Liked: 0

Default Suspension Priorities in F1000 (and high DF cars in general)

In general, what are the priorities for F1000 suspension design? Given the relatively high downforce nature of these cars, when we are compromising on suspension movement, are we more concerned about camber change, roll center (Force-based or kinematic, take your pick), or what? There's plenty of info out there on how to calculate all of that stuff...

But. All the literature I've read is contradictory most of the time. Any guidance out there?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 99

Default High Download Suspension Design

The main priority is stability of the aero platform. As Colin Chapman said, any suspension will work if you don't let it.
    M

Liked: 151

You are unlikely to ever get the successful car builders to come off of the information you are asking for. You are certainly not the first person/other car builder to ask.

I will admit that I like e-nickeled suspension members. Shiny.

Liked: 1403

I will bite.

It is relatively easy to figure out what you want for a FF, no wings. The down force cars make things more complicated because the car will do a slow corner at one ride height and do a high speed corner at a completely different ride height.

Down force varies with speed. So does aero balance. And chassis pitch changes with speed. Just knowing what you are dealing with at each speed is very complicated. Even knowing how much down force you will deal with is difficult to determine in practice. I have yet to see any wind tunnel data that gives an indication of the balance change that might come with variations in speed.

Make a spring change at one end of the car and all bets are off.

Liked: 159

Default suspension does move

Steve summed it up pretty well......aero adds a lot more variables.

I will add that at our level of downforce the suspension does move enough to make the suspension geometry remain important to both grip, balance, and transient response. In any design, optimizing one thing will ultimately result in a compromise in something else.....and until you accept that reality it will be very frustrating.

Jerry

Liked: 1403

Default Tires

I will add that every thing revolves around the tires you are using. By Watkins Glen, there will not be a single suspension geometry variable that will not be changed.

I am having to make major changes in every suspension variable just to adapt to the tires I am using this year vs. those I used in years past. That is both FF and FC. FB is now back to tires that we know.

Liked: 0

Thanks for all of the replies.

This is a complicated business. Then again, if it was easy (and cheap) everyone would be doing it.

Thread Information