Liked: 0

Default BRD Dry Sump for ZX-10R

Not that I'm thinking about doing this...

But.

Does anyone have any experience with BRD's ZX-10R dry sump (11+)? What's missing from their kit, if anything? It seems like, from their description, they use the output for the water pump -- does an electric pump replace the engine-driven one?

Is it a required modification for this engine, or can we risk a wet sump + accusump or something?

Liked: 126

Chris,
    BRD does outstanding work. Fitment is perfect on my ZX-10R dry sump. All parts are included as well. A wet sump is a difficult proposition for this engine. Jesse, Gary Hickman, and I are all on the same sheet here. The BRD dry sump uses the stock oil pump as the pressure pump and runs a dual scavenge gear pump in place of the water pump on the left side. For water pump, I've used both the little Davies Craig booster pump as well as the larger pump. The larger pump did a much better job of purging air.

Thanks for the info, RobLav.

Honestly, I was a bit surprised at how low they have it priced. It /looks/ like it's just a matter of doing the plumbing work, if their photo on their website is representative of what they provide. I guess it makes sense if there's no extra oil pump to buy, though.

What about an oil tank? Possible to use one from what I have pre-conversion? IE, the existing oil tank on a pinto-powered FC.

Liked: 126

The best welder I have ever seen (Nick Fuhs) just made a new tank for me. My last one was about $550.00.

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default Testament

Re: Jesse at BRD and his kawasaki dry sump kit..
    I have seen first hand. as well seen it on the dyno first hand.

Absolutely amazing !! outstanding job and machining/design skills..

His designs are well thought out and meticulously scrutinized by himself to always do better.

he recently moved to a much bigger shop.. congrats.. more machine space? I bet.

The pump design was proven a few weeks ago with Rod Rice driving and completing a race as well with good data on performance and reliability !
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Wha

Quote Originally Posted by Cblough View Post
    Thanks for the info, RobLav.

Honestly, I was a bit surprised at how low they have it priced. It /looks/ like it's just a matter of doing the plumbing work, if their photo on their website is representative of what they provide. I guess it makes sense if there's no extra oil pump to buy, though.

What about an oil tank? Possible to use one from what I have pre-conversion? IE, the existing oil tank on a pinto-powered FC.
    You have a Pinto FC that has a seperate oil tank that is NOT incorporated into the hollow/sealed portion of the bellhousing?

Liked: 23

Just curious- how many ZX-10R projects are out there, and where did the engines come from?

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    You have a Pinto FC that has a seperate oil tank that is NOT incorporated into the hollow/sealed portion of the bellhousing?
    No, standard VD setup. I was toying with the idea of incorporating the bellhousing into the design of the conversion. After talking to a few people over the past 2 days...yeah. That idea is a no go. It won't save me money, and it just adds weight. I'm better off designing a proper rear clip and getting an oil tank welded up/buying one.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default The tank I would try to use

or at least copy, is the Peterson unit that is intended for a newer Corvette.
    It's tall and skinny, just like the cheapo I had on my NovaDiemen, but splits in the middle for ease of cleaning, etc...

The cheapo was a Speedway Motors catalog deal just under 6" diameter which required slight dimpling to fit inbetween the frame rails on the ND. It did not split in half, rather unbolted, but that style then would not allow full width de-aeration plates, whereas a style that splits, does.

The DSR guys (when they were running dry sump that is) seemed to favor the Peterson "Flower Pot", often times mounted directly behind a cooler in their very spacious sidepods. This thing allways struck me as too fat, but I think they woulda had to mod the body to go tall and skinny?

It turns out that he location I choose on the ND car was perfect, in that it allowed a very short run from tank to pan inlet. If I had to do it again I'd run -8 to the cooler and from cooler to tank, and -12 from tank to pan.

Which car or chassis do you have?

GC

A 97 Van Diemen. Part of the problem I'm running into is that none of the kits are really made for this car. I'm sort of left to my own devices with a conversion, as far as I know. This, along with my constitutional inability to make a decision, is the reason I haven't decided to just go for it, and start a conversion. It's a big chunk of change, and leaves me with no car until it's done.

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by Cblough View Post
    A 97 Van Diemen. Part of the problem I'm running into is that none of the kits are really made for this car. I'm sort of left to my own devices with a conversion, as far as I know. This, along with my constitutional inability to make a decision, is the reason I haven't decided to just go for it, and start a conversion. It's a big chunk of change, and leaves me with no car until it's done.
    Mike Devins makes a very nice kit for your Van Dieman.

His email is hrp-llc@comcast.net

Thanks ... Jay Novak

Thread Information