Liked: 0

Default Adding Oil to Fuel?

The guy who owns the shop where I store my FM and whose mechanics provide me trackside support, said he had heard that it might be desirable to add some oil to the fuel in my FM. I have never heard of that.

Does anybody know if this works? If so, how much oil per gallon of fuel, and why?

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Does your motor run the stock oiling pump? If so, you don't need to.

I didn't trust my oil pump on my 12A powered cars so I disabled and mixed a good 2 stroke oil at 1 to 1.5 ounces per gallon.

Liked: 14

The Drummond FM engine has the oil metering pump on duty. It can't be removed per the rules in FM.
    Use about minimum 1.5 ounces to a full tank, its not much but its already mixed and will give you a bit more sealing and lubrication.
    Remember that the oil metering systems were designed for street use and should not be trusted completely.
    It may also be desirable if you are trying to lower the octane of a spec fuel, in FM its ok to use oil and "dilute octane" and I never had problems using up to 4 ounces to a full race fill (10 gallons usually for me)
    Like you, this is mostly information i gathered overtime, no specific references so it could all be correct.

Marchand Juan

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

What is the best octane number?

Brian

Liked: 384

I put 4 to6 ounces of race kart two stroke oil per every 5 gallons of fuel.
    Engine gets extra lubrication for apex seals which gives you solid compression.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Contributing Member flat tappet's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Idemitsu is the only synthetic racing oil(and street oil) made especially for rotary engines in Japan. They also make a premix to add to the gas but "not to be added to any fuel that contains ethanol".

Please see the following link:

http://www.mazdatrix.com/q-supply.htm

every Formula Mazda racer should be using this oil and you can get it from Mazdatrix in CA. Very good folks!

Liked: 9

Default Opinions differ......that's racing.

It's been a few years since I've talked to Drummond, but last I heard, he had always said these engines need 1/2 oz of 2 sroke oil for each gallon of gas. But then when I had some engine issues a few years ago and thought I might have some seals sticking open, I talked to Moses who told me he thought the engine metering system was adequate and he was not adding oil to his cars. He may think differently now, but that's what he said then. And it wasn't April 1st.

So, there you go, 2 diametrically opposed opinions from 2 of the most knowledgable guys in the FM standard car world.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Liked: 27

Default Per Drummond

Our team runs the cheaper Royal Purple semi synthetic street blend oil in the motor, Daryl says it burns cleaner, and we also mix 2 ounces of Lucas smokeless 2 stroke oil per gallon of race fuel. Go dyno any combination you choose to run to discover at what EGT or Lambda reading puts out max power.

Liked: 610

Default Adding oil to fuel

Over the years I've sold Redline 2-stroke race oil, for use in many Mazda rotory engined vehicles. It doesn't take much to help I'm told.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

Does the oil help lower the octane rating to the benefit of performance?

Performance issues with using too much oil?

Brian

Liked: 384

I have just spoken to Mazdatrix guys.
    According to them ,you would have to use 1/2 ounce of their special oil per gallon of fuel.
    They recommend using 87 octane as it burns fastest and cleanest for 13 b rotary non turbo application.They sell quart for $ 6'75 .
    I picked up two and will report back on results.
    These facts are for non turbo applications only.

Hope this clears all concerns.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    Does the oil help lower the octane rating to the benefit of performance?

--perhaps, but that's not the primary reason for utilizing the oil in the fuel. You could just start with a fuel of the proper octane rating that contains all the other things that help make HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32
    Performance issues with using too much oil?
    Of course. Using a gallon of oil for every gallon of fuel certainly isn't going to promote good hp.

1:128 to 1:85 was the ratio I utilized. Others on this thread have suggested ratios as low a 1:256.

The aviation world that uses the rotary in their small planes tend to utilize an aftermarket pump and reservoir of 2 stroke oil. They mix at a ratio of 1:100.

Thread Information