying.

Initial cost is through the roof, but you get what you pay for.

I remember in 1977 paying $300+ for Michelins in the 22.5 size.

Mr. Frog, please explain what the bean bags are that you have the installer throw in. New one to me.

Liked: 3322

Firestone has some excellent tires in LT 16". Transforce HT is the name.

Any good Firestone dealer should be able to get them for you in load range E, 215 to 265 in 16" rims. You should be able to get them for ~$200 or less from a discounter. For example, Tire Rack has the 245/75R16 load range E for $160. Description from Tire Rack below:
    -------------------------------------------------
    The Transforce HT w/UNI-T is Firestone's Commercial Highway All-Season light truck tire developed to combine comfort with light truck tire capability for sport utility vehicle, pickup, van and commercial vehicle drivers. The Transforce HT is designed primarily for on-road use by providing predictable handling and year-round traction on dry and wet roads, as well as in light snow.

On the outside, Transforce HT radials feature an all-season Long Link Carbon tread compound molded into a symmetric tread design that uses notched shoulders, independent intermediate tread blocks and a continuous center rib to blend handling, foul weather traction and straight line tracking. Wide circumferential grooves provide hydroplaning resistance while lateral grooves and multiple sipes provide the biting edges needed to enhance light snow traction. On the inside, twin steel belts reinforced by spiral-wrapped nylon help maintain the tire's shape to enhance performance at highway speeds while a polyester cord body enhances ride quality.
    -------------------------------------------
    My comment: These are clones of Bridgestone LT tires, and all of the quality of Bridgestone carries over. The spiral wrap around the belt edges assures high-speed durability. I have been running these (8.75R16.5 and 9.50R16.5 LR E) on my tow vehicle (74 G30 Chevy Van) since 2007 with no problems.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 11

I need to replace some tires on my motorhome used for towing. I have Michelin XPS tires now and would like to replace with the same. The Michelin web site recommends these for RV's in the size I need but when I call local dealers they tell me they are not available.

So what are people putting on thier motorhomes now?

Ed Callo
    ED,
    Confirm your size and I can check availability of the XPS or the appropriate Michelin replacement by Monday.
    Peter Calhoun
    Motorsport Manager- Michelin North America, Inc.
    Swift DB1-86 FF1600 (bye-bye 3.12)
    2009-10 SCCA CM National Champions

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1493

There's a guy here in ridgecrest with a tire shop that never sells tires - he's too damn expensive. What he has done is source conversion wheels for duallys to increase the size from 16s to 19.5s. A lot of 5ers and guys with BIG slide in campers are well over the tire capacity, so a conversion to 19.5s gets you into the serious load rating range.

That's an option, although the cost of entry is pretty high.

Contributing Member

Default Tire size

My current tires are 7.50R-16, they tell me the replacement size is 235 85-16.

Ed

Ed
    Are your current tires load range G? (Tirerack shows a low stock Yokohama for your size which is load range G) If so, what is the weight on each axle? It appears, at least from Tirerack, that the 235/85 x 16's are all load range E. The Yoko G's are rated at 3330 lbs at 100 psi, the Michelin E's are 3042 at 80 psi max.

Dick

Liked: 11

Ed
    Ed,
    There are now two different model Michelin XPS; XPS Rib (summer) or XPS Traction (all season) and the 235/85R-16 LRE is a popular replacement for the old 7.50R-16 size.

XPS Rib, sku # 13080 is in stock in various Michelin warehouses around the country or is in stock at Tire Rack.

XPS Traction, sku # 36496 is the same, inventory is available from both

Michelin Info:
    http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...ry/light-truck

Tire Rack link:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...85&diameter=16

Hope this helps.
    Peter Calhoun
    Motorsport Manager- Michelin North America, Inc.
    Swift DB1-86 FF1600 (bye-bye 3.12)
    2009-10 SCCA CM National Champions

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    For what it's worth, owning a class A with 19.5" tires, I found they are much harder to come by, fewer selections and more expensive than 22.5" tires. 22.5" tires are much more common on tractor trailers and are available at any major truck stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    22.5 is the industry standard for eighteen wheelers.

And they would last a very long time on a motorhome given the relatively light loads they would be carrying.

Initial cost is through the roof, but you get what you pay for.
    While the 22.5"'s are still more common than 24.5"s, the trend is definitely going the route of the 24.5"s.

22.5"'s are cheaper than 19.5"'s on average...I only see that trend leaning more towards the 22.5"s being even cheaper.

Tires-easy.com has almost 300 different tire models in an 11R22.5; 180+ of those models are cheaper than the ONE model that tirerack has in a 245/70-19.5.

Contributing Member

Thanks Peter, I will try to get the XPS 235/85R-LRE's on Monday. If my local tire guy can't get I will order from TireRack. Just I am on the road and on stop shopping is easier when you are never home.

And I want this done so I can make the Watkins Glen F1600 race.

Ed
    Last edited by EACIII; 09.30.12 at 9:24 AM. Reason: add more stuff

Thread Information