Thread: Pertronix?

Liked: 3

Default Pertronix?

I'm thinking of swapping my points for a Pertronix kit.

Question: I searched and, it appears, the part number for the Bosch distributor is 1843. But, I also found some old threads that suggest there are multiple Bosch distributors and multiple Pertronix possibilities? That doesn't make sense, to me. Seems the internal hardware would be the same across any 4cyl Bosch distributor made for the 1600 Kent application...but, that's just a guess.

So, is the 1843 number good? And, is the Pertronix really a "must do" mod?

btw, prices range from $164.99 on the high end to $67.99 on the low end for the part #1843 kit, with the mainstream sellers, like Summit and Amazon, right at $103.

Liked: 49

Cheapest I found was a local VW parts dealer for $89CDN. Pegasus sells a whole new Pertronix distributor for FF 1600, ignitor already installed, for $299.

Liked: 309

Default Pertronix 1843...

Quote Originally Posted by mwood View Post
    So, is the 1843 number good? And, is the Pertronix really a "must do" mod?

btw, prices range from $164.99 on the high end to $67.99 on the low end for the part #1843 kit, with the mainstream sellers, like Summit and Amazon, right at $103.
    Yep, 1843 is the number and yes, without a doubt, it is a "must do" mod just simply for the reason that you never have to check dwell or point gap again.
    Last edited by -pru-; 05.17.12 at 11:25 PM.
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 49

If you're anything like me and were born in a decade were cars didn't come with points anymore, yup, it's a must do mod

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago Santos View Post
    If you're anything like me and were born in a decade were cars didn't come with points anymore, yup, it's a must do mod
    Conversely, if you are anything like me and were born before transistors were common there is nothing scary about points and there are no mystery potential failures.

The only reason I've never installed the Petronix unit purchased from Neil Porter many years ago is the concern that if I accidently bump the ignition switch "on" while the master switch is on the Petronix will burn out. Plus I own a couple of dwell meters.

For an autocross car points stay in adjustment for a loooooong time.

Dick
    CM 85

Liked: 73

Default Pertronix

Keep in mind when the Pertronix units fail.... it is hard to looka them and tell what is wrong versus a good set of points.

I had a unit fail.... scratched my head for a long time tryng to figure it out. Eventualy went back to points and all was good.

Aaron

Liked: 610

Default swap to Pertronix

Nothing in the performance department to gain for your vehicle.
    I've switched some back to points.
    Single word answer......................Don't
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 9

Doesn't the Pertronix unit have a built in rev limiter?
    All this new stuff for 40+ yr old Kent motors, better be cautious Of course, I should talk. I refuse to sign up for Facebook.
    Mark
    Last edited by mwizard; 05.18.12 at 12:23 PM.
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 3

Pertronix does make a stand alone rev limiter (I recently installed one), but I don't think they make an Ignitor that includes that capability.

Liked: 34

Default see the light!

How about an optical solution?

http://www.mesaperformance.com/web_s...l&category=yes

$125

"Crane-Allison's patented optical system, the XR700 is the world's most popular most popular ignition for modernizing point-type systems. An L.E.D. emitter-detector replaces the stock points in your distributor. Legal in all 50 states, the unit carries a limited lifetime warranty, and is transferable to another car. (If a worn, wobbly distributor shaft is causing erratic ignition, installing the XR700 will cure the problem)."

Thread Information