Liked: 309

I have a few questions regarding the "camber-change" method (caster ≈ 1.4 x camber change for +/- 20 degrees steer) as outlined in the DaveW seminar handouts (thanks Dave!):

~ Is the total sweep of the steering change 20 or 40 degrees? That is, do you steer 20 degrees left to measure and then sweep 40 degrees to the right and measure? I'm thinking (and hoping) that the total sweep is 20 degrees as the maximum lock I can attain in either direction is 15 degrees.
    ~ Does it matter at what point you take your measurements? For example, for a total of 20 degrees sweep, can I measure at +/- 10 degrees, or does the method require a measurement at 0 and left or right 20 degrees?
    ~ Just to confirm, the driver must be in the car right (better stated, the car must be at it's front ride height)? I'm fairly certain is this the case as my camber will change by 0.5 degree once I jump out of the car.

Thanks,
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 611

pru,
    To get a number that is correct with given caster numbers, you need to go 20 deg. left, then past straight to 20 deg right. In other words, 40 degrees total. If your vehicle won't travel that far, then the numbers you may be trying to reference to will be different.Start by measuring the wheel in question, with it pointed out, first ( as done with a normal caster gauge).
    It does not matter, for caster, weither you're in the car or not. Camber change is camber change, just the starting point will differ.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff,Inc.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 309

Thanks Keith!
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Thread Information