Liked: 0

Default 008 or RT 41 which would you buy

Just starting to look, pro's and con???
    Any thoughts

Thanks Mark

Liked: 1

What do you intend to do with the car? Track days? SCCA Nationals? Atlantic Championship series?

Liked: 13

Post oo8 or RT-41

I think it is no contest.

If I could fit the tight driver compartment I Would Buy a RALT RT-41 hands down.

IMHO it is a better way to go for SCCA racing.

You asked. REMEMBER: There are very real reasons the 008 market valuation is way less then the 41s is.

Can a 008 be made to do better with $$$ put in to her, YES... But you still have a 008 whos market value is lower when its time to sell. Investmet is lost.

if your doing something else, then maybe other things apply.

Good Luck.

M.
    Last edited by Malfred; 07.28.12 at 2:53 PM.

Liked: 2

a few things to think of .... how tall and wide are you ? You obviously need to fit in car. Do you prefer a sequential or H box ? Spares availability etc.

I have been growing into my 008 and enjoying the process. If you review recent results both 41s and 008s can get the job done. Paul was impressive in his 41 in last pro race while Sedat took his 008 to a win a MidOhio June National on Saturday in the 1:22s.

Either car is a good option, a 41/008 is unlikely to bring one a pro championship. That being said however both cars can do well in Nationals and are unlikely to be out driven by most club racers.

I personally will never go back to a tube chassis and would be happy to talk to you any time regarding my 008 experience.
    "The visibility at the best of times is liable to be a bit hazy due to clouds of ignorance"... Carroll Smith

Liked: 5

Default 41 or 008

I have never driven the 008 chassis but I have driven the RT41 and it was the best race car I have ever driven. When the 008 first arrived on the scene the pro series had to handicap the 41s to stop the whining of the teams that bought the new 008s bacause the Ralt was faster. I haven't followed closely all the updates that were done to the 008 to make it better but there were some pretty substantial changes as I recall. I don't know if they improved the pace of the car or if it was safety or reliability they were chasing. By the time the 008 arrived on the scene the 41s were very sorted out and the best ones had undergone some serious development by some very talented engineers so the comparison leaves some major questions as how a "stock" 41 compared to a "stock" 008. Whatever car you are looking at make sure you ask a lot of questions because there are some big differences in the cars of the same make and model.

Just curious, when SCCA runs a National at Mid Ohio do they run straight up to the key hole or do they use the chicane right before that corner?
    Steve O'Hara

Liked: 24

I would enjoy seeing you run at the pro level again Steve.

Default Thanks

I am using it for SCCA club racing , Luckily I am 5'7 so fitting in a car has never been a problem. Cost wise it looks like a 008 is worth about 5000 to 10,000 less then a 41 . I am a little partial to the Ralt having had a RT 5 SV pro car , but had alot of fun in a Reynard FF Thanks

Mark

Default Just to complicate things some more...

The legal engines for 2013 may change from what they are today. You'll be safe with a 1600cc engine, but the others may or may not be usable next year.

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by Paul LeCain View Post
    The legal engines for 2013 may change from what they are today. You'll be safe with a 1600cc engine, but the others may or may not be usable next year.
    Oh, I'm quite confident that those on the CRB and F/SRAC who have invested in the 1800cc Toyota will ensure it remains the engine of choice...
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 2

yes out of the "box" the 41 was the clear choice. I think the 008 development got cut short when the 14 came to life.

My big feet and long legs don't work in a 41 so went with the 8. Updates can be made to make these cars better just takes some effort and some $.

If your partial to the Ralt then find a good one and buy it. Nothing like some good laps in a FA car.

I see your in NY as well. Get yourself a FA sort it out and get to the Glen !!
    "The visibility at the best of times is liable to be a bit hazy due to clouds of ignorance"... Carroll Smith

Default Ralt vs 008

I tested an 008, then the RT41. No question the Ralt was a better car. I bought the Ralt and have since bought a Swift 16. I still prefer to race the Ralt, but believe the durability of the Mazda motor, despite the weight penalty, is a plus for the '16. By the way, B Sunier has raced both, and he always preferred the Ralt. Also, if you are interested, my Ralt is highly developed and has a new top flight complete CDS data system and Chase Cam video system in it.
    Charles C. Duncan
    Swift 016a #98/99

lot's of good info, Thanks everyone

Contributing Member quartzracer's Avatar
    Liked: 5

Default Try something different

There's a Raven for sale here at Apexspeed. Nicely done and fast.

Eric

Thread Information