Liked: 1

If you go the insert route don't use Helicoils. Go for a steel threaded insert--Check MSC catalog for a vast array of options or let your prep shop chose but make sure they use steel threaded inserts. I am wondering how your threads got worn out. As it is an older car do you have to use the bolts to bring the casting/frame to mating? My 95 is a little sprung back there and it takes a little persuasion. If your car is way off you might want to get the problem fixed instead of simply wearing out more threads. Just a thought.
    Barry Haynie
    FC #9 WDCR

Liked: 6

Hi, on my '92 VD the threads on the frame where the transaxle bolts up are becoming worn out. I am looking for suggestions on possible options to fix. An insert would be possible I have concerns on strength and longevity. They could be welded up and retapped also as an option. Any thoughts? Thanks, David

Liked: 6

Hi Barry, thanks for the reply. I've only had the car for little while and it looks like the threads were already worn when I got it. Things seem to line up good so it may be that enough attention wasn't paid pulling it apart and back together. I don't know of the MSC catalog. Where can I find it? Thanks, David

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

www.mscdirect.com
    www.mcmaster.com
    www.grainger.com
    www.aircraftspruce.com

If you can't find what you're looking for at one of these sites, it probably doesn't exist.

Barry, I'm not sure there's enough wall to allow him to use a keensert. But if there is, definitely the way to go...

I think those threads are born sloppy.
    You know you're old when all your driving heros are collecting Social Security...

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

If you are going to go through the trouble of fixing those threads, I would take the time to put studs in there and make it easy to line up the chassis and bellhousing.

Liked: 1

The bushes in these frames incorporate a locating dowel. The amount of material in this area is minimal and any insert will likely cause the bushing to fail. Many times the bushing is deeper than the bolt length in use: run tap down the hole and see if a longer bolt will pick up fresh threads. Lots of threads get buggered on VD's because people get SAE and metric fasteners mixed on these cars. Always use anti-seize on bellhousing bolts. The use of studs will hog out holes when the bellhousing slides on and off. Worst case: the frame will have to be jigged-up and new bushes fitted. Good luck.

Thread Information