Liked: 34

Default W Duct in the front wing of F1 cars

Why am I always the last to hear about these things?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0-o2...ture=fvwp&NR=1

Liked: 183

Quote Originally Posted by Dave SanF 50 View Post
    Why am I always the last to hear about these things?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0-o2...ture=fvwp&NR=1

maybe because you don't read the right blogs..

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/

ducks and runs....

I think that technology is really interesting, but it looks like it has limitations. In china with rosburg's fight with the force india at the end of the race I think uncovered a flaw in the design. Rosburg kept cutting off his DRS a second or two before the force india car and as a result had one hell of a time passing the car.

I can only think of 2 reasons why he would need to do that.

1) the blown front wing prevents the mercedes from getting too close to the back of the car in front (front wing losing too much down force???)

2) He needs to shut down the DRS early to recover the extra downforce to assist in braking.

either way, it is a remarkable technology, but man... I wish F1 was not so dependent on aerodynamics.

Liked: 183

Here's one for ya...

How about pit adjustable brake ducting to manage tire temps?

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/0...r-brake-ducts/

McLaren has been running them this season, and rumor is that they ran a similar system last year. So far, the adjustable ducting bypasses the park ferme rules.

now that is interesting

Liked: 268

Default Mercedes ducts

Having been involved with air moving for over 35 years if the drawings in Motorsport are close to being reality I would have to question if there is any air moving at any velocity from the rear to the front when the ducts are open. When you have as many twists and turns in ductwork that has small amounts of sq. inches of area the attending friction from boundary layers formed in the flow along with the resistance in the twists & turns would seem to me to reduce the velocity to nearly zero unless there are boosting fans of some sort along the way. Just saying.............

Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Kehoe View Post
    Having been involved with air moving for over 35 years if the drawings in Motorsport are close to being reality I would have to question if there is any air moving at any velocity from the rear to the front when the ducts are open. When you have as many twists and turns in ductwork that has small amounts of sq. inches of area the attending friction from boundary layers formed in the flow along with the resistance in the twists & turns would seem to me to reduce the velocity to nearly zero unless there are boosting fans of some sort along the way. Just saying.............
    You're forgetting that the input is in a very high pressure zone (the top of the rear wing main plane), while the outlet is in a very low pressure zone (the bottom of the front wing). This pressure difference alone should be enough to get significant airfow - it's not being "forced" by the inertia of the car.

Liked: 268

Default W duct

High pressure or not the internal friction can reduce the airflow to nearly nothing in a hurry. If you want to prove it take a funnel, attach a small dia tube to it, loop it around several times, maybe 5 or 6' long, hold it out a window (the funnel) at highway speeds to catch the "high pressure" air and see how much of a dribble of air you get at the end of the tube! There is something else going on there if it works as described.

Liked: 7

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Kehoe View Post
    High pressure or not the internal friction can reduce the airflow to nearly nothing in a hurry. If you want to prove it take a funnel, attach a small dia tube to it, loop it around several times, maybe 5 or 6' long, hold it out a window (the funnel) at highway speeds to catch the "high pressure" air and see how much of a dribble of air you get at the end of the tube! There is something else going on there if it works as described.
    I envision 8 ninety degree bends end to end.
    Blog Pics of the nose bulkhead show ~ 1 3/4in ID duct.
    Impossible to say what size the inter-tub cross-sections are
    Maybe enough to flow at 150(?)
    Last edited by Rick Kean; 05.18.12 at 10:25 AM. Reason: add 3rd line

Thread Information